• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

eBay holding large payments / 2 watch sales

Watch_Boss

Mr_TikToc
Banned
Certified
3/6/23
World Wide
Long time seller on the BAY, 11+ years, 978 100% Positive Feedback.

The last 6 months I changed my shop around from IT ( originally my background IT hardware repairs ) to watch parts & Jewellery
Sold 1 x Daytona Head to a customer in Australia ( AU to AU domestic )
Sold 1 x Submariner Head to a customer in the UK ( AU to UK )
Both customers left positive feedback, both customers asked if any more watches available.

Then bam bam the eBay hammer came down....
It started with all funds were being held for 21 days incase any disputes were raised, I thought to myself fair enough.. high priced ticket items.. even though they'd left good feedback
Then 2 weeks in I get a random eBay message with closing my full trading account down and holding funds for 170 days ( $29 000 AUD )
Anyone experienced this before? I've experienced something similar many many moons ago with PayPal for an amount of $700 AUD... but 29k with items marked as delivered and positive feedback left.. seems a bit extreme?!
I've already done the obvious.. contacted eBay support numerous times.. no help.. escalated it to management.. no help.. it's like they're hiding behind a wall of "it's in our TnC's" but can't actually tell me what the issue is.

Any similar dealings I'd love to hear about it and how your process went for you
Here's 2 Daytona builds i'm working on... nothing to do with what's written above, I just thought some eye candy would brighten up the mood haha! :geek::p

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Can't say I've ever heard of that happening, but I've never sold anything of huge value on ePay, bought some things worth a fair bit, but still not over a few thousand. I would bet it is buried in their fine print somewhere..

I've been a member of ePay for over 20 years, I actually only use it as a 'last resort' if I am looking for something really hard to find. Or, on the flip side. Super cheap stuff. I have come to not really liking the company and it's fees. Same goes for PayPal.

I see you've got some seriously blinging watches happening though. Where do you normally sell them? ePay?

Watch_Boss

Mr_TikToc
Banned
Certified
3/6/23
World Wide
Can't say I've ever heard of that happening, but I've never sold anything of huge value on ePay, bought some things worth a fair bit, but still not over a few thousand. I would bet it is buried in their fine print somewhere..

I've been a member of ePay for over 20 years, I actually only use it as a 'last resort' if I am looking for something really hard to find. Or, on the flip side. Super cheap stuff. I have come to not really liking the company and it's fees. Same goes for PayPal.

I see you've got some seriously blinging watches happening though. Where do you normally sell them? ePay?
TBH mate I normally sell all over AWM ( Australian Watch Market ) I'm a highly rated seller on there but 99% of the stuff there listed is all gen in full set
I figured I'd try do what a lot of the american eBay sites were doing and offer all different products that were bolt on for stuff that people normally purchase like DJ41 and Sub's etc etc
I'm the same as yourself, I never really buy high priced items on eBay, more so just the random stuff that catches my eye early mornings haha, I have niche products though and I thought at the time a great way to reach people World Wide would be eBay of course... it took off.. and then shut down just as quick
Normally payment from AWM as they're all trusted seller is Bank Transfer, have to normally get someone to vouch for you or similar along those lines, never had any issues doing it, first time buyers I'd always offer them PayPal as well for piece of Mind on there behalf.
ePay? Never heard of it... looking into it now!

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
And concur with AWM too, I browse but haven't purchased
Similar with C24, although have bought from there

Watch Hunter

Supporter
Certified
10/12/23
The 21 days thing is common if you have limited recent sales.
Have never heard of the 170 day withhold.

Unbelievable , i would be making some noise and keep at them.

sounds like a Money making scam to skim interest.

Was this on ebay.com.au?

Watch_Boss

Mr_TikToc
Banned
Certified
3/6/23
World Wide
The 21 days thing is common if you have limited recent sales.
Have never heard of the 170 day withhold.

Unbelievable , i would be making some noise and keep at them.

sounds like a Money making scam to skim interest.

Was this on ebay.com.au?
Well this is where it gets interesting
the 21 day hold was on ebay.com.au
There termination of the acc seems to come from ebay.com
prior to the above I had to send them every living document under the sun, which I did, including that I'm the registered owner of the business, all bank accounts, my suppliers overseas, you name it.. I sent it... and they STILL terminated the acc, this was on top of the buyers already receiving the items and leaving good feedback...
yes that's the first thing I thought of as well, collecting huge interest if doing it to multiple customers, I asked the last manager i was speaking with for a direct email address that my solicitor could contact in regards to it, she said that she was having trouble finding it and would send it to my email within 48hrs.. never happened..

Watch Hunter

Supporter
Certified
10/12/23
News.com.au love this kind of scuttlebutt .

send them the details and some media publicity with get it resolved instantly.

they will come out and say it was an automated glitch and sorry for any inconvenience.

I would keep at them still for a place where legal letters can be sent.

its all very odd.
keep us updated Please.

• Love
Reactions: Watch_Boss

Watch_Boss

Mr_TikToc
Banned
Certified
3/6/23
World Wide
News.com.au love this kind of scuttlebutt .

send them the details and some media publicity with get it resolved instantly.

they will come out and say it was an automated glitch and sorry for any inconvenience.

