• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen 42mm PO crystal = $180.00 USD really?

tjdilla

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/12
Even consider paying $180. for a watch crystal that wasn't firmly affixed to a functioning wristwatch..???
I've got to admit, after @ 5 years of watching "UPOmania" manifest itself as one of the most insidious afflictions in "repdom", only rivaled by "Bestsubitis",it has been amusing!!:wub::wub::picard:

why are you even on this forum if thats your view then?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08

Well don't be hard with him chou...

Its like moding your car, or your boobs or you d!ck... This a very personal matter :lol:

tjdilla

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/12
Well don't be hard with him chou...

Its like moding your car, or your boobs or you d!ck... This a very personal matter :lol:

no i didnt mean to start an argument or anything of the sort.....

but whats the point if your so above the "UPOmania" in coming into the omega area, and then into a UPO thread and then laughing at people modding their UPO to make it more personal and improve their own possession?

i dont walk into church and tell them i find their views amuse me....

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
no i didnt mean to start an argument or anything of the sort.....

but whats the point if your so above the "UPOmania" in coming into the omega area, and then into a UPO thread and then laughing at people modding their UPO to make it more personal and improve their own possession?

i dont walk into church and tell them i find their views amuse me....

Well i don't want to thread crap and take it into something else, but you have a point. Well who am i to talk about modding? As i said this is a personal issue, and i can understand someone who doesn't want to get involved with the sport, and of course i don't judge him..

I mean that damn crystal is 180$..! :lol:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I mean that damn crystal is 180$..! :lol:

$180? !

It's free when you buy the Gen........
IMAG1749.jpg

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
You know I'm still having a hard time justifying whether it's necessary to buy the gen crystal or not. I mean I see more of a reason to buy the end links right now. There's definitely more flaws in those.

I fish through so many rep vs gen photos and the rep crystal doesn't look that off. It's all lighting...I'm lookin at it on my wrist outside right now and the blue looks identical to Q's photo.

The thing that ties me up is can I put the $$$ to another mod that really needs it I guess.

Ughhhh I don't know

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well here is a reason to buy the gen crystal

DSC02426.jpg

And i can give you a second one

DSC02277.jpg

And if still can't persuade you Kevin here is another one

DSC01884.jpg

If you still have second thoughts, i can say you that the difference between the rep and the gen is very big. The dial just pops out with the gen...

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Just for perspective for newbies:..>>>>

And amusement at the level of "anality" that has developed in this hobby over the 6 years I've been involved in it, is not the least of them!!
:pirates::pirates:

Here's a "necropost" from 6 years ago over on RWG:
http://www.rwg.cc/topic/12207-so-which-generation-po-are-we-on-now/

So I've been watching the "UPO follies" for quite a while now!!.....

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
And amusement at the level of "anality" that has developed in this hobby over the 6 years I've been involved in it, is not the least of them!!
:pirates::pirates:

Here's a "necropost" from 6 years ago over on RWG:
http://www.rwg.cc/topic/12207-so-which-generation-po-are-we-on-now/

So I've been watching the "UPO follies" for quite a while now!!.....

Not sure what your MO is following the "franken" threads here. I think you can even admit to being a little anal about things too. I mean stickers? Really? That's anal dude. ;) Just sayin.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-idiot-proof-74827?t=74827

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/need-inexpensive-001-63346?t=63346

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/need-set-movement-55334?t=55334

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Did someone say stickers???

My little one would be willing to send a few to someone in need.....

dsc00343gh.jpg

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
I have to agree on going with the gen crystal. (dial, hands, crown, tube, HEV, bezel and clasp too.)
But I'm very surprised with anyone that's purchased a 5th generation PO and didn't "rush" to go with gen SEL's immediately.
IMO, no matter what you do to the Franken 42mm PO, that huge, gawd-awful gap between the last bracelet link and the SEL screams replica....to me anyway.
Or maybe mine was the only one that had that terrible gap...??

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I have to agree on going with the gen crystal. (dial, hands, crown, tube, HEV, bezel and clasp too.)
But I'm very surprised with anyone that's purchased a 5th generation PO and didn't "rush" to go with gen SEL's immediately.
IMO, no matter what you do to the Franken 42mm PO, that huge, gawd-awful gap between the last bracelet link and the SEL screams replica....to me anyway.
Or maybe mine was the only one that had that terrible gap...??

My 5G with rep bracelet.....

SAM_1360b.png

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
The gaps are hard to notice on mine. I have a 6.75" wrist and the bracelet starts to bend right at the end links.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Hmmm i hadn't notice that before you mentioned it... Maybe there a small one mine...

Also the first one is with thicker spring bars. See how the gap get smaller there?

DSC02525.jpg

DSC02528.jpg

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
There are other options. Mine doesn't look so bad.

DSCN3267.jpg

Or a nice black Hirsch. I actually like this the best.

DSCN4268.jpg

sunnydale

29/8/09
Well here is a reason to buy the gen crystal

And i can give you a second one

And if still can't persuade you Kevin here is another one

If you still have second thoughts, i can say you that the difference between the rep and the gen is very big. The dial just pops out with the gen...

Nice pictures Mr. Pap! This is a really interesting topic and I wanted to give my 50 cent to it. I took my Franken UPO and installed the original rep crystal to my other UPO to see the difference. I had installed my own double AR coated crystal to my other UPO previously so I did not remember how big the difference is!

In certain lighting, yes, the difference is not big. I would say there is no difference.

IMG_2164.jpg

But most of the time, the difference is huge! There is so much reflections due to one side AR that the dial looks very cloudy.

IMG_2166.jpg

Did Omega changed the AR at some point for the gen crystals? It seems that Q5? crystal has more bluish tint than mine.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Figures. I've purchased 2 of the 5G PO's..one directly from Lay before he flew the nest and one from another member, originating from Josh.
I don't have the rep SEL's installed to show referrence any longer but rest assured the gaps FAR exceeded that of Q5's and Mr. Paps (which aren't bad at all)
Mr Pap...your gap is minimal but gen SEL's fix that angle you're referring to.
KBH...SWEET on a Black Rubber...very nice.
GREAT pics and info from all. Good thread here.

KBH...I just noticed that Hirsch with curved ends. SWEET !!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
One more input from me. I haven't the bracelet installed at the moment (i will update once i put it on) but initially i purchased thicker spring bars from ebay. The gap was still there, smaller, but existed.

After a few changes i noticed the gap got bigger! What happened there is that nipples of the bars got loose from changing the straps. I then purchased the ones from cousins. Huge difference! With the rubber now on, the gap vanished...

So get yours from cousins too, ebay ones aren't good enough.