• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

F1- 2011 Its back!

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Anyone watch Malaysia?

I passed out an hour before it started and on top of that my battery died! :(
Was @ my girls house with no charger....I was looking forward to seeing how well the new F1 Android app worked :(

Anyways, seems Vettel has no contenders at the moment.... Hammy got robbed in Quali by .10secs?(i think, somewhere aorund there...)

Otherwise a smooth drive for Vettel. JB looked good and so did Heidfield!

I don't know how I feel about the new kids on the block yet...

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I did...just finished it actually. I must say I'm completely impressed with Lotus/Renault so far...running strong enough to hang with RB and Mclaren. Hamilton pretty much threw his podium away after he got passed. I have no idea why Vettel is so damn fast compared to the rest of the field, especially without KERS. It was also good to see DRS play a bigger part in the race with the big front straight. Highlight of the race was Petrov though, deciding to eschew the rest of the race for an early flight home:

vitaly_petrov_malaysian_grand_prix_jump.jpg

Renowned Member
30/3/09
The F1 circus continued at Shanghai, China this weekend and what a race it was.
The new tyre rules combined with KERS are making F1 racing very tactical and returning us to the halcion days of yesteryear when races were won not just because of superior engineering, but rather driver ability.

Whilst the major teams are still at the front of the pack, one can never be sure of who will win on race day.

Who would have predicted that Vettel who blew the rest of the field away during qualifying would surrender his lead to Hamilton in the last few laps- all due to his 2 stop stratergy. That Webber would come from 17th and finish 3rd because he used a 3 stop stratergy and once again issues with his KERS. Hamilton himself was lucky to start from the grid after technical difficulties saw him nearly miss the pit lane "open" window. He turned up on the grid with rear cowling missing and his mechanics scrambled to get it fitted before the start of the race.

The racing this year is exciting and if you stopped watching F1 a few years ago because it was all to predictable then now is the time to get back into it.

The bizzare incident of the race was Jensen Button pulling into the wrong pit thus loosing vital seconds, surrendering his lead in the race and eventually finishing fourth.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Webber has cemented himself as an awesome driver in my book...from 18th to 3rd? Amazing. Good to see Hamilton back on top...I'm not as big a Vettel fan as i am Hamilton. Also it was good to see DRS playing a bigger part than even last week down the back straight...as soon as the flap opened up the cars jumped almost 10mph. Worked perfectly too, just enough of a boost to make the pass possible, but not certain.

I think that Pirelli deserves great credit for coming up with compounds that have introduced a new level of strategy, passing, and driver skill that F1 has been lacking for years.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
What an amazing race!!!! Fricking webber was stunning, top 5 drivers within 10 seconds of each other in finishing, excitement all the way from start to finish. It felt like the last race of the season where 3-4 drivers could win. Man, I hope the rest of the season is as good as this!

Paul Di Resta (fellow Scot) has been driving amazingly as well, i expect really big things from him.

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
i hope&pray they dont go "green".. just read in ytd's papers that if they do, it'll be 1.6L engines they use in "green" cars.. if they do, no more shrilling of e engines, speed&action..

NOOOOOOOO!

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
i hope&pray they dont go "green".. just read in ytd's papers that if they do, it'll be 1.6L engines they use in "green" cars.. if they do, no more shrilling of e engines, speed&action..

NOOOOOOOO!

Not necessarily. 90's F1 - 1.5L engines, turbos, 58-60psi boost, 1000+ hp.

