• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Electroplating stainless steel: a new journey (PICS INSIDE)

srhoque

Respected Member
28/11/18
That’s a possibility for sure, however what I’m most afraid of this process is that after you disassembled the fixed links you’ll need to replace the pins or it won’t stay safely together.
If someone may chime in on this it would be helpful.

I can do precision job by brush plating using a very small tip on the anode to add up to 10 microns over existing plating. It doesn’t need to remove the mid links but it will be a much slower process than just soaking the whole link in though.

That is true. I have used the Rolex bracelet tool to remove/re-attach permanent links. From my experience with Noob/ARF bracelets, the inside pressure fit pins need to be replaced. They are just not the best quality to be re-pushed back in again. The good news is such pins are sold and available in bulk.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
That is true. I have used the Rolex bracelet tool to remove/re-attach permanent links. From my experience with Noob/ARF bracelets, the inside pressure fit pins need to be replaced. They are just not the best quality to be re-pushed back in again. The good news is such pins are sold and available in bulk.

I was almost sure about that, you gave me the confirm I needed, thanks. Might be getting some of this pins as it will certainly make the middle link plating much faster for those interested in TT watches.

Reactions: srhoque

TidusKun

Renowned Member
28/9/19
R Factory
The result looks amazing! Definitely an option to consider since the full Sedna gold seamster isn't released yet.

srhoque

Respected Member
28/11/18
I was almost sure about that, you gave me the confirm I needed, thanks. Might be getting some of this pins as it will certainly make the middle link plating much faster for those interested in TT watches.

Cousins UK sells them.

pallo

Do not accept unsolicited offers
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/1/19
Nice job

Envoyé de mon SM-F700F en utilisant Tapatalk

Mark1937

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Hi, good work bro!
Can you plate in white gold too?

gamba66

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/15
Not yet pal, sorry. Currently doing yellow and working on different shades of rose.
White coming soon!

Fantastic work ! Seems you are taking the more difficult way as there are also homeplating kits available which get surprisingly good results too. Those homeplating kits have the toxic parts bound inside the solution, they still release toxic gases though.

But afaik there is only rhodium plating which is more of a silvery high-polish look than the gray look of whitegold.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
No more updates ?

It's a very interesting and helpful thread !!

Thanks for the kind words mate!
I can plate yellow, rose and white gold currently.

Wasn’t updating anymore here as it’s an old thread. Done quite a few watches & bezels by now, you can find pics here and there on the forum :)