• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franck Muller Long Island: Gen Dial Project

exeekias

24/11/08
Hi all,

I am still waiting for the crystal for my VCO to come back from Chief, and in the meantime I took on another project. I just finished it yesterday and thought I'd write it up and see what you all thought of my results.

The project was to put a gen dial in a Franck Muller Long Island. I got the watch from watcheden for cheap ($88) and two really nice copper-colored dials off ebay. One of the dials was lumed and the other was not. The dials weren't in perfect shape, they have a few scratches here and there and I had to touch up the lume in a couple places, but overall, between the color of the dial and the brightness of the lume, the imperfections are hard to see to the naked eye. Both dials had holes for a date at 6, so I ordered an eta 2824 with a date wheel for 6 o'clock once I verified it would fit.

Here's the rep as I got it. I'm not sure if it's a fantasy model or not but all I wanted was the case and crystal. It came with an asian 21j:
bfmli0.jpg

and here are the dials I bought, with a test fit being done in my Long Island Crazy hours:
FM1.jpg

The shape of the hands weren't quite right on the rep, and I wanted lumed hands so I could use the lumed dial, so I decided to carve my own out of stainless sheet steel. I used this pic of a gen as my template:
fmli6.jpg

here's a montage of carving the hands. Basically a lot of work with jeweler's files and micro drill bits, followed by my lume job:
bfmli1.jpg

The finished shape of the hands I made is not all that close to the gen, in my opinion. The ones I made are rather thicker than the gen and the overall proportions are different, but I sort of like them this way. I might decide to make a pair closer to the gen later on, but for now I'm sticking with these.

The second thing I needed to do was make a movement holder for the 2824, since the plastic jobby supplied in the rep just wouldn't cut it. I had a guy I know cut a blank out of 1/8" thick steel plate and drill a 1" hole in the center which saved me a ton of work. From there I shaved and finished the holder until it fit in the case and held the movement tight:
bfmli2.jpg

Here's a collage showing the steps involved in making the movement holder: Grinding the outside of the blank to fit the case, grinding a lip inside the hole to hold the movement while allowing the rotor to spin, cutting out two nubs at the proper depth for the movement screws to hold, and polishing the piece up. You can also see my very crappy attempt at perlage in the last two pics. Overall it's not quite up to swiss standards, but it works.

After the movement holder was done, the rest was pretty simple. I cut down the stem so the crown would fit tight, buttoned everything up and checked for rattles. Luckily there is a lip inside the caseback that holds the steel plate pretty tight up against the case, so there isn't any rattling of the holder inside the movement.

I had to install the tallest cannon pinion/hour wheel combo possible to get the right clearance, and I also shaved off the second hand pin and capped the cannon pinion with a small bit of polished steel to match the gen.

Here are the final results of my Francken Muller. First a shot with flash to show the real brightness of the copper dial. This thing shines like a new penny:
fmli1.jpg

But in other light it looks more salmon colored, as in this shot without flash:
fmli2.jpg

The factory lume on this dial is just incredible. Here's a shot in medium light after a brief charge:
fmli3.jpg

And in dim light:
fmli4.jpg

The last shot is in near total dark, this thing really is a torch:
fmli5.jpg

So that's it for the project, hope you all like it. I ordered a dark brown antique gator strap from HKtan that I think will match up nicely with this one. The real neat part of the Long Island is that it has 24mm lugs, so I can switch straps around with my 111 :) Also the copper dial is pretty unusual. I'll probably keep on the lookout for a gen strap for this one, and as I said before I might end up redoing the hands altogether to get them as close to the gen as I can. Maybe I'll even try with some white gold sheet metal if I'm feeling daring.

edit: I forgot to add the total cost of the project:

rep watch: $88
2 dials: $35
eta mov't: $140
Total: $263

MEYER8888

Renowned Member
19/9/07
that a nice project, perfect dressy watch, congrats and thanks to share it

exeekias

24/11/08
Thanks Meyer!

It's sunny out today so I took an outdoor wrist shot:
fmli7.jpg

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Great work there! I have to admit, i'm impressed by your dedication to this project! For most people that amount of work is a non-starter for sure!

Keep it going! Mod another watch! :)

exeekias

24/11/08
Thanks for the comments; I guess there's not a huge amount of interest in FM reps compared to some others, but I like them anyway :)

I ordered some white gold sheet metal and I am going to try to make a new set of hands out of it. I'll post the results if anyone is interested :p

kylus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/9/07
awesome work! i'd be interested in buying a few pairs of hands off you. :mrgreen:

kitersoze

26/11/08
wow, that is seriously impressive to me, especially you being able to make your own hands.

personally, i love fm long islands, especially the chrono versions. but i've never owned one; it would see very little wrist time in my normal attire.

congrats to you and keep on moddin'

exeekias

24/11/08
kylus said:
awesome work! i'd be interested in buying a few pairs of hands off you. :mrgreen:

ugh! I just got the white gold plate in the mail and now I'm dreading even making one more pair. :D
I need to find a quicker method.

kylus

10/9/07
some 150/90/26 hands look good on ofrei, though they're different from the original.

any way to get oem hand parts?

kylus

10/9/07
thanks mate.

these are just minor mods compared to your franckens. haha.

Nickyd

Known Member
23/5/09
WOW! Very impressive.The dials you found on Ebay were a steal..the lume alone was worth it.Congrats and yes keep posting your mods.