• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First live pics and initial thoughts - the new Bell & Ross BR 03-92 reps

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The B&R bug never hit me because of sucky lume . I know, it's a petty thing. My favorite one was the Swiss quartz one that was like 550.00. Which in hindsight I was stupid for not buying it. If they improve the lume, I might be game.

Great review by the way, keep em coming! ;)

vinhepin

Horology Curious
30/9/13
Initial thoughts: an excellent first run and accurate enough for all but the most discerning B&R aficionados. Hopefully V2 will get us all the way there.

Pros
  • Built quality is great
  • Thickness is correct, unlike the old version which was based off the 03-94 chrono case
  • PVD finish is spot on
  • Color of the military dial seems correct (although I've never seen it in person)
  • Rubber strap is very close to gen, the (&) logo is slightly funky
  • Engraving text and serial numbers are spot on. The engraving depth might be a tiny bit less than gen.

Tells

• As we've all discussed the top case is copied from the ceramic, so the bezel is pretty noticeably too big
  • As a result of the incorrect bezel, the dial is made smaller causing the hands copied from the gen PVD version too long as they
  • Watch supposedly has double AR, and it is slightly blue at certain angles. Gen is single inside colorless AR
  • On the "Carbon Orange" the dial has a matte finish, which is the way the ceramic dials are being produced, the gen PVD watches have a different finish that is a bit deeper black and less reflective of light. It's less noticeable on the green dial of the military type
  • Lume is OK on the dial and very bad on the hands.
  • Lume is green on the dial and hands, which is incorrect for all square B&Rs (except the phantom and commando which should be a deep, dark green. All others should be teal blue on the dial and hands.
  • Dial numerals have less of a painted feel than the gen does, I think there's just less lume applied so it doesn't have the 3D effect that the gen does (nitpicking on this one)
  • The shape of the buckle is slightly off, which is strange because I believe it was spot on last time. PVD seems a bit shiny on the buckle.
  • Date seem to be slightly off from the bottom of the numbers being flat. Slightly skewed to the right on both watches.

9AF5115C-8C1C-4AAE-8FFE-CCE63D86B4EC_zpstbtyiwvc.jpg

Pics of the rep and my gen to show the blue AR around the crystal of the rep and the noticeably larger bezel:
DB94633B-1F49-4AFC-8A2D-F65886C1807E_zpsovdd4oed.jpg
242AF445-4561-43F8-A00A-8BFEC9089E9A_zpsg5xqdgyv.jpg

Crown is decent but just seems a bit off
9AEF4664-BEE3-4F23-AE21-A0165D1EEDA3_zps1eytqejg.jpg

Engraving is spot on
E4DBF2A8-F77F-4491-865F-7B5DB2F5E53F_zpsmxk9zvc0.jpg

Funky shaped (&) on the back of the rubber strap
2778CAE7-4B6D-4C30-81BC-B540C33E1A71_zpsxh4tv9x5.jpg

Update with a lume pic (iPhone exposure makes it look much better than it really is). As you can see, the minute hand lume has much less glow.

6E68CE83-7606-49ED-8875-C3DA2D1CDCCA_zps5jlk8wkl.jpg

Cheers,
Scottie

Great comparison. Possible to have a comparison of the GEN vs Rep lume?

jaja83

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/10/15
Thx pal for the great pics ... I've been contemplating purchasing a B&R but can't make up my mind

Pavo

22/3/14
UK
Great review and photos of this model. It's good to see it coming and hopefully more models to come. This brand is growing on me. How does this watch sit on the wrist being square?

I have a fairly small wrist at 6.75 and don't know how well it will sit?

Does it wear bigger then 44mm pams or ap's?

Thanks for your advice.

Tatze

Horology Curious
3/8/14
Germany
Thank you for that awesome review. These watches are really growing on me, especially the carbon orange.

My gen has applied metal markers, so there is only lume on the hands. I'll try to get a shot tonight.

That would be appreciated. The larger bezel is putting me off a little, but I might be able to live with that. A relume seems to be mandatory though, so a comparison shot would be helpful.

Bartsimpson01

25/12/14
France
Just received mine today from PC (Orange one). Bracelet, PVD, AR coating, screws... those are really Gen Like !

Pavo

22/3/14
UK
How do they wear on the wrist? Anyone? Are they comparable to 44mm pams and ap's?

Thanks

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
^^
My next rep but without orange details. :) Great pic, thanks for sharing.

Pavo

22/3/14
UK
Great looking watch I'm torn between this one and the green dial military version. I know the military version has a tell with the black DW.

how does it wear on the wrist? Is it comparable to Pam 44mm's and ap's?

scottie83

21/10/11
I know the military version has a tell with the black DW.

These are technically a copy of the PVD version of the military type, so the black date wheel is actually correct. The newer ceramic military type has the green date wheel.

I only need one of these so if anyone is interested I'll be posting my 03-92 Carbon Orange for sale. PM me if you want it before I list.

Pavo

22/3/14
UK
These are technically a copy of the PVD version of the military type, so the black date wheel is actually correct. The newer ceramic military type has the green date wheel.

I only need one of these so if anyone is interested I'll be posting my 03-92 Carbon Orange for sale. PM me if you want it before I list.

How do these wear? Being a square watch. Do they wear similar to Pam 44mm and ap's 44mm? I know there fairly think also.

thanks

WolFF

2/9/13
the br03 series wears smaller than a 44mm pam i have pam 44 lum, pam45 rad and br03-92 the B&R is a little bit smaller than both pams and also wears very very flat compared to the pams. but i would say its closer to rad45 than lum44. the strap design on the B&R makes it wear totally diff than the pams. more of a "cuff" like design. i gave up on a rep of these B&R and bought a gen. and from looking at these new B&R BR03 they are horrible, sorry but thats my opinion.
and i dont understand why, the br03 is such a simple design compared to how well they can get a pam 111.

side note the lume on these reps. is not that bad. my gen B&R lume sucks. my rep pam 111,292 lume BLOWS my gen B&R lume away.

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Great looking watch I'm torn between this one and the green dial military version. I know the military version has a tell with the black DW.

how does it wear on the wrist? Is it comparable to Pam 44mm's and ap's?

the gen has a black date wheel like the rep. I think you are referring to the other military type BR issued that has a green date wheel

Pao21

Known Member
8/10/12
Wow! Finally! A decent rep of the gen that made me looking for reps. At a good price too! Any news if there will be a SS version?

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Wow! Finally! A decent rep of the gen that made me looking for reps. At a good price too! Any news if there will be a SS version?

Work hard everyday.. Get a good sleep every night.. You will soon realize the s/s version is already out there ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk