• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ever wrecked or blown up a Vehicle?

CobraComander

8/5/10
Great intake! I did a lot of research before chosing the intake, heads and cam to work with the supercharger. It sounded nasty with the scream of the Vortech and X-303 cam. I could not order food at a drive thru with the car running!

Cobra, I see a Holley SysteMax intake on your car. I was involved in the R&D on that. :)

I found a pic of one of my more 'minor' brushes with the wall. More of a flirtation with the wall, perhaps. ;)

image004.jpg

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Many years ago I wanted to by a Ferrari in the wost way and had the money to do it. I found a web site called wrecked exotics, copied many photos from it into a folder and made that folder my rotating screen saver. After about three months of looking at those terrible crashes of Ferrari's at speed, I decided not to get that Ferrari because if I did I would test its limits and kill myself! Crash photos can serve a good purpose.

VB_Spike

Renowned Member
23/7/09
Sry no pics but here's a descriptive.

I was working the rigs in the northern oil sands of Alberta,Canada.

I pulled a triple shift 36 hrs straight. Told my employer I couldnt drive and he told me there wasnt anyone else to drive a crew truck home.

I drove a 2005 Ford F350 Super Duty Supercrew a grand total of 23 km before putting it in the ditch, hitting a culvert and putting it end over end 5 times before rolling sideways twice. No seatbelt, lots of bouncing around. Not a fun time. I cant find the pics but I turned a F350 diesel into about the size of a geo metro/ponty firefly. It was pretty epic.

countit

22/5/10

I pulled a triple shift 36 hrs straight. Told my employer I couldnt drive and he told me there wasnt anyone else to drive a crew truck home.

I drove a 2005 Ford F350 Super Duty Supercrew a grand total of 23 km before putting it in the ditch, hitting a culvert and putting it end over end 5 times before rolling sideways twice. No seatbelt, lots of bouncing around. Not a fun time. I cant find the pics but I turned a F350 diesel into about the size of a geo metro/ponty firefly. It was pretty epic.

That's completely insane. Whatever you have to do, but I simply must see pics!

SwissOmega

19/5/10

Ouch, Did you walk away from that or did they have to cut you out?

And do you have pics!?!

gw4k

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/8/10
Last accident on my M, was leaving a parking lot and people were double parked. So I couldn't see the traffic well...pulled up to see the road better and WHAM! Red Camry shaves my front clean off....

7118_1209433950136_1057335913_666876_1108184_n.jpg

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I would like to try to revive/resurrect this thread with a blown up straight 6. Here are some details and lots of pics! Props to SO for starting this thread, give the man some rep points!

This is my fiance's 1966 Mustang. The stock inline 6 was blown up (holes in a piston from detonation, subsequent engine seize, etc.)

The pics will do the explaining. We are in the process of swapping in a High Output 302 5.0 liter V8 from a mid to late 80s 5.0 mustang. I'm lucky to have a girl that works on cars and enjoys it! I'll put up some pics of that too. The swap is on hold right now, because we had to move before we got the correct motor mounts shipped to us (what a bummer). We'll let the pics show you what happened:

First, the blown straight 6, and then on and on and on again (I'm being a pic whore right now):

mustang05.jpg

Me... drawing a happy face after soda blasting the engine compartment.

mustang01.jpg

Results of blasting.
mustang02.jpg

mustang03.jpg

mustang04.jpg

Oooh... a preblast pic or two.

mustang09.jpg

mustang10.jpg

Looks like a rebuilt c4 transmission next to the old one.

mustang11.jpg

This intake manifold is available if anyone needs it... we switched from EFI to carb.

mustang12.jpg

Parts galore. (c5 tranny)

mustang13.jpg

Oooh.. a freshly machined and polished 302?

mustang14.jpg

mustang15.jpg

mustang16.jpg

mustang17.jpg

These pics appear to be out of order...

mustang18.jpg

That's my dirty girl.

mustang19.jpg

mustang20.jpg

mustang21.jpg

Did you get your tickets to the gun show?

mustang22.jpg

mustang23.jpg

mustang24.jpg

My friend and my fiance spray painting the new 302 that will (eventually) be dropped in.

mustang25.jpg

mustang26.jpg

mustang27.jpg

mustang28.jpg

phew..... that took me a bit to post.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
You sir, have an amazing build going on there and an even more amazing future wife joining in on the fun! Please keep us posted on it! I'm very much interested if no one else is ;)

BarVo! BArVO!
ovation.gif

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Well.. I have to say its her build and I am joining in on the fun!

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Whoa Datsun, that is a pretty epic rebuild, you don't usually get these types of things documented with pictures.

Good work, hope it flys!

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Dustin, you lucky dude. I could not get my wife to bring me coffee while changing the oil in her own car. She hates to be in dirty environments...

Well, to add to the blown up car section, I blew the engine in a company car back in 2006. The oil light came on and I had no intentions of stopping at 2 am in freezing NY winter weather. 10 miles down the road the engine blew, scattered oil and all kinds of machine parts on Interstate 287. By the time the tow truck arrived, I ended up with frozen toes and could not feel my face. So my advice: if the oil light comes on, stop and check the oil level :)

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
I had some defective rotors (or something) once on a BMW 325i once. I remember slamming on the breaks at a stoplight, and all of a sudden I saw clouds of smoke coming from the back of the car. The rotors were gone, ripped off, leaving a tiny ring, and somehow the rear axle had broken in half. The same car also had a catastrophic cooling meltdown, when some defective gasket (acknowledged as defective by BMW) failed and I blew the head and just about everything else. Some part also shot around like a bullet and trashed the radiator fan, and the radiator neck simultaneously cracked. PLUMES of nasty smoke. However, I had crashed that car into a tree a few months earlier so this may have explained the coolant bomb.

tokeyx

27/3/11
My wife was going through an intersection with my 3.5 year old daughter in the back seat. My wife was 9 months pregnant at the time. A 98 year old driver, with NO insurance, found a pair of car keys, went for a car ride and got lost and disoriented. The 98 year old was 47 miles away from her house when she blew a red light going 70mph and almost ripped the front of our land rover LR3 clean off. The entire truck came off the ground and did a complete 360.

The baby was okay, she delivered a few weeks later. My daughter was fine. My wife is still in physical therapy 10 months later. I think the woman who hit them died at the hospital.

Now we're locked in legal battle with her insurance company. Here's the pics I got at the impound lot the towed the LR3 to.

39664_1471250416145_1080156354_1354774_3614548_n.jpg

37966_1471234575749_1080156354_1354516_7787721_n.jpg

The car was totaled out and we had to get a new one.

crossbones

I'm Pretty Popular
3/6/10
did this about 9 yrs ago...

cbb930ab.jpg

broken legs, arms, ribs, ankles, shoulder, etc. etc....

i have titanium in every limb of my body now but back to 100%

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
did this about 9 yrs ago...

cbb930ab.jpg

broken legs, arms, ribs, ankles, shoulder, etc. etc....

i have titanium in every limb of my body now but back to 100%

ouch, that looks like a nasty crash. i hope you didnt fly out the windshield

crossbones

I'm Pretty Popular
3/6/10
nah, thankfully the seatbelt (that broke my shoulder and ribs) held me in.

;)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.