• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ebay fishing scam

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
ran into a new one today where it's an email from someone interested in buying what you're selling.

link takes you to a place to punch in your info. joy!

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
you mean phishing.

:wink:

I also get loads of different scam e-mails every couple minutes. Arrghh..

pcfixer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/08
I got one the other day as a question from someone who was "interested in trading" for a motorcycle I was selling on feebay. He included a link to the supposed item he was trading me and it wanted my ebay credentials. Since part of my job is dealing with email, I immediately recognized the way the link in the email was set up as bogus. Since I was relatively safe on my Mac, I clicked the link anyway. Unless you're behind a good firewall and a web proxy with layered AV, I wouldn't recommend "testing" bad links with a Windows box but I digress.

Firefox immediately barked that the page was faked and I was presented with a nice little ebay login page. I forwarded the email over to ebay's fraud group an drop kicked the sucker out of my inbox.

These guys are determined and get better at it every day. There was recently an article about someone, really web savvy, who'd had his internet identity and gmail account stolen by phishers. Be careful out there!

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Speaking of Phishing scams, I almost got fooled with Bank of America Phising Scam myself a couple of months back.

Guys, Watch out for these things (I felt so dumb afterwards... realizing that it was a stupid scam that I should've figured out right away).

J

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
i get the "you must update your paypal credentials" frequently. and they are always nice enough to include a link for me.