• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fresh off the Lathe!

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Cool stuff, well done.

Reactions: CyborgCNC

Stretch242

Supporter
24/12/14
UK
Can you give us a brief description on how you created this from start to finish. I be interested to read that

CyborgCNC

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/18
Can you give us a brief description on how you created this from start to finish. I be interested to read that
-Not a problem..

-I start with a Pen Kit, that basically requires a couple of brass tubes, and the pen parts.
-The brass tubes, are painted black, and then I use a Genuine Carbon Fiber wrap, to wrap them. THe Carbon Fiber is glued to the tubes with CA glue.
-I now find Watch parts, which I pre-bend to the radius of the tubes, using A Jewelers Dapping Mold, in order for the parts to conform to the countour of the brass tubes. I then glue these parts on the tubes, arranging them in a manner I think will look good, and I use a small drop of CA glue to hold them into place. Old watch movements are perfect for harvesting these parts, or you can find people selling them for crafts.
-I now take these parts, and I place them in a mold, which then gets filled with Clear Epoxy Resin. To prevent Bubbles from forming while the Resin cures, I place the molds into a Pressure POT, and presurize the whole thing to 50 PSI, overnight until the Resin cures.
-Now I take the tubes out of the mold, and I turn them on a lathe, Until the desired thickness for the Pen parts to fit.
-Once they are turned down to size, I polish them to a Crystal Clear Finish.
-I then Assemble the pen, as per the Pen Kit.

Let me know if I can answer any questions around this, but that is basically the process. Time consuming for certain, but the result is well worth it...

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I'm sure many would be interested if next time you'd accompany this with pics, kind of a tutorial.
Btw you know there's this section, right?:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
very cool !

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Very cool!

It’s always nice to be able to mash up hobbies.

Stretch242

Supporter
24/12/14
UK
It's amazing how much skill and creativity and patients people have here to create such things. I'm definitely not blessed with any of them 😂. Pictures with the guide for your next build will be great I'll look forward to it.

fnfalguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Patron
Certified
22/2/24
@CyborgCNC I'm a turner as well. Please let me know if you would be interested in making a blank for me. I'm not ready to get a pressure pot setup at the time, but have plenty of watch parts to send your way for a Jr. Gent sized blank.