• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dr Factory Sky Dweller (Review and question)

mmkogut

Looking Around
4/4/21
Greetings,

Recently I ordered/received a DR Factory Sky Dweller. Movement should be a DG. Ordered after seeing reviews comparable to Noob's.

Bezel functions like Noob to set the month indicator, and GMT wheel works.
Aesthetically, watch is a stunner. Sundial and Fluted bezel look really sharp in the light with some great looking hands/markers.
The red triangle has the same discrepancy as the Noob however, and the GMT wheel markers also have the same flaws as Noob (in that they don't 'curve' along the center dial at 20, 22, & 24).
Bracelet could stand to be improved.. I've been much more impressed with my BPF bracelets. Its very stiff.
Date Wheel font is also too bold/looks cheap.
Overall, If you like the Noob sky dweller, I think this is a good replacement. I suspect it is all the same parts assembled by a different factory.

My Post however is to ask about some problems I'm finding.
The Bezel has nearly no resistance, so it spins freely loosing the month setting. Was Noob like this?
Furthermore, the date changes at 1130pm, and when setting the time the hands always stick/stop when the minute hand is trying to pass the 30 minute mark.

Are these issues I should looking into getting serviced? Or just let the watch break in?
My biggest concern is over stressing the watch and breaking a movement piece..

Thanks for your knowledge and support!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Greetings,

Recently I ordered/received a DR Factory Sky Dweller. Movement should be a DG. Ordered after seeing reviews comparable to Noob's.

My Post however is to ask about some problems I'm finding.
The Bezel has nearly no resistance, so it spins freely loosing the month setting. Was Noob like this?
Furthermore, the date changes at 1130pm, and when setting the time the hands always stick/stop when the minute hand is trying to pass the 30 minute mark.

Are these issues I should looking into getting serviced? Or just let the watch break in?
My biggest concern is over stressing the watch and breaking a movement piece..

Thanks for your knowledge and support!

Hmm, never heard of DRF - do you have a link for the watch you bought?

Noob bezels are not loose like you describe. They could stand to be a little more resistant, but don't cause inadvertent month changes IME. I have heard that JWF bezels are loose.

https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php...KD+JWF&x=0&y=0

The date changing at 11:30 is probably related to the minute hand sticking at 30 mins. Over time the minute hand is being held back from where it was originally pressed - physically slipping on the pinion. This may be due to it hanging up on the 6 o'clock marker. The tip should be able to be bent up slightly to overcome the marker height. Sometimes markers aren't properly seated flush to the dial. I would have the hand issue looked at, it isn't going to resolve itself. I'm not sure what can be done about the bezel. There is a gear in the case that connects the bezel to the month wheel that is probably rotating too freely. Tightening the bezel up would require some additional tension like a very thin bezel washer. Not sure if that's possible on your model.

Last edited:

mmkogut

Looking Around
4/4/21
The date changing at 11:30 is probably related to the minute hand sticking at 30 mins. Over time time minute hand is being held back from where it was originally pressed - physically slipping on the pinion. This may be due to it hanging up on the 6 o'clock marker. The tip should be able to be bent up slightly to overcome the marker height. Sometimes markers aren't properly seated flush to the dial. I would have the hand issue looked at, it isn't going to resolve itself. I'm not sure what can be done about the bezel. There is a gear in the case that connects the bezel to the month wheel that is probably rotating too freely. Tightening the bezel up would require some additional tension like a very thin bezel washer. Not sure if that's possible on your model.

@kj2020
First off, thank you for all your informative posts which have helped in so many of my previous purchase decisions. You're truly appreciated.

After examining the watch with your comments in mind, I believe you are correct. The "sticking point" is exactly where the hand meets the marker. The minute hand just isn't quite clearing it, which I'm sure is how the pinion slipped and date change therefore got delayed.

Any tips for me before I open up the watch and attempt to bend the minute hand up slightly?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Any tips for me before I open up the watch and attempt to bend the minute hand up slightly?

I've done this a few different ways and now have an approach I use exclusively. Move the hands to an optimal position for the work. Then put a dial protector under the minute hand to prevent inadvertent contact with the dial. Then I apply pressure on the underside of the hand with another small piece of a dial protector. You need to be very slow and deliberate in bending it up so as not to deform the hand too much. Also the hole surround can ride up some on the pinion on the hand side and in rare cases can even pull the second hand off.

In many cases of having to do this with a minute hand I would take the second hand off first so I could anchor the minute hand hole with a hand press while lifting up the tip. But with this particular movement, the second hand pinion is extremely thin (0.17mm) and these can break easily. So in your scenario I would leave the second hand alone while bending the minute hand.

Z37BI3.jpg

Last edited:

mmkogut

Looking Around
4/4/21
Thanks!
I did essentially this, but I used a pair or forceps on either side of the minute hand to bend it gently.
One forcep prong used as a holding point and the other as a moment arm providing up pressure.

I am glad to report the operation was a complete success.
opening the case I found one of the screw mounts was also loose/out, allowing wiggle room for the movement and dial. This wiggle room I think was compounding the height issue.

Glad to report it’s all fixed now! And I’m just going to live with the loose bezel. After examining it was definitely outside my capabilities haha.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Good deal, congrats! Pics are always welcome.