• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Did your taste in watches change over time?

Feefo

Vaselume (TM) Authorized Dealer
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
A premise. I haven't been long in the rep game and just a bit longer in the rabbit hole, although I circled around it for a long time. Before falling into it, however, my tastes were limited to one or two types of watches/design. Once fallen into the rabbit hole, naturally this appreciation widened. For instance, as a noob-noob Rolexes were for me the watches of people who just wanted to show off. Today, I just love Rolexes. This change, as some others, came with the widened appreciation of watches and learning what is behind them in terms of technology and history.
But usually, so I thought, it's fundamentally the design that appeals to me, where I'm drawn to. For this very reason there are some designs that I do not like, that don't speak to me or even repell me. I'm not into loud, garish, over-complicated watches. Especially when too much is going on on the dial, it doesn't interest me. Chronos, for instance, are not for me, that's simply too much from a design point of view (although I appreciate the design effort and enjoy its history). Skeletons, no-no.
Now, for some of these reasons, I never really liked the AP RO design, it didn't speak to me, too much bling bling, too "assertive" and punchy case design. However, recently on a Youtube video I saw a guy showing his AP RO 15500 with "ruthenium" dial. It was, what, 5 seconds? And exactly that "bling bling" caught my eyes and entranced me. It didn't come across as the gaudy, garish "bling bling", it was an elegant, fine glitter that looked fantastic and didn't really look off if paired to a casual attire. The punchy, edgy case and integrated bracelet were so fantastically symbiotic and organically... it's difficult to describe, bottom line, that design is genius and I think I've begun to understand it and appreciate it. (BTW, it also shows how important is not just a wristshot, but an even wider view of the "surroundings" instead of just the naked watch or even its rendering).
I'm still entranced by that image and I think AP got me and at some point I will have to have one.
So now I wonder, how many more changes of opinions will I experience going forward? Will Chronos pique my interest down the road after all? Will I like RMs or Hublots? (That, obviously, is a joke...)

All you members way ahead of me, which watches you found horrible years ago you now like? What dramatic sea changes have you experienced, and why? What draws you to a particular watch in the first place?

Reactions: CentralCal

MeasurementCraft

Known Member
30/6/22
Interesting. My taste has certainly evolved over time. For years I was fascinated by and always wanted a gen Breitling Navitimer. Now I think they are the most horrible looking watch out there! Now days I’m in love with divers and starting to notice an interest growing for gold, dressier watches.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Changes can be so dramatical. When I saw the Explorer 1 for the first time I thought "man, those punchy numbers ruin the design!". Today, it's probably one of my favorite rolex designs.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
It's strange. Very strange.

When I was young my dad told me stay away from his watches but I was allowed to wear the Daytona for family weddings and such ((for info to you get guys, the Daytona wasn't as popular as it is now and it was a watch that was ""thrown in"" for a very good price when my dad bought a pearl master for my mom))
it used to be my favorite watch until I was able to afford one for myself. Even some models lime the chocolate on leather were like heaven to me.

The GMT and sub I would never be allowed to touch, those were my dad's regular watches. i guess that branded me.
I ended up buying both sub and GMT in Gen and wore them over several years. didn't even think of a Dayto. Didn't even like them for a bit of time, thinking ugh way too busy of a dial for me.

When my watchmaker introduced me to super reps 3 years ago, I ended up going back to the Daytonas. Threw the gens in the safe / sold em.

So my taste started with a specific model, went to another, but came back to the one I used to always love.

ivarandre

Horology Curious
24/9/21
I remember wanting to buy a homage of every watch design.. Then i got into reps, and then i got into vintage. And now im a combo between vintage and rep (mostly smaller and more classy pieces)

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Yes,

my taste definitely evolved in the last 10 years...i don't like obvious and banal watches (i never did in the past too).

This is why i often (note aleways) i yawn when i see Rolex related thread here on other boards....really boring IMHO.

CentralCal

Brig Survivor, October 2023, Never Forget ✊
Gold Patron
Certified
4/6/13
I don't know if my taste in watches has changed - I've always been a sucker for dive watches and that hasn't changed. But as time goes on I become more open to other watch types I would have never considered before.

For example I have been really into pre-1970's manual-winders / autos recently. Benrus 3-stars, Omega Pie Pan Constellations, Bulova Sea Kings, vintage trench watches, etc...

I've got this old Longune Astromatic I've been wearing recently. Funny little thing from the days before reps were widespread, when a company would just name their watch in a manner to make you think you were buying something nice. Longune instead of Longines, or my favorite - Hormilton instead of Hamilton (lol).

