• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Did your taste in watches change over time?

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Chicago Pd GIF by NBC

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU

Vi-Lo

Renowned Member
Certified
18/1/19
Germany
I would say it’s an evolution of taste - especially when you’re just into it for a shorter time… the more you dig into watches and reps, the more you see the more watches you discover that could be interesting somehow.
For me it’s similar with yellow gold in mens watches - I never liked it and there is absolutely no watch I’d prefer in YG or anything, I would even say I really hate it, would never wear one…. But somehow the last days the 126613LN doesn’t seem too ugly anymore :unsure:
And I really like the root beer…
These are like exceptions in my taste of watches.
But the circle grows obviously…

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I would say it’s an evolution of taste - especially when you’re just into it for a shorter time… the more you dig into watches and reps, the more you see the more watches you discover that could be interesting somehow.
For me it’s similar with yellow gold in mens watches - I never liked it and there is absolutely no watch I’d prefer in YG or anything, I would even say I really hate it, would never wear one…. But somehow the last days the 126613LN doesn’t seem too ugly anymore :unsure:
And I really like the root beer…
These are like exceptions in my taste of watches.
But the circle grows obviously…
Same her re gold/TT. Couldn't stand it, but now it's different. Ah, and today I saw a GP Laureato, never been on my radar, really, but how that shined... I am becoming a magpie...

Reactions: Vi-Lo

Vi-Lo

Renowned Member
Certified
18/1/19
Germany
I never liked Omegas until I saw the Pelagos 25600NT in RL and a Seamaster 300 NTTD! I like those two 😅
And I really don’t like squared watches… but the FM Vanguard V45 SC DT Krypton is a cool piece! Will add that to my collection some day…

Reactions: Feefo

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I never liked Omegas until I saw the Pelagos 25600NT in RL and a Seamaster 300 NTTD! I like those two 😅
And I really don’t like squared watches… but the FM Vanguard V45 SC DT Krypton is a cool piece! Will add that to my collection some day…
FM is almost RM...
choking season 1 GIF

• Haha

Grapeshot

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
10/3/18
Wales, UK
I was into Rolex and couldn’t understand the euphoria about Panerai until I saw a 162 for sale. I bought it and then also acquired a 682. It may not be the last.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
I was into Rolex and couldn’t understand the euphoria about Panerai until I saw a 162 for sale. I bought it and then also acquired a 682. It may not be the last.
Into APs at the moment….but one minute they are here the next minute they could be……
Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

Not for a while though;)

• Haha
Reactions: ProperGains

It'smyheritage96

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/8/20
I appreciate a broad spectrum of watches from the jlc reverso too the panerai luminor even enjoy precious metal watches from time to time such as daydate and gmt root beer

PTVGA

Horology Curious
9/10/22
N Georgia
Looking at various watches I've purchased since the early 90's, clearly a fan of divers. I still have some, and all are inspired by or homages of the Submariner. Even the usual face on my apple watch is diver inspired.
Unsure why I decided to buy a Breitling Blackbird 20+ years ago. May have been because it had the diver bezel, and was also a chronograph.
I no longer care for chronographs and eyes make it hard to read the dials and the date, but still enjoy the Subs.
Loving my recent 126610LN purchase from Trusty, and has renewed my interest in getting a gen in the next couple years.
With that said, I'll probably get a datejust from Trusty before too long as well. They are quite good looking for some occasions too.

ManTom

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/10/21
As with anything your taste changes with time. Overtime I’ve begun to appreciate more minimalistic models rather than more flashy watches. That being said, I’ll always have a soft spot for moonphases

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I'm 65 now, but when I was a young lad, I desired nothing more than a YG President, which was financially totally out of reach. I had two GEN SS Datejust, one even with WG Bezel and sold both. I had a GEN Cartier Must, a GEN Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute which I sold for $1,750 or so in 2013, a GEN Heuer 806, etc. until I found RWI.
I went from vintage Panerai to Rolex to Tudor back to vintage Panerai and Rolex. I like PP but my huge wrist requires custom straps / bracelets for everything, so that makes it difficult to get a Cartier or PP rep. What I always liked, and more so today, are the creme-de-la-creme watches, the exquisite, unusual, most desirable ones. And I still wish that one day I can afford a YG President . . .

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
As with anything your taste changes with time. Overtime I’ve begun to appreciate more minimalistic models rather than more flashy watches. That being said, I’ll always have a soft spot for moonphases
With me it's a bit of the opposite. I never had a penchant for flashy watches, always more attracted to the minimalist ones, white dial, two hands if possible, archetypal dress watches. But then I went down a rabbit hole of more tooly watches, starting with mil spec to divers etc. Still somewhat allergic to too busy dials, but I appreciate when purpose and design fuse into that perfect balance...

Reactions: Storm.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I'm 65 now, but when I was a young lad, I desired nothing more than a YG President, which was financially totally out of reach. I had two GEN SS Datejust, one even with WG Bezel and sold both. I had a GEN Cartier Must, a GEN Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute which I sold for $1,750 or so in 2013, a GEN Heuer 806, etc. until I found RWI.
I went from vintage Panerai to Rolex to Tudor back to vintage Panerai and Rolex. I like PP but my huge wrist requires custom straps / bracelets for everything, so that makes it difficult to get a Cartier or PP rep. What I always liked, and more so today, are the creme-de-la-creme watches, the exquisite, unusual, most desirable ones. And I still wish that one day I can afford a YG President . . .

8k will get you there