• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Debate over which PO! To frankin!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I don't think there is any debate tbh, the CPOs aren't frankenable/parts not available. It's V4/V5 or not at all, and with V4s not being readily available any more it comes down to V5. Get a 2824 based V5 if you want to franken, no point in getting a DG based version in this case.

Also noobs Ceramic POs should be out soon, so that brings some interesting additions to the table, ...and by all accounts so far noobs version seems to make improvements on many of the little issues with the original BP CPO.

...still always gonna be hard to beat a good V5 (or V4) franken though.

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
This is an absolute no brainer. The 42mm 5th gen PO is the easiest franken you will ever do. All the parts are easy to get from Ofrei or Cousins, they all fit, and the work isn't hard to do.

This is what I did,

42mm PO 5th gen Asian ETA (you cannot use the 4813)
Gen Crown and tube
Gen dial
Gen hands
Gen Bezel
Gen He Valve
Gen Bracelet end links
Sunny crystal
Waterproofed

Easy.

To try and do the CrPO would be crazy, and probably impossible.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I used the DG case for my 2892 franken. So both are fine to use. It just depends if you need the movement of the base watch.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
My apologies, if you are changing the movement, dial and hands then of course it doesn't matter which case you use!

But most people use a 2824 and pop the gen dial and hands on it. You just went crazy franken!

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I used the DG case for my 2892 franken. So both are fine to use. It just depends if you need the movement of the base watch.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

The reason I threw in the DG4813. Is because of you using it for a base watch. But now I think about it. I remember you saying you changed the movement and had to mill the case because of crown position.

That is the reason I think I will stick with the 2824-2 movement. Before this thread though. I really didn't know you couldn't find gen part for a ceramic.
So the debate is over for the base watch. From what I have read. The 42mm is easier to find parts for. his makes me think I should have bought your franken you had for sale months back!! LOL!

justudor

18/1/13
I have past up on some deals on the sunnydale crystals to! BMW also had one for sale a while back. But at the time I didn't own a PO. I bought a cheap PO and sold it. So the next one will be a good one. I thought of the DG4813 High beat. But it wouldn't be ideal for a base watch for me. I will shoot for the ULT 2824-2 Swiss for this build. If I am going to build and put gen part's in it. I am going to try to get a good version for a base watch.
Thank you for your input KBH! Keep it coming. Love all the info I can get.
:cheer:

Great thread and information. thanking all.

FYI, pm sunnydale. He has a collection of crystals left, albeit ones that didn't pass his QC. They can be had cheaper, but best to speak to him.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
The reason I threw in the DG4813. Is because of you using it for a base watch. But now I think about it. I remember you saying you changed the movement and had to mill the case because of crown position.

That is the reason I think I will stick with the 2824-2 movement. Before this thread though. I really didn't know you couldn't find gen part for a ceramic.
So the debate is over for the base watch. From what I have read. The 42mm is easier to find parts for. his makes me think I should have bought your franken you had for sale months back!! LOL!

I have the DG4813 version. It is nice enough, but if you plan on doing it in stages such as just buy the dial, then the hands, then a bezel etc you need to go for an ETA or Asian ETA as they dial feet position and hands are different on the DG.

If you plan on ripping out the movement and doing it all at once it takes some serious modding.

I read about this for hours and hours and R2D4 was a massive help too.

I just need to buy my dial and then I am ready to actually get modding.

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
R2D4 and Pap; Q5 ; Among others are the reason I like omega today. This build will be in step's because of the funds that are involved.

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
Great thread and information. thanking all.

FYI, pm sunnydale. He has a collection of crystals left, albeit ones that didn't pass his QC. They can be had cheaper, but best to speak to him.

Sunnydale has been a good friend to me! And he's deffently on my to do list!
For a crystal!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I dont know why but i just decided to build another franken po... A pumpkin one.

Simple as that...

Best of luck with your project Rudy and anything you need we are here to help!

justudor

18/1/13
I dont know why but i just decided to build another franken po... A pumpkin one.

Simple as that...

Because you're hooked! And good at what you do!

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk HD

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12

Simple as that...

Thanks Pap you might be getting some PM from me LOL!!
:cheers: