• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DSN 040?

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
sup all,

so I understand that DSN 010D is suppose to be one of the best out of box pam reps period. How's the DSN 040 compare? I didin't really see any flaws from this.

???

evildee

13/9/06
DSN's 040 looks like a sausage dial. I think the 040 is suppose to be a sandwich dial. Correct me if I'm wrong.

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
I think the 040 is correct with sausage, as it's pre-vendome group(?). The sandwich dials from what I understand didn't exist until the more recent H-series which is 2006(?) or so.

Then again, I could be waaay off.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
evildee said:
DSN's 040 looks like a sausage dial. I think the 040 is suppose to be a sandwich dial. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, DSN's 040 is good as it is and historicaly correct. The 040 were produced in pre-A style dial and A/B style T-dial. For A/B series the small "-" in T-swiss-T should be removed from his dial to be closer to the gen, but that's close to nitpicking.

No sanwiches were made by OP before Rad G-series 183 and Luminors from H-series onwards. The last PAM sandwich dial made in post WWII era was around mid late 40es early 50es.

Hope this clear the confusion.

8)
babola

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
drfcfighter said:
I think the 040 is correct with sausage, as it's pre-vendome group(?). The sandwich dials from what I understand didn't exist until the more recent H-series which is 2006(?) or so.

Then again, I could be waaay off.

PAM040 is Vendome model, not pre-Vendome. Again, no sanwich dials were made in neither pre-V nor Vendome era before G-series (Rads) and H-series (Luminors). ...Fiddy is an exception as SE made in 2002 (E-series) :)

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
Hey, great! I was kinda close! I'm learning to be a Pam guy! Aaaaaalright! :D 8)

so, how is the 040 compare anyway? Is it pretty darn accurate other than the dashes by the T? I understood it to be that the model existed with both T-Swiss Made-T and T Swiss Made T, as the Vendome group and pre-vendome group were notorious for having goofy varieties within the same model, no?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The thing that throws most people (me included) off with the 40 is that even though it was a B series watch Panerai, seemingly inexplicably, used a whole whack of Pre-A engraved "T-Swiss-T" dials when they were putting them together. Not all of them used the older dials, but a lot of them did. Weird. Just another in a long list of examples of the complete lack of consistency by Panerai.

DSN's 040 dial is pretty good, except for the dashes between the T and Swiss. The indices are maybe a tad too thick and the 6 is more of the Pre-A shape, but that's REALLY splitting hairs. The caseback is from his C series (061?) and should be B series, but again, that's a pretty minor thing.

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
hooligan said:
DSN's 040 dial is pretty good, except for the dashes between the T and Swiss. The indices are maybe a tad too thick and the 6 is more of the Pre-A shape, but that's REALLY splitting hairs. The caseback is from his C series (061?) and should be B series, but again, that's a pretty minor thing.

Wonder if he has the correct casebacks...

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
What would be the best alternative closeback Ti then? I couldn't find anything on gen 055 white dial if it existed, as the brown dial is also rare to begin with.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Well, being that Ti cased reps are scarce from everyone except DSN, we're right back to the 040. Honestly, the 40 is so rare that most people wouldn't know it was supposed to be a B series instead of C, anyway.

If Joshua was still selling his 061, that would get my vote. The caseback on that rep was stunning. Just relume and fit a DSN Ti crown to that rep and you're set.

That's another thing that doesn't get much publicity, IMO. DSN's Ti crowns are easily the best rep crowns out there for Ti reps. Maybe the best rep crowns period, regardless of which metal.

The 055 white dial appears to be a franken-PAM. The 055 brown dial is correct with a C series caseback. I don't have any experience with any of DSN's brown dial watches, but there have been reports that they have a distinct purple-ish color to them in some lights.

The 040 still gets my vote, even with the C series caseback.

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
I'm about to go to the bank for the requisite funds for the 056 from Davidsen with the brown dial. Will report when it arrives. Can't wait!

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
drfcfighter said:
forgot to ask: does the gen 040 have no-AR crystals? Anyone know?

All PAMs made before D-series come without A/R.
So - No A/R on 040!

babola