• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA Movements

togokm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/11/06
Hi everyone,

I hear a slightly different version to the story. I'm not sure how accurate, but I'll share it anyway.

My version of the story suggests that ETA would NOT stop supplying movements to other brands, but instead they will only supply finished and complete movements to them. In other words, they are NOT going to supply those raw and unfinished movements anymore (not sure about parts though), meaning that if brands want to buy ETA movements they will probably have to pay a premium and get the finished product as a whole.

If this is true, good thing is that we are still able to get ETA movements on non-swatch brands. And the sad part is we probably gona pay a lot more to get them.

Cheers
togokm

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
olivia said:
Or maybe they just assemble movements from ETA parts.
Like I said, "As you can see, they make ETA movements from ETA parts".

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
togokm said:
I hear a slightly different version to the story. I'm not sure how accurate, but I'll share it anyway.

My version of the story suggests that ETA would NOT stop supplying movements to other brands, but instead they will only supply finished and complete movements to them.
Here's the official tale, which explains quite clearly that you will no longer be able to buy movements from ETA:
Swatch Group will continue delivery of “ébauchesâ€

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
If the Rep industry is such an evil thing to the Swiss watch industry why has ETA allowed distributing of their movements to unauthorized manufacturers? It sounds too like mechanical watches are just going to increase in price and value... I have noticed lately that O'Frie has been out of stock of the 2836, but they do have the gold plated 2824. Oh well... :)

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
cybee said:
If the Rep industry is such an evil thing to the Swiss watch industry why has ETA allowed distributing of their movements to unauthorized manufacturers?
Because they sold them openly to anyone. This is precisely the kind of thing they wanted to stop in 2002, but were blocked by the European Union. Yes, that's right, the Eurocrats gave the rep market 8 years of ETA movements. :shock:

In 2010, no-one will be able to buy off-the-shelf ETA movements or ebauches.

gen

Known Member
6/2/07
Klink said:
The rep facotories have owned Switzerland

for years..

In Switzerland now, to be a native speaker, you

have to know both both Mandarin and Cantonese.

Life is Good!
Klink

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Pugwash said:
cybee said:
If the Rep industry is such an evil thing to the Swiss watch industry why has ETA allowed distributing of their movements to unauthorized manufacturers?
Because they sold them openly to anyone. This is precisely the kind of thing they wanted to stop in 2002, but were blocked by the European Union. Yes, that's right, the Eurocrats gave the rep market 8 years of ETA movements. :shock:

In 2010, no-one will be able to buy off-the-shelf ETA movements or ebauches.

so does this mean our reps that have ETA in them will retain a much better value in the next few years than the Asian movement reps? In four or five years from now could the reps we own now actually go up in value simply because they have the ETA stamp on the movement?

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
LOL, I doubt any rep will gain value, well except maybe to us :D , but seriously I know of no other watches that lose value as quicly as a rep does.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
sub4me said:
LOL, I doubt any rep will gain value, well except maybe to us :D , but seriously I know of no other watches that lose value as quicly as a rep does.

oh well just wishful thinking on my part... :)

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
sub4me said:
but seriously I know of no other watches that lose value as quicly as a rep does.

Not sure I agree with that. Go buy a $6000 watch, walk out of the store and see what you can get for it. My guess is that you would be lucky to get $3500. On the other hand, a good 7750 rep can be had new for about $250, and would easily sell used for $190. IMO reps hold their value far better than most gens.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Ok then try this, go buy a new Rolex SS Sub sell it in two years and your almost guranteed a full return on this watch as long as you keep in good shape. Now buy a $200 Rep SS Sub sell it in two years, you'll be lucky to get $100 for it. However it should be pointed out Rolex almost always keep their value because the prices are raised yearly on their watches making it easy to get what you paid for it a few years later and they have such tight control of their prices at the ADs. But in general almost no watch could ever be considered an investment per se, it unusual to ever get more then you paid for a watch.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Not sure about Rolex as they are always the exception to the rule. But, a quick ebay search on "Planet Ocean" shows nothing (Private, not dealers) over $1500. If I'm not mistaken these retail at about $3000? Thats a big loss for a watch that isn't even 2 years old.

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
Questionable, if you do any looking, you can get 30% off retail for omegas. So 3400 (retail) becomes like 2500. Still a big hit, but not as big as one might think.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Big question.. did Nostradamus wear reps?

hmmmmmmmm

and....

who is on first?

lol

balls of crstal sometimes don't know what is behind them.. or even

in fron of them... they cannot see...

have not got eyes to tell

Life is Good!
Klink

an 'educated guess' means nothing in the face of

market forces... at a future time and place yet to be

determined...