• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

eBay's authenticity guaranteed - is it really?

vrrr

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/12/08
Quite frankly I don't think any TRUE authentication can be done without completely disassembling every part on the watch. And it should be done (in the case of Rolex) by a Rolex watchmaker at a service center.
It's too easy to mix 50% replica parts in a gen movement, or vice versa, then you have a movement that might run great but has 50% value or less, and might be rejected for service by the manufacturer because of the replica parts it contains. Movements must be deeply forensically examined to know if every part is authentic. Yes you can open the back and eyeball everything that's visible, but there's way more to it than what meets the eye.

The cost to do this is not viable for ebay. I wouldn't ever purchase a used Rolex off ebay that has VSF clones, etc.. Vintage rolex you're safe as I don't think VSF are cloning the 1601's :)

reclaiimer

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
27/4/22
If you're a buyer you will almost always win whatever case you put out on Ebay anyway

reclaiimer

Banned
27/4/22
Absolute rubbish. Read up on eBay's 'authenticity' stories.

Its more the sellers that tend to raise the majority of complaints though because fraudulent buyers literally just have to open a return and send anything back. Once tracking shows as delivered thats the case done and its your word against mine.

WristClock

Known Member
8/6/20
UK
Just to throw in my experience.. I'm not a fan of the authentication at-all.

I purchased an IWC portofino at the end of last year through eBay (UK), which went through the authentication process. And in fairness it went very smoothly, and all of the extra bits were in the box, and so on; and the price was good. Anyway.. A week later a friend offered me the watch I'd actually wanted all along (another IWC) at a very friendly price. So I decided to put the original portofino back on eBay. It sold quickly, and off it went back to the authenticators. Then nothing for 5 days. Then I get a message to inform me that it had failed the authentication process, and was not a genuine watch.

After calling a dozen times I was eventually put through to someone on the 'authentication team', or something like that (the girl had an Irish accent), and she pulls up the notes from the watchsmith who authenticated it, and it just said "Doesn't look genuine". And there you go. In my opinion it was gen, but I'll never know. I didn't remove the caseback. I own it in gen and rep now and with an identical strap it's a close call between them. Anyway, all of that happened within the first 45 days of my purchasing it. So I returned it to the original seller for a refund. The buyer left me my first ever negative feedback, and then eBay removed it because they had originally authenticated the watch.

TL-DR - I purchased a watch through eBay which passed authentication and was delivered to me. I then sold it, and it failed authentication, with a very vague reason. They don't keep a database of watches/serial numbers, and they're inconsistent. Same watch, 2 outcomes. I would wager they don't remove case backs either, as he/she would have known fairly quickly and given incorrect movement as the reason for failing it (which i suppose is good news. I would rather they didn't take the case back off anything I'm spending money on).

I also sold a black Pelagos through eBay which had no issues and went from me to the authenticator, and on to the buyer, in 3 days, losing none of the items I'd sent. So it seems to be hit and miss, which isn't really good enough when you're dealing with more expensive watches.

Last edited:

MaxAndPaddy

Banned
26/5/22
Crewe
I’ve only ever had bad experiences with eBays Authentication process.

drinkdrankdrunk

19/11/21
UK
And what happens if it fails the authenticity check? Is it sent to be destroyed? What about people who unknowingly buy a replica & try to resell. Do they lose their watch? Reported to police? So many questions.

BumbleBee

Banned
15/9/22
And what happens if it fails the authenticity check? Is it sent to be destroyed? What about people who unknowingly buy a replica & try to resell. Do they lose their watch? Reported to police? So many questions.

I think they would send the item back.

My son tried selling some shoes through a site called Stockx (I imagine they have a similar authentication department as what eBay would be using), they faulted his shoes and said they were fake, apparently happens a lot even with Genuine Shoes due to legal consequences and risk for them.

They sent the shoes back and banned him from the site.

Similar would happen with eBay I imagine. Blacklisted: Email, Address etc etc

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
Reported to police???

Mate the police don't turn up for anything why would they care about a Chinese watch :ROFLMAO:

xsuper9ova

Supporter
Certified
14/8/22
I have seen in other Rolex threads that yes they do open the case back and check movement regardless If watch is fully stickered. I suppose they have to fully authenticate ..

xsuper9ova

Supporter
Certified
14/8/22
EBay has buyer protection so money isn’t released until watch is authenticated. You will be given full refund

TDFBluWaffle

Supporter
Certified
11/9/18
Munich
Some months ago I bought a vintage Cartier that reached the 2.000 EUR mark which puts it through the eBay authentication process. I knew it was gen as it is 18k and has a cal 21 movement. The process of authentication only took about a day (based on shipment tracking) and you get a NFC card - now since I knew the watch to be gen I appreciate the card as it might help with resale, but based on the watch construction it is pretty obvious the watch hasn’t been opened, they merely checked the papers it came with and the serial number on the caseback.

A few weeks later I found an eBay seller (Germany) that was obviously selling Cartier reps (AF and V6F) per auction, and the amount reached the Authentification threshold. I was pretty intrigued if they would spot the V6Fs with the mechanical movements, but based on the review later they didn’t - which, to be honest, shocked me quite a bit.

