• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen strap vs Trusted strap makers

Drwildcat15

Horology Curious
25/3/13
Hey everyone, I recently began adding to my rep collection and am becoming increasingly interested in modding/frankens as well. Please allow me to thank everyone for how informative and helpful you all are, as well as thank everyone for their inspirational ideas with regards to modding, custom straps, and really all of the other cool things you guys do to your watches.

Moving forward, I was wondering what everyones opinions are regarding Gen straps? I have a Donerix strap which is absolutely awesome and comfortable, and I just purchased an AP with a HKtan strap which I am excited to enjoy as well. But, I have read a lot on here that nothing compares to gen, and I have to say I agree with that statement, not only with rep watches, but pretty much everything. Generally no one makes anything as well the people who were originally meant to make it, and I fully believe you get what you pay for.

So, I have just purchased my first Franken (15400), and although I plan on modding it further, one of the first things I want to do is purchase a new strap. For those of you with many different watches and straps from multiple sources, including gen AP straps, how does the quality compare? Is it a noticeable difference between the two? I see most of you purchase straps from the strap makers on this forum rather than buy gen AP straps, is that because they offer more styles/options, they are more comfortable, or just because they are a little cheaper?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: gilrob