• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Don't tell Omega but

lincoln

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/7/06
By-Tor said:
lincoln said:
The other thing the watch store spoke about was the co-axial movement in the PO. Does the rep use the same movement or is it a cheaper ETA movement? He mentioned that it was made by ETA, so I as wondering if the rep used the same movement...

That's a heavily modified, expensive and revolutionary Co-Axial movement in the genuine. How could the $200 rep use the same movement? Our reps are amazing, but with all due respect... get real!!!

Omega and ETA are both owned by the Swatch group. So it's natural this it's an ETA-based movement inside Omega. But it's horologically light years more sophisticated than the basic movements that we find in reps. Why do you think it costs over 10 times more?

Well I think it's fairly obvious that I don't know much about watches (yet), so thank you for your bluntness. Im not across the margins that the Swatch group make on their watches. As sophisticated as these movements may be, their margins might still be quite a bit. Hence the question as to how different the ETA movements are.

geopatr69

Renowned Member
28/3/06
:) :) Take care when you size the bracelet. It is a tricky little bugger :shock: Your pin tool will only push it out so far. You'll have to pull it out the other end with a pair of pliers. Don't lose the friction tube that sits inside the centre link!! That holds the pin in place. Also make sure you don't bend the pin when you pull it out!! :) Have fun :wink:

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
lincoln said:
By-Tor said:
lincoln said:
The other thing the watch store spoke about was the co-axial movement in the PO. Does the rep use the same movement or is it a cheaper ETA movement? He mentioned that it was made by ETA, so I as wondering if the rep used the same movement...

That's a heavily modified, expensive and revolutionary Co-Axial movement in the genuine. How could the $200 rep use the same movement? Our reps are amazing, but with all due respect... get real!!!

Omega and ETA are both owned by the Swatch group. So it's natural this it's an ETA-based movement inside Omega. But it's horologically light years more sophisticated than the basic movements that we find in reps. Why do you think it costs over 10 times more?

Well I think it's fairly obvious that I don't know much about watches (yet), so thank you for your bluntness. Im not across the margins that the Swatch group make on their watches. As sophisticated as these movements may be, their margins might still be quite a bit. Hence the question as to how different the ETA movements are.

ETA is just a manufacturer. Most high-end brands use ETA-based movements (chronographs and non-chronograph variations). Actually it would be easier to list brands that DON'T use them.

The genuine watches that use ETA (IWC, Omega, Frank Muller, TAG, Cartier, etc.) are overpriced and are certainly not 10 times better than the best reps in most regards.

It's true that you pay mostly for the imege, brand name and prestige when you buy a genuine high-end watch. But you also pay for the quality control, details and more sophisticated, properly serviced and lubricated movement. The basic ETA movements that we have in reps are just as far from the high end ETA ebauches (such as Omega Co-Axial) as Toyota Starlet is from a Lexus. Still, they are mostly reliable, functional and good automatic movements... and often don't lose anything to their high-end cousins in timekeeping accuracy. ;)

That's why the reps are so amazing. Welcome to wonderful world of watches. And sorry that my first reply came out with such a nasty tone, it wasn't my intention.

lincoln

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/7/06
That's what I was alluding to, that the engineering and quality control would add the most amount of cost to the production of the genuine. The movement is outsourced to ETA, just like in car manufacturing where gearboxes are made by a different company, the car maker simply designs, engineers, assembles and then markets the car, with the majority of components being outsourced. As such, in watches, in theory you could get the same ETA movement and throw it into a replica case and it'd still be significantly cheaper than the genuine that has higher quality control, engineering of pressure testing/HEV, warrantees, marketing, distribution and then margin. So the actual cost of production of the rep is probably around 10% of the retail price, most likely no more than £200. The cost of development, plus marketing would be the rest of the cost that is passed onto the retailer who then adds their margin.

So with a rep with ETA movement costing around £150, you're not THAT far off Omega's costs...

But I'm not across the different types of ETA movements to know how different the co-ax is to the one in the rep. I understand the co-ax movement is very new and exclusive to Omega at the moment, so it'd be safe to assume that once it is available in more models that we'll eventually see it in high end reps. Maybe a silly assumption, but we can but hope!

Do you think there's a market for a rep with such a high quality movement? To be honest, I don't think £1800 is that much for the gen Omega, and my next Omega will probably be a gen. I'm thinking more that you'd put these co-ax movements into replicas of more expensive watches (over £5000).

Another question, how often do you need to service the reps? Anyone know someone that services reps in London? The gen PO has an extended servicing interval because the co-ax is more efficient, so they said around 5 years.

Cheers :)

PS, watch tool has been dispatched, so hopefully I'll have it before my birthday! :)

vmena

9/4/06
Do you know if there's a rep rubber banc for the 42,5 mm version? The gen is very expensive (around 170$ in offrei).