• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Freeze big second hand?

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
I have some very nice faux chronos. Don't give me any shiiiiiiat. Most are very nice with manual moving chrono hands. But the thing that drives me crazy is the ticking of the big second hand. Can the big second hand be frozen and not interfer with the functioning of the watch?

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
Non fuctioning chrono watches usually have the cheaper asian movement in them and the chrono hand acts a second hand when the second hand should be at the 3 or 9 oclock position. As this movment works in one standard format only, it most likely will damage or destroy the
movement if an attempt is made to stop the chrono sweep. I would say you are stuck with it and the onlyreal answer is to buy a watch with a 7750 so you can have the full chrono effect.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I've had a few of those Doc. I kinda like the second hand moving. you said tick. Is it a quartz?

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
No fakey, they are autos, not quartz. I should have said sweep, not tick. Thanks for the info too, hambone. I wish I could work a camara and I would show that these are really nice looking and attractive watches. Just wish I could fix the moving second hand. Thanks guys.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Yeah Ron, I had a few of the faux chronos for a while. I agree with fakemaster, I like the movement of the second hand, but over time I started to replace them with 7750's.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
When I look at that big hand sitting still on the 7750s I think man this is the function I will be using the least. Use the big hand for timekeeping and the put the stopwatch on the chrono. :p

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
couldnt you just take out the gear that runs the second hand or glue is in place or something? I dont know how to take movements apart without destroying them so im not gunna try it. lol

dizz

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
yes that could be done. However, as Hm said, he could damage it in the process.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
yeah you could definatly damage it. But these watches are so cheap and i know that i;ve got 2 or 3 laying around that i have taken parts off at one time or another. Maybe i"ll pop a dial off one of my faux daytonas and see if the second hand gear or something can be frozen. Anyone who can work on a movement should be able to figure it out. But yes theres always risk of wrecking something.

dizz