I would keep at them still for a place where legal letters can be sent.

its all very odd.
keep us updated Please.
I sent them another email about it.. honestly doesn't make any sense to me either, I'd understand if they ditched the account if they were thinking I was selling trademarked goods like "Rolex" etc but nothing mentioned about that and all my wording was chosen very carefully with listings
deffz will keep you updated

Reactions: Watch Hunter

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'm trying to clarify as I'm slightly confused. Were the two watches you sold straight genuine Rolex watches, or some kind of modified /built watch with aftermarket parts? I'm just trying to determine if they were built watches perhaps the account got pulled due to a complaint from Rolex as I know they're pretty sensitive about modified watches. Regardless that situation is definitely unacceptable and I'm sorry to hear you're having this issues

aggiefarmer

The older I get the better I used to fly
Supporter
Certified
20/1/24
US
Well this is where it gets interesting
the 21 day hold was on ebay.com.au
There termination of the acc seems to come from ebay.com
prior to the above I had to send them every living document under the sun, which I did, including that I'm the registered owner of the business, all bank accounts, my suppliers overseas, you name it.. I sent it... and they STILL terminated the acc, this was on top of the buyers already receiving the items and leaving good feedback...
yes that's the first thing I thought of as well, collecting huge interest if doing it to multiple customers, I asked the last manager i was speaking with for a direct email address that my solicitor could contact in regards to it, she said that she was having trouble finding it and would send it to my email within 48hrs.. never happened..
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Ebay and Paypal have gone downhill in a very bad way. Customer service is NON existent. I recently had to deal with them. When I escalated my problems to a supervisor or manager, both companies told me my issues was being handled by their "Back Room Team." I can honestly say I had never heard of a "Back Room" team. Needless to say my problem is still being addressed and not resolved.

Watch_Boss

Mr_TikToc
Banned
Certified
3/6/23
World Wide
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Ebay and Paypal have gone downhill in a very bad way. Customer service is NON existent. I recently had to deal with them. When I escalated my problems to a supervisor or manager, both companies told me my issues was being handled by their "Back Room Team." I can honestly say I had never heard of a "Back Room" team. Needless to say my problem is still being addressed and not resolved.
I honestly think there issue is there is no assigned " Case Manager " to the issue, each time I have a response about the issue it's signed off from a different person... which honestly just seems like they are replying to my message that is sent at that point in time, making it beyond frustrating, It does remind me of PayPal back in the early days, when as a buyer you were being ripped off from the seller.. yet trying to prove it was next to impossible, hence now with PP I'll only use FF. This is the first time with eBay though I've encountered something like this, I would understand if there was a complaint or something, but nothing than 100% positive feedback and all documentation sent to them as asked... it's still continuing!

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I'm trying to clarify as I'm slightly confused. Were the two watches you sold straight genuine Rolex watches, or some kind of modified /built watch with aftermarket parts? I'm just trying to determine if they were built watches perhaps the account got pulled due to a complaint from Rolex as I know they're pretty sensitive about modified watches. Regardless that situation is definitely unacceptable and I'm sorry to hear you're having this issues
Did you see this query OP?

Reactions: Rx4Time

Watch_Boss

Mr_TikToc
Banned
Certified
3/6/23
World Wide
Did you see this query OP?
No I did not! Sorry must of skimmed it

1 x Watch was sold as a head only, and then advertised as could come with additional parts however they were AM
1 x Watch was sold as head only with AM bracelet

No complaints from the buyers, they were both over the moon with the purchases good feedback left etc
eBay couldn't tell me what the issue was either, still continuing as we speak... considering near 30k is being held hopefully it fixes itself up soon

Pogranec

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
9/9/22
Wow, that is crazy.. Never ever heard about anything like that. Have try to actually call costumer support? I had some issues with ebay back in my days. When I tried to send them an email it didn't help. But when I actually called them they were able to help me out with my issue.

op3g

Looking Around
29/10/22
Well, friend, eBay has been getting a TON of heat from companies opening up lawsuits due to the amount of "fake" or "counterfeit" items that get traded daily on its platform. Now, I will tell you that I am a cyber security consultant yada, yada yada, albeit an unemployed one, however, that is beside the point.

Let me ask you some simple questions and hopefully, at the end, we will be able to be enlightened.
Open your iPhone or Android phone and find the settings tab where you can see which apps you have permitted to "track you".

Now, I bet you 100$ that you will see eBay, not only that, the little switch is "green", or "on", aka "you consented to be "tracked".

What you probably don't know is that eBay isn't just tracking what you do on their webpage, it's tracking EVERYTHING on your phone. Think of that little innocuous green switch. If you turn it off, you are not allowed to even use the eBay app. ITS REQUIRED.

You may have sold some legitimate Rolex or whatnot, however due to the price, name brand, and amount of known counterfitting activies the items you sold are especially 100% going to raise a flag in some nerd's computer terminal at Ebay headquarters, at which point said nerd will then copy and paste a grep command which includes every known replica dealer's WWW address, IPAddress, INCLUDING I hate to tell you the address of this very forum. At which point your already fucked because hey, it's literally this guy's ONLY job, and the only thing that really excites this dude is showing his boss how effective he is at this cyberwarefare shit because he's a really good hacker, when in reality, he didn't have to hack anything, you gave him the key's to your kingdom with just a flick of a virtual switch and ill bet you another hundo he's probably jerking off right now to whatever naked pictures of your wife and/or dick picks you saved on your phone.

Pogranec

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
9/9/22
A couple years ago I've purchased Van Cleef and Arpels earrings on eBay from a seller that had really good reputation and been on ebay for a decade. My spouse couldn't wear it because the clip was too tight. We took it to the official Van Cleef boutique for adjustment. A couple days later I'm getting a phone call from a rep saying they are counterfeit... EBay didn't care about this. I could only manage to get my money back through my bank providing an official statement from van Cleef and police report.

Reactions: Watch Hunter