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
i'll look for e link&post it up.. u'll see y there wont be much fun left in F1 :(

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Oh, no. I hope it doesn't degenerate back into the high-speed parade it's been the past few years. I at least hope that the teams will find a way to make it competitive and exciting to watch again if it does happen.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Here's an interesting video overlap of F1 vs GT cars.
It really shows how fast modern F1 is to newbish eyes...it's really hard to tell how fast they are if you're just watching F1 because everyone's going just about the same speed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5dhhpSHCw[/ame]

btw, I still have not managed to watch a single race this year...I'm ready to kick myself in the nuts for this :( My work has robbed me of this weekend too! ugh...at least I won't be missing Pacquiao :D

^^^ Btw, my favorite track and IMO most beautiful/scenic throughout the F1 calendar. I especially like the HUGE elevation changes.....I'm trying to find that one F1 video where there was a helicopter shot capturing a very good essence of the track itself....probably one of the '08 or '09 compilation videos from formula1.com

Visiting Spa Franchorchamps is on my bucket list :D

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Oh man, you haven't watched any of them? Last race was simply amazing. Edge of the seat racing with the same sort of 'who will win' feeling as last year final race and the final race of the season hamilton won. The DRS and KER's along with the new tires really make for an exciting race with lots of opportunities for moving up the field. Hell, webber went from 18th to 3rd! A simply stunning race. Lets hope this weekend will be just as good.

PANERA

I'm Pretty Popular
27/11/06
This weekend They are here in Istanbul Turkey.....It will be rainy...I hope everything will be good

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Yeah haven't :( Gotta d/l the first few and catch up with you guys!

I did catch the last 8 laps of Turkey....nothing game changing though...

I did see Vettel just BLOW past Sutil and whoever's BMW it was as their were fighting for position... How f-ing fast are these RB's ?? That definitely is not all aero like most people claim it to be. Newey is great but they've got something else up their sleeve.

Kinda like BrawnGP at the beginning of their season, astronomically dominant.

Let's hope the other teams catch up otherwise it'll be a one-sided race throughout the season. Takes the excitement out :( And yes I'm a quasi-Vettel fan! I rooted for him when he was still in Toro Rosso trying to shine.

side note: Ferrari = donkeys
The only reason Alonso got on the podium is because of his skills. Ferrari is lacking everywhere else. Luca's gonna get fired if they don't do something drastic soon. Team's gone to shite. They're basically just a notch bit faster than MercedesGP

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Upgrades to the teams are coming, but I'd definitely be in favor of a more level playing field as far as the cars are concerned. IMO Vettel's pole positions and wins are due completely to the car, and IMO there are any number of drivers in the field that are more talented. case in point: Kobayashi working his way from 18th to 8th? Just like Webber did last race. Put Vettel in Kobayashi's car and there's no way he could do that. The new young generation has it easy with all the tech the cars have...they'd never make it in the old days with lever-shifted manual boxes whens guys like Prost, Mansell, and of course Senna ruled.

This season is stupendously exciting though. I LOVE all the passing that goes on, and all the aggressiveness that passing has sparked in the drivers. Turkey was a fantastic race, but all the excitement was in the middle of the field.

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Robb I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with you. Vettel is a very very talented young man and is way superior to Kobayashi skill-wise. I remember Vettel being called the new Schumacher about 4 years ago while he was still driving for Torro Rosso.

It is true that the RB's are fast and it's all about the car but comparing Vettel to Kobayashi is just plain wrong. And I'm not even a Vettel fan

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
OK I'll give you that. I was just annoyed as I had just finished watching the race and was in an anti-Vettel frame of mind. I guess he just hasn't really been tested (this year) with a rival in a similarly fast car that isn't Webber.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
anyone know where I can d/l the races?
preferrably the BBC feeds...the Speed channel ones are ghey with a bunch of donkeys for commentaries

ochaves

30/9/09
With any torrent client (uTorrent or similar) you find the sources in demonoid.me or thepiratebay.org. BBC broadcast is amazing.

You have all the practices, clasification and of course, the race.

Regards

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I must say I'm still not impressed with Vettel. Their strategy was brilliant, and he did a great job staying ahead of Hammy at the end (and I think them getting KERS "back online" at such a convenient time was a brilliant piece of disinformation), but if the McLaren boys got him out a bit sooner I'm not sure Vettel could have gotten by him either.