• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

explanation of Black Hole effect

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
Some pics to illustrate the difference of gen vs rep cyclops away of the black sub dual.. I believe the black hole effect interpreters to the actual ease of seeing the date, it is obvious that if the dial isn't black there is no black effect.

Pics are of my wife's gen DJ 36mm and my Noob YM Rolesium rep

f6905070a9379a8ce294384e2f147183.jpg

dc02ee3a24dc39ca329f30d8f5e469b4.jpg

You may easily observe that there is no reflection on the gen and you can easily look the date window from any angle. Of course you will be able to see the date from through a rep crystal but genuine looks clean and amazingly neat [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: EuroTime25

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Actually can this effect added when you put some 2xAR on the cyclops?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
This thread has made me want to get a gen crystal now for my subc. Once seen you cannot unsee it. UGH!! They are kind of like unicorns. I've been searching and no dice do far, although I did find a milgauss crystal that was tempting, but no milgauss to install it in. Very frustrating indeed.

Reactions: Vi-Lo

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
This thread has made me want to get a gen crystal now for my subc. Once seen you cannot unsee it. UGH!! They are kind of like unicorns. I've been searching and no dice do far, although I did find a milgauss crystal that was tempting, but no milgauss to install it in. Very frustrating indeed.

what was the price for that milly crystal?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
what the hell is with the pictures of the 9 hundy one? looks like a freaking x-ray?

I was guessing they used a really low resolution camera, probably to disguise a flaw or misrepresentation. The cheaper one I was unsure as the edge looked too dark, but I'm by no means a milgauss expert.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
i think that is just leftover goo from the crystal gasket that can probably be cleaned off.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Well since this thread inspired me to do the mods, I thought I'd post my pics and end results for all to see. I've got a BK v5 that was my starting point. I obtained a gen crystal and gen insert. I got my watch back last week from installation and waterproofing. here are some pics:

before:

and now:

and a comparison for the noob insert with BK paint mod vs gen:

and a comparison of rev vs gen lume:

watchsteve

Renowned Member
15/5/16
Yes seeing a couple of gens and a rep side by side will clear out any doubt.. But if I was one of them seeing no difference I would be happy to stay like that, I mean the more you know in here the more you spent eventually lololol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Ha ha, wisest words

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
As I said multiple times before, the real reason why all replica and aftermarket crystals have no black hole effect, is because they don't apply the coating on the underside of the crystal. They either have no coating at all, or they only coat the cyclops.
R coats their cyclops on top of it and the crystal on the underside in the shape of the cyclops.
I don't know why, but noob doesn't give a sh*t about this.

My understanding is that Rolex do not coat the outer surface of the cyclops with AR. They coat the underside of the cyclops and I think a same footprint area on the underside of the crystal. the whole reason Rolex do not use AR on their crystals is that AR on the outer side of a Crystal is non permanent it will scratch in time and look dreadful, a bit like gold plate. It is contrary to Rolex's mission to use AR on an outer surface.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
My understanding is that Rolex do not coat the outer surface of the cyclops with AR. They coat the underside of the cyclops and I think a same footprint area on the underside of the crystal. the whole reason Rolex do not use AR on their crystals is that AR on the outer side of a Crystal is non permanent it will scratch in time and look dreadful, a bit like gold plate. It is contrary to Rolex's mission to use AR on an outer surface.

I've never understood why they can't AR the whole underside of the crystal. It does make a difference in clarity, i have a gen Omega and a franken both with single AR and it's subtle but fantastic to look at in the right light

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
I've never understood why they can't AR the whole underside of the crystal. It does make a difference in clarity, i have a gen Omega and a franken both with single AR and it's subtle but fantastic to look at in the right light
I think what they are aiming for is the sharp contrast between the no AR of the crystal and the AR of the cyclops

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
I think what they are aiming for is the sharp contrast between the no AR of the crystal and the AR of the cyclops

I can understand that but its disappointing they chose to sacrifice readability of the dial for the sake of aesthetics. I guess that's the way things are nowadays...

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
I can understand that but its disappointing they chose to sacrifice readability of the dial for the sake of aesthetics. I guess that's the way things are nowadays...

Yes but you know what they say "If you want to know the time , ask a policemen" These are watches , it is way above seeing the time.

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
I believe the like this semi-vintage look, plus having he contrast of glass/cyclops nonAr/AR... I don't feel I have difficulty to read the time on a Rollie, Omega indeed looks amazing it's like there is no crystal.. especially with the ceramic dials they look amazingly nice

be717e09290ce83e9f4a0d51f6de25e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro