• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Full ceramic HBBs???

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
I've been waiting patiently, but so far I can't find any reviews of the new all-ceramic HBB's. Surely some people have them by now. Let's see some reviews!

I've seen them listed by various dealers, but the descriptions and prices are all over the place. Some dealers claim theirs are truly "full ceramic" (thus implying that other dealers are using some PVD parts). The prices go from $399 and up.

I really want to grab one of these full ceramic models, but I'd like some guidance before I take the plunge. Here are a few things I'd like to know:

1) Exactly what parts of the HBB case are ceramic on the gen models? The bezel is obvious, but I believe the entire top and bottom plates of the case are also ceramic, as well as the two flat pieces that cover the strap ends. My understanding is that some of the reps actually use PVD coated SS for the strap cover pieces, so that's something to watch out for.

Are any other parts of an HBB supposed to be ceramic? I believe the gen HBB's use SS for the interior part of the case (so those two "column"-looking things protruding from either side of the case will always be SS. How about the case back? Do the gens have a ceramic case back, or is it just PVD?

2) For those who bought versions with the 21,6 movement, how is the movement holding out? I've heard that these lo beat 7750 movements are being put together much better these days.

3) Do any of the full ceramic HBB's out there use the inaccurate screw down crown?

4) How is the AR on these watches? The original "Factory 1" HBB's had great AR. Have the new factories held to the same standard?

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
There is no such animal as a "full ceramic" HBB. The Bezel only is made of ceramic, and these are on the coslier versions. The 'lite' version has a pvd bezel and no AR.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
Hambone said:
There is no such animal as a "full ceramic" HBB. The Bezel only is made of ceramic, and these are on the coslier versions. The 'lite' version has a pvd bezel and no AR.

I totally disagree with this, there are versions out which have the lower and upper plate made out of ceramic. These versions come from the seconed factory and have the low beat movement. I heard it is cheap quality.
Angus told me 4 weeks ago that he is waiting for a full ceramic version which should come from fab1 soon. You may want to contact him.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
guru said:
Hambone said:

I totally disagree with this, there are versions out which have the lower and upper plate made out of ceramic. These versions come from the seconed factory and have the low beat movement. I heard it is cheap quality.
Angus told me 4 weeks ago that he is waiting for a full ceramic version which should come from fab1 soon. You may want to contact him.

Not to doubt you Guru, but for everyone interested, please post a link where a full ceramic HBB can be had.

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
There are full ceramic as described by factory. They have ceramic bezel front and back plates are ceramic coated the cheap versions have PVD covers over the band the better ones have the same finish as the test of the to and bottom plate. The glass back casing is pvd as ceramic would crack with the pressure of the screws so I am told. There are also PVD cased watches but these are completely different finish

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
Time4 - your Black Magic is one of the ceramics I've had my eye on.

So you're saying that the top and bottom plates of the case are not ceramic, but rather stainless steel coated in ceramic?

How can you distinguish coated ceramic from PVD?

Do you have other full ceramic models besides the Black Magic available as well?

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
Ceramic is a completely different finish to PVD the Pvd is brushed and the ceramic is polished and like porcelain non porous I have 3 models 1 Black magic 2 Luna rossa 3 stealth. If you look at pictures of some of the other dealers you will see that over the band is a different finish his is pvd look at mine and you will see the same finaish as the top plate this is ceramic finish

MrJones

Banned
31/7/07
This is ceramic bezel, ceramic top/bottom plate :

ss853308sn5.jpg

More pictures here http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41211

Now I have ordered LunaRossa full ceramic with correct strap, I can chose 28800 or 21600.

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
My misuderstanding. Full ceramic to me meant the entire caseback as opposed to elements of the watch being ceramic.

3d-doctor

Horology Curious
18/6/08
i've just picked up a v3 HBB Black Magic from Timesshop for $398- having never seen a HBB in real but having seen a 50$ replica which had a no function chrono (fair enough) and sloppy chrono buttons i'd been looking for a B&R stealth rep but have not found a reliable source so went the next route.........
what i have bought is pretty much in the photos but with a white on black date wheel (nice)

so in short
1) timesshop delivered within 10 days to UK although a little slower than other dealers and the tracking was not as thorough as other dealers but the packing was the best i have ever seen (bombproof)
2) ceramic finish ?? as far as i can see this has the ceramic bezel and the "plates" that hold the wristband top and bottom are ceramic coated gloss - other elements have matt finish probably pvd
3) the overall finish works - i'd held back off buying a stealthy HBB simpy because some of the black faces in photos seemed to be grey - in daylight some elements (watch hands and numerals) pick up a brown tinge but under a artifical light.............it's black and unless you meet a gen HBB i don't think you'd notice and proably neither would they
4) not sure how the AR coating accuracy works against a gen but for myself i'm not bothered

i am very pleased with this watch it has a nice tight feel to the buttons and clasp and i've already accidently banged it against a solid object and finish is fine - certenly for the next few months this will be up there regular wearing
but i'm still puzzled over the fuss about big bangs having said that i'll be looking for a iced all white version for the wife on my next round of purchases as she said it looks nice in white and builds up here collection of iced monsters

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
My wife iswaiting for the white one too, can you post some pics?

3d-doctor

Horology Curious
18/6/08
hi mr jones
if the finish is pvd then thats ok with me - looks like ceramic to my eyes as it seems to have a little thickness to the finish that you pick up on tumbled edges that are nicely rounded off

for me the black on black was what i was after so in that sense i'm quite happy :mrgreen:

i like the pointer to the white model for guru but 400$ is around my max rep limit and as she prefers quartz mech models or have me wind them up............
this is the beast i had in mind for mrs at the right price

a big bang aspen:
http://www.thewatchquote.com/The-Ice-Ag ... o_5912.htm

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
just to point out that the gen Aspen is 41 mm, not 44mm.
I wish the factories would rep that size, 44 mm is a little to big for my wife.
She tried a gen Aspen on at the AD and that fits perfectly.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
I would be keen to learn what exactly "ceramic coating" is.

PVD and DLC I know about, and I know that ceramic and metal can be engineered together to form one component, like brake discs.

However, ceramic is similar to glass isn't it? ie. sand heated to melting and then formed or cast (or whatever)

So how is this achieved by "coating" the steel? ...and like ceramic, is it relatively scratch resistant?

just curious ;)

High-tech ceramic is used in watchmaking for producing watch cases. The material is valued by watchmakers for its light weight, scratch-resistance, durability and smooth touch. IWC is one of the brands that initiated the use of ceramic in watchmaking. The case of the IWC 2007 Top Gun edition of the Pilot's Watch Double chronograph is crafted in high-tech black ceramic.[2]