• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FC case work aka The Official 'What does NA stand for' thread

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And
Don’t worry A, I have not touch the edges and chamfers of the case, 5000 grit very light sanding won’t do any damage but only make the laquer appears mat to the eye. Also those ‘fine edges’ are much softer on FC than on SS

a8568933250be3e6c68d4d6d4eda35cd.jpg

ZPzMgW.jpg

I normally don't quote messages with pics but I am doing so in this case because I want to show that while the gen FC edges are indeed naturally softer than their metal counterparts, the edges and corners are never rounded, and each edge, chamfer, line and corner is well defined and the case looks angular. Like I mentioned, I do own the gen so I know how it should look. I don't mind getting educated on models I don't own or facts I don't know but when it comes to AP, I think that my knowledge is adequate. So try to bear in mind next time that some of us do know the facts. :hehehe:

Your work with the 5000 grit is decent where the re-surfacing goes, but the case is rounded, whether you sanded them down, or purchased it that way. It does not take much to alter the shape of an FC case, just be careful with the next one to avoid making it look like it has been aged 20 years prematurely.

Reactions: Allure

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Thank you for the gen picture A. The edges are definitely much more defined vs the rep.

I have two FC reps (one you know as it has been on your workbench) and both are the same - the edges are not as defined as your picture/watch. Would be interesting if other members can post pictures of their rep FC cases to see how they look

This below is from Puretime and as you can see the edges are quite soft and rounded

b3fe6d51bcbb38307789e64b8eaf619f.jpg

Anyway those are just cheap watches and it is interesting to fiddle and experiment with them. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, always appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Just another pic of my FC as the light in the other picture I posted earlier was really bad and it seems there are no chamfer and the watch is totally round. This is obviously not the case and it is sometimes difficult to take a decent picture of mat carbon

ac0d696109310be01993e804c9b0d222.jpg

You can also notice the chamfer on the gen (Legend’s picture above) are more pronounced and slightly larger which makes the design more defined and beautiful

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hey T, I think it could be a matter of the factory. I recall your XF diver having rather defined lines, will you kindly care to confirm that?
I am planning on another project involving FC cases based partially on your grit refinish so your input will definitely help! Thank you sir.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It does look better than the JF FC case for me, maybe its the angle or lighting.
But here's the kicker: Most gen FC cases (discontinued late 2012/early 2013) have softened edges and chamfers, but still well-defined even for the worst of the lot. The really bad ones usually have uneven wear/marring/chipping on one side/corner as opposed to being evenly weathered all round.
What is your take of the XF FC case vs the JF one, if you may?

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
By having a closer look at those FC chamfers, the big difference is they are not ´flat’ and at an angle with the border on the rep. If you look very closely, the chamfer itself (not the edge) is slight rounded - but it is totally flat on your watch A. I reckon it might be due to the mould the factory uses.

I wonder if there is enough lacker on the carbon to experiment with chamfering (which I know is a quite a difficult technique)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
By having a closer look at those FC chamfers, the big difference is they are not ´flat’ and at an angle with the border on the rep. If you look very closely, the chamfer itself (not the edge) is slight rounded - but it is totally flat on your watch A. I reckon it might be due to the mould the factory uses.

I wonder if there is enough lacker on the carbon to experiment with chamfering (which I know is a quite a difficult technique)

you read my mind on my intention, oh drats. :hehehe:

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
you read my mind on my intention, oh drats. :hehehe:

Ahahah

To answer your previous question I think the FC cases are made by the same provider. Chamfers look the same on both watches. Also the small chopped carbon fibres
e2ddc2e067a31855c6d517d29690de1c.jpg

used for the pattern are pretty much the same size. They look like twins in those pictures
b2f6ae4b22f04f75b3bf766b6ede4632.jpg

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Ahahah

To answer your previous question I think the FC cases are made by the same provider. Chamfers look the same on both watches. Also the small chopped carbon fibres
e2ddc2e067a31855c6d517d29690de1c.jpg

used for the pattern are pretty much the same size. They look like twins in those pictures
b2f6ae4b22f04f75b3bf766b6ede4632.jpg

God those screws look horrible.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Ahahah

Thank you for the pics.
I am thinking to make the rep FC case edges and bevels more defined and sharper.
Lets face it: Its something which will not make any meaningful difference in real life, especially on a mostly black case, but lets just say this is purely for self-gratification, to see how far the FC case can be pushed toward "gen spec".

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Thank you for the pics.
I am thinking to make the rep FC case edges and bevels more defined and sharper.
Lets face it: Its something which will not make any meaningful difference in real life, especially on a mostly black case, but lets just say this is purely for self-gratification, to see how far the FC case can be pushed toward "gen spec".

Really interested too. If you could share which tool you are planning to use, could be helpful

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Really interested too. If you could share which tool you are planning to use, could be helpful

Ok because you helped in this one, I will definitely do so once it’s a success sir.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Ok because you helped in this one, I will definitely do so once it’s a success sir.