• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First relume - problems...

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Howdy peeps :)

I bought a 177h, and decided that it would be the candidate for my first relume attempt. I figured that a sandwich dial would be easier than trying with my UPO. I also have a spare set of UPO hands that I would try.

I phoned Ofrei, and tried to order some C3. The person on the phone had no idea what I was talking about other than "green luminous powder", so I said what the heck I'll try it plus a bottle of orange refill. I also ordered the 3 bottle Nitro Lume deal from Flav.

I already had a few bottles of pre-mixed pigments from Ready-Set-Glow that I know are strontium aluminate so i figured I would do a quick and dirty little test card. Turns out Ofrei sent me C7 - Grrr.

The C7 (green) from AF Luminova is at the top left of the card. It's way too green under normal light. Next is the orange. All the rest on the top row are R-S-Glow.

The bottom row consists of the 3 colours of Nitro Lume. (the happy face is the green Nitro Lume)

DSC_1656.jpg

DSC_1659.jpg

So as it turns out, My UPO and my Seiko Arctura last almost as long as both the Nitro Lume and the AF Luminova - About 6-7 hours readable in low light (not pitch black). I did not test longer because it was time to get up and get the kids breakfast hehe.

Ok back to the PAM.

I laid out the materials, stripped the lume off all the hands with nail polish remover, and cooked up a batch of a mix of green and blue Nitro with clear nail polish.

DSC_1654.jpg

DSC_1655.jpg

DSC_1661.jpg

During the process of stripping the lume off the PAM hands, I chipped the black paint. *^$*&%^$##@!!!!

Off to the hobby store to pick up some flat black paint. Picked up some titanium white as well for the dial.

DSC_1663.jpg

DSC_1670.jpg

Ok painting and filling hands... Thought I would mix up some some orange and add some clear red to get a glowing tip to the UPO second hand :)

DSC_1667.jpg

DSC_1665.jpg

some UPO samples...

DSC_1675.jpg

DSC_1674.jpg

some time later, hard to see but the Nitro Lume is lasting slightly longer....

DSC_1677.jpg

Ok so I didn't like the colour for the PAM and I decided to mix up straight blue.

DSC_1681.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

Ok now here is the problem.

I can't seem to get the hour hand to fit back on the stem (and I messed up the black hand paint). It seems loose. Did I lose a part or something? The minute and second hands go on fine.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Are you fitting the hour hand on first? If not,, it needs to be.
What are you using to set the hour hand back onto the cp?

edit: moved to "Watch Modification forum"

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Yeah I'm putting the hour hand on first, with bamboo tweezers. I push it down till it's flush with the dial, and it will still fall off.

Thanks.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Sounds to me like you pushed it down too far and it stretched the post holes on the hand. It is shot..

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
I lost a gear didn't I...

*!@$%%!!!!

DSC_1687.jpg

and the back just for reference.

DSC_1691.jpg

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
yep,, you sure did..

It slides over top of the canon pinion, it's called the "Hour Wheel"

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Yup, problem solved.

Someone is sending me one :)

Won't make that mistake again lol.

merlin699

18/8/07
you're on the right way. practice makes perfect :wink:
I like the blue color on your pam :mrgreen:

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
My hat is off to you for the attempt. I haven't the guts.
The lume looks great on both watches, by the way. Keep up the good work! :)