• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First order with Asian7750 - Speedmaster DSOTM

Simonr_74

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/21
After recently trying on a gen Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 at a local AD and realising that I wasn't going to be in a position to part with the £8,000 necessary to own this piece anytime soon I decided to see what reps were available.

Reps of the Apollo 8 don't seem to exist (probably due to its heavily skeletonised dial) but by this time I'd fallen headlong down the rabbit hole, so I decided to go for a rep of the Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon.

jaeDMY.jpg

After much reading/research on this forum I learned that the subdial spacing, case thickness and date window are common flaws on the Speedmaster reps in comparison to the gens, but I decided I was willing to accept these minor issues as I love the overall look of the watch. Further research led me to Asian7750, Puretime and Trustytime's sites amongst others and after sending some emails to check availability/stock, and I took the plunge and ordered the OXF version from Tony at Asian7750.

I placed the order on 16 Sept and paid by Western Union same day. Tony confirmed on 17 Sept that the funds have been received and I'm now patiently waiting for QC pics.

Will continue to update this thread to let you know how it all goes.

Last edited:

Simonr_74

6/9/21
I'm also looking at this watch, so I'm interested in seeing how your QC photos look.
Hopefully the QC pics will come through in the next couple of days. Trying to be patient but it's like waiting for Christmas!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Simonr_74

6/9/21
So an email arrived from Tony today with a link to a QC video.

After excitedly clicking on the link I was disappointed to see that the video lasts for 2 seconds, it only shows the dial and the watch is moved very quickly away from the camera so it's really impossible to do any sort of QC whatsoever with this. It's left my slightly perplexed to say the least.

Have asked Tony for pictures and/or a longer video, so hoping I get some proper images that I can use to appraise the watch.

Simonr_74

6/9/21
I received QC pictures today almost immediately after sending Tony an email chasing them.

There were several obvious flaws - what appears to be a scratch or mark on the side of the bezel, a mark or chip on the rotor, poor ink-filling on the engraved text on the case back and a print smudge on some text on the movement. This led to me wonder whether I was being tested by the TD with the video I received yesterday to see whether I would accept that as QC and give approval for them to ship a watch that might previously have been rejected, but maybe I'm just being cynical.

In fairness to Tony, he hasn't argued with the concerns I've raised. What I thought was a scratch on the bezel he says is just dust, and he says he's going to check with the factory whether the issues with the print/engraving are consistent on all of these models or if it can be swapped for a better one.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a happy outcome.

jaQrOY.jpg
jaQtkD.jpg

jaQBJk.jpg

jaQplJ.jpg
jaQCFP.jpg
jaQlao.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwiguy