• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Finally got my hands on the dong! (Review GMT Master 2 CF, DD3285)

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hey guys, finally I feel like doing a review about a watch again.
Admittedly, I won't do any gen comparisons, since I've had several GMT Master 2 hands on, but the last time was too long ago to be able to judge in detail things like CGs or so.

First of all, I want to thank the TD @CTime who sent me great QC pictures and videos within 12 hours. After my GL he then shipped the watch and gave me the tracking number after a few days.

Unfortunately, the watch was not trackable even after 5 days, so I sent a message:) CTime said soon, I should be patient. After another 5 not trackable days I found the watch then in my mailbox - 10 days to Switzerland. What more could you want;)

I know the quality of CLEAN watches well - in my opinion top tier parts with sometimes problems putting them together. They had even more issues with local workers QC (hair, plastic, pressed hyrtel rings, not correctly mounted xtals and so on...) but that has improved massively in the last 1-2 years. I have had Submariners and Daytonas and still have some of them, and can compare well with VRF, GMF, VSF and ARF. (Now not related to the specific model, but in basic quality requirements).

As @trailboss99 has already reported, this watch is really crazy in terms of quality for the money we pay and I will divide the criteria of my evaluation into + and - points.

First the positive:

+ CLEAN foils best the watches and really forgets no part - so the watch comes absolutely without scratches or so
+ The movement is ultra fine to wind - in Switzerland we call it "Butterzart" (@Stuzzy hahaha) and the GMT hand doesn't stutter, really impressive. Moreover, it runs accurately (+5s on the time scale with 0.0ms beat error, 248 AMP (which is absolutely ok for Dial Up on a 3235))
+ Speedbumps are only visible with makro 16k zoom picture;)
+ Date print absolutely on point, centered
+ The most superb painted hands I have seen so far on such watches, the drawing of the GMT hands is more beautiful/accurate than on GEN
+ I know some will find the CLEAN glass "not good enough", especially the cyclopse which seems foggy - but for me it is absolutely enough

Negative:

- The bracelet has a little noise, it needed to be oiled
- the bezel click was CLEAN-like-wobbly, and had backplay. Since I did not have a GEN Bezel Spring at hand, I have already used a dental floss to cleane away the grease and achieved a more gmt-like-clicking, which is more genlike. The backplay is unfortunately still present, but 1mm or so, so i will live with it.
- The rotor rattled loudly, not "normal" for a 3235/3285. It turned out that the screw was defective and the rotor had vertical play. Probably a transport damage - annoying, but just happens. The TD immediatly took action and ordered the part which I need for repairing and sends it to me for no additional money. What more can I say. Shoutouts again to @CTime !

Conclusion:

Absolute purchase recommendation, if you have tooth side, baby oil, and an awareness of it lying around at home, that you save a lot of money instead of buying a real one. Very much money. Nourish your family for 1 year from it - but do not grumble about trifles. Good Job Clean Factory.

Here are some pictures of the watch, but first a Video:

Mancster

Renowned Member
Certified
27/8/17
Do these new GMT's still suffer from the milky gasket as with most clean watches? I've seen some photos of some watches where it seems like a better gasket and then some photos where the gasket seems milky around the crystal

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Do these new GMT's still suffer from the milky gasket as with most clean watches? I've seen some photos of some watches where it seems like a better gasket and then some photos where the gasket seems milky around the crystal
I really dont know. Could be, but i would not care since I am not in "careing about this small detail".
You could see on the first picture if it has milky gasket or not, no?:) I dont see that:D

Hugg727

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
Nice review. I also just got this watch a few weeks ago. I made the decision to put a Deep crystal on it after I had such a good outcome with the Deep crystal on my Sub. Not that the CF xtal was bad , I just think the Deep has a little more pop/clarity and a slightly better cyclops experience.

The only neg for me has been the bezel play. It had the usual abundance of white grease under there. I cleaned it up and even replaced the bezel spring with one that other members recommended from Aliiexpress. I dont see much of an improvement....perhaps I am using the wrong silicone grease. Would be curious to here what others are using???

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Well Done Thank You GIF by Spotify

Thanks for this great review!

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Sorry, my english is not perfect. I mesnt you better buy food for your family a whole year than going gen on this one.
I understood completely.
"Buy food for 1 year."
"Feed your family for 1 year."
"Nourish your family for 1 year."
It's all the same = all funny. But "nourish" makes it much better. More meaning. Much more important. Excellent! 💪💙🙏

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great post bro. Sad but not surprised about the bezel, wtf. I have ARF, Noob, GMF, BP, VRF GMTs that have bezels nearly as good as gen. This BP has been off center for 3 years. It's so solid with zero play I usually can't even move it to center long enough to grab a pic. It snaps back to its scallop recess, haha. And they got NO GREASE! I'll get around to fixing it one day.

15869626622450.jpg

Appreciate your pics and comments, super rep for sure.

Last edited:

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Great post bro. Sad but not surprised about the bezel, wtf. I have ARF, Noob, GMF, BP, VRF GMTs that have bezels nearly as good as gen. This BP has been off center for 3 years. It's so solid with zero play I usually can't even move it to center long enough to grab a pic. It snaps back to its scallop recess, haha. And they got NO GREASE! I'll get around to fixing it one day.

15869626622450.jpg

Appreciate your pics and comments, super rep for sure.its an essy fix with gen click spring, but i lost motivation and dont have time for modding and working on watches these days due private situation. Will wear it OOTB.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

rockdaytona

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Nice review. I also just got this watch a few weeks ago. I made the decision to put a Deep crystal on it after I had such a good outcome with the Deep crystal on my Sub. Not that the CF xtal was bad , I just think the Deep has a little more pop/clarity and a slightly better cyclops experience.

The only neg for me has been the bezel play. It had the usual abundance of white grease under there. I cleaned it up and even replaced the bezel spring with one that other members recommended from Aliiexpress. I dont see much of an improvement....perhaps I am using the wrong silicone grease. Would be curious to here what others are using???
Can you link the bezel spring from Ali for me? I missed it. Thanks bro