Edit: typos and shit

Last edited:
Reactions: Feefo

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
GIF by Miss Universe

Definitely changed over the years…..too much choice;)

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Not much. Grew up a Rolex guy due to my Dad. After graduating College I dabbled in lower brands like Tag , Fortis etc. Once I became an engineer I started buying the Breitlings that were hot in my era. Almost 2 decades deep I still like the classics , but my go to watches are my Rolex Frankens

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
Used to never knew of AP, Patek or Lange.
When i was young all i know of was rolex, the success symbol all around the world.
so my first rep was a rolex sub, tudor bb,... mostly the one i can actually afford in gen, because i listen to advice and stick to my real life budget.
then my career improved then i get a few gen rolex sub, gmt master. then i start looking into rep patek and ap, now the patek complication models start getting some interest, i guess taste change over time.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
GIF by Miss Universe

Definitely changed over the years…..too much choice;)
That's definitely a problem, isn't it. The number of different watches, models and styles to choose from (read: possess).
yas omg GIF by O&O, Inc

1breitling

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
13/9/17
Interesting. My taste has certainly evolved over time. For years I was fascinated by and always wanted a gen Breitling Navitimer. Now I think they are the most horrible looking watch out there! Now days I’m in love with divers and starting to notice an interest growing for gold, dressier watches.
I honestly had to do a double take to make sure that I didn't post this. I'm exactly the same. Loved the navitimer for a while, now I have no interest in it, then the seiko diver, and now rolex subs. I love the 126613LB.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
I honestly had to do a double take to make sure that I didn't post this. I'm exactly the same. Loved the navitimer for a while, now I have no interest in it, then the seiko diver, and now rolex subs. I love the 126613LB.
And im the 3rd !

I tried the 43 and 46 mm Navitimer in a store (when i was younger i preferred the Navitimer over the Chronomat, go figure !) ...well it is definitely a watch that you must try in person and not only see on Internet or Magazines.

And when i tried , honestly i did NOT like it....dial is way too confused and the watch itself is a bit meh in my opinion.

Underwhelming .

Yandes

Horology Curious
12/8/22
I remember lusting after a Tag Heuer when I was in my early twenties. 3 decades later, one day I realised that I could now afford that Tag Heuer watch. Fortunately, I did some research and ended up with a couple of Heuers, not Tag Heuer. 12 years of Gen forums where even the mention of Reps' could get you banned, and net 20 gen watches, I've no Rolex, mostly Omega and some Tudor, Sinn, Pam... Heuer, but because they wouconfidenceld not sell me one, and I can't afford grey market, I bought a Rep Sub. 126610. I now have my first Replica, thanks to one of RWI TD's, asian7750 and a bloody good Rep it is too, though a look under the case back does not exude confidence, but I know just enought about watch making to get myself into trouble, so my opinion means naught. A good rep from all I have experienced so far, but not making it my daily, though it did take 12 days to take it on its first rotation.

Considering my history with watches, the change from Genuine to Replica has been huge, two different schools with a common denomiator, though respect is disproportionate especially considering the price disparity.
On the other hand,
I've always just stuck to sports stainless steel watches, tool watches. My life is more related to tool, than dress and has pretty well remained the same for many decades. Complications still attract me and though I have many watches without a date, I do miss it.

momokurai

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/2/22
You are not alone! My taste did evolve over the 2 years that I have started in this hobby. At first a simple Rolex Panda Daytona is enough to get me excited, now I desire more exquisite pieces that differentiate myself from others. I share with my purchase history because it did show my taste changing over time:

Noob v4 Daytona Panda (Still around. First love) > Clean Batgirl (Sold) > PPF 5711/r (Sold) > PPF 5711/1A (waiting to replace with 5712 PPF v2) > APSF 15400 (Sold) > Custom Rainbow Daytona (Grail. Never sell) > Daytona Custom MOP Dial (Grail. Never sell) > 6263 Tropical Dial by Yodog (Grail. Never sell) > ZF 15202IP (Waiting for clone movement to be replaced) > ZF VC 4500v (Waiting for clone movement to be replaced) > 6263 Eric Clapton/Albino Dial by Yodog (Grail. Never sell) > 5711 Modded with Buff Tiffany Dial (Grail. Never sell)

At this point, I have a 15450 currently being modded with Gen Dial, have yet to arrive. I am currently eyeing for a good AP 15407 or AP 26317bc. When either of these comes out, I believe my collection is ideal to me where I can truly enjoy and appreciate every part of it. Right now it is imperfect and one thing about this hobby is waiting.

To me, Rolex no longer excite me unless it is a very unique piece and I like the design, no offense to Rolex fans! So yeap~

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
No offense taken, it's just one of many. And then, there's no room for offense or apologies in matters of taste. Except of course if we talk Hublots or RM's. Just kiddin'. Am I?
J Peterman No GIF

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
I saw that everyone likes to be like genuine. I like to be unique so i started creating my own designs using pieces of different watches into one to be unique.