Two weeks later he even sold quartz Cartier reps where it is pretty obvious that the top plate is only added on to resemble the gen movement - again, eBay authentication passed is as gen (based on the review).

What seems shocking to me is that the seller himself posted photos of the movements without casebacks. He also only sold ladies watches that weren’t hyped as much and/or were bought by less informed (less watch interested?) buyers. Might have to check if he is still active…

xsuper9ova

Supporter
Certified
14/8/22
Some months ago I bought a vintage Cartier that reached the 2.000 EUR mark which puts it through the eBay authentication process. I knew it was gen as it is 18k and has a cal 21 movement. The process of authentication only took about a day (based on shipment tracking) and you get a NFC card - now since I knew the watch to be gen I appreciate the card as it might help with resale, but based on the watch construction it is pretty obvious the watch hasn’t been opened, they merely checked the papers it came with and the serial number on the caseback.

A few weeks later I found an eBay seller (Germany) that was obviously selling Cartier reps (AF and V6F) per auction, and the amount reached the Authentification threshold. I was pretty intrigued if they would spot the V6Fs with the mechanical movements, but based on the review later they didn’t - which, to be honest, shocked me quite a bit.

Two weeks later he even sold quartz Cartier reps where it is pretty obvious that the top plate is only added on to resemble the gen movement - again, eBay authentication passed is as gen (based on the review).

What seems shocking to me is that the seller himself posted photos of the movements without casebacks. He also only sold ladies watches that weren’t hyped as much and/or were bought by less informed (less watch interested?) buyers. Might have to check if he is still active…
That is quite shocking if true. Which country was this may I ask?

BentleyGTS8

11/5/22
I've recently bought a Daydate from eBay. A bracelet screw was hanging out and the seal gasket was caught in the Caseback and hanging out (Caseback was very tightly done up). The crown was also unscrewed which I consider to make the watch vulnerable in transit. I contacted the seller, he fortunately took photos and videos detailing the watches condition before he sent it. Only one conclusion can be drawn then, the child-like messing about with it must have been caused by the 'authenticator'. If he treats watches like this, is he really skilled enough to properly authenticate? Especially with he high level Franken's and vintage build's that many of us on here love?

For me, buying watches on eBay, unless geographically able to collect, I will not be doing anymore.

Reactions: ddp

TDFBluWaffle

Supporter
Certified
11/9/18
Munich
I am located in Germany, everything went through eBay de, the aforementioned seller was registered in Germany since a long time and had only positive feedback. Scary indeed

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Ebay authentication is a marketing ploy, don't think it will "protect" anything or anyone, rather it opens the door to potential scams. Some have looked into it and found loopholes everywhere with very little in terms of transparency.
As already mentioned, timing is off,this can he demonstrated by tracking data, a couple of hours between receipt of package and authentication, hard to believe anything serious can happen. Secondly, think of the volumes of watches sold every day on eBay, how many watchmakers would it require to authenticate 20-30-40-x watches a day? And then, if you care to read the T&C's, replaced parts are allowed. Come on!
For German readers only, sorry:

Reactions: TDFBluWaffle

Lambe81

Horology Curious
8/9/22
Uk
Only one way to find out how good their service is would be to attempt to sell a top quality rep or perhaps a moded gen via eBay.
I recently sold a gen breitling there without issue as a seller.
I was mildly nervous a couple of minor scratches barely visible in pics would’ve been picked up as not being listed correctly but alas, it was certified and sent on the the buyer within a day of arriving to the authenticator.
I would personally be happy to buy a gen watch off there, what’s the real difference from buying used watches from the high street? Surely they don’t open up the watch and give it the full inspection you mention, especially if under the £4K mark.

TDFBluWaffle

Supporter
Certified
11/9/18
Munich
Ebay authentication is a marketing ploy, don't think it will "protect" anything or anyone, rather it opens the door to potential scams. Some have looked into it and found loopholes everywhere with very little in terms of transparency.
As already mentioned, timing is off,this can he demonstrated by tracking data, a couple of hours between receipt of package and authentication, hard to believe anything serious can happen. Secondly, think of the volumes of watches sold every day on eBay, how many watchmakers would it require to authenticate 20-30-40-x watches a day? And then, if you care to read the T&C's, replaced parts are allowed. Come on!
For German readers only, sorry:
That link is pure gold, thank you.

And I pitty everyone who doesn't culturally understand "Die Suchbegriffe Clinton und Dahlwitz-Hoppegarten erbrachten einen Treffen in Form der „Clinton Großhandels-GmbH“, einem „Familiengeführten, modernen Modeunternehmen“, zu dem Marken wie „Camp David“ gehören. Mein Gott, Dieter Bohlen prüft meine Uhr?"

Scary is the fact that this authentification from eBay actually enables more fraud than previously possible. Looking at their terms and conditions ("Watches may contain repaired aftermarket parts or retrofitted parts") you can be 100% sure they would let many reps through and and thereby "producing" gen watches out of fakes.

Reactions: Feefo