• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Debate over which PO! To frankin!

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I have been thinking of a PO Build. I love the ceramic PO with the orange numbers. But how hard is the parts to source? I know ofrie offers gen part for Omega. Which PO is the easiest one to frankin? And source parts for?

I have seen all kinds of threads with different PO or other version's of Omega"s that have been frankin! But I love the ceramic. Is this a good choice to frankin? All input is welcomed!
:cheers:
http://www.asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?big_pid=&ps_id=100&P_id=2601&ti=

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Unfortunately, the ceramic PO sux. The Bezel insert sux, and the crown and tube sux, and the bracelet sux. Plus, if you're going to franken it, get the ETA version or save your money for a gen.

My favorite would be the 42mm V4 PO or the 52mm UPO, then followed by the 42 V5 PO.

Just my opinion for what it's worth..........

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
I have thought about the 42mm v5 PO. I also like these to! And have seen a lot of the 42v5 Moded!

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I have thought about the 42mm v5 PO. I also like these to! And have seen a lot of the 42v5 Moded!

Go for the V5 PO, it's easier to mod in the sense that the parts are more available and I'd say they should be a bit less expensive than the CRPO's gen parts. You get my vote for the V5 PO.

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
Go for the V5 PO, it's easier to mod in the sense that the parts are more available and I'd say they should be a bit less expensive than the CRPO's gen parts. You get my vote for the V5 PO.

Now we are cooking with gas!
This is what I need to know!
I like the 45mm because of its size. But the 42mm will do fine. I am going to purchase the base watch next month. And then start collecting the part's.
Then send it off to the modder's. This will be one that I will keep. Just choosing the right base watch is my concern.
Thank's mclarindude! I was hopping you would chime in. Now if I could get R2D4 and Q5 and PAP in this thread with some other's I will have it made!
:cheers:

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
To bad you didn't buy a Sunnydale crystal when they were available. It would have saved you some money.

I did a V4 42mm PO with Sunnydale crystal and gen dial and it came out awesome. The V4 SL hands are a perfect match for the gen dial and are just as bright. And the V4 also has an excellent He valve and crown. To me, it's a budget franken that is almost as good as it gets.

I really need to get some pictures. The gen dial and Sunnydale crystal are amazing out in the sun. And when you come indoors the lume glows like a torch.

The V5 has a better case shape than the V4 but the rest of the watch doesn't really have the same quality of of build as the V4. And, as I recall, most of them came with the DG 4813 movement which means a movement swap is needed for the gen hands.

Whichever you do, it's well worth the effort as long as you don't get carried away. Remember, they aren't that expensive to buy a used gen.

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
To bad you didn't buy a Sunnydale crystal when they were available. It would have saved you some money.

I did a V4 42mm PO with Sunnydale crystal and gen dial and it came out awesome. The V4 SL hands are a perfect match for the gen dial and are just as bright. And the V4 also has an excellent He valve and crown. To me, it's a budget franken that is almost as good as it gets.

I really need to get some pictures. The gen dial and Sunnydale crystal are amazing out in the sun. And when you come indoors the lume glows like a torch.

The V5 has a better case shape than the V4 but the rest of the watch doesn't really have the same quality of of build as the V4. And, as I recall, most of them came with the DG 4813 movement which means a movement swap is needed for the gen hands.

Whichever you do, it's well worth the effort as long as you don't get carried away. Remember, they aren't that expensive to buy a used gen.

I have past up on some deals on the sunnydale crystals to! BMW also had one for sale a while back. But at the time I didn't own a PO. I bought a cheap PO and sold it. So the next one will be a good one. I thought of the DG4813 High beat. But it wouldn't be ideal for a base watch for me. I will shoot for the ULT 2824-2 Swiss for this build. If I am going to build and put gen part's in it. I am going to try to get a good version for a base watch.
Thank you for your input KBH! Keep it coming. Love all the info I can get.
:cheer:

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Little hijack.... V4 case vs V5?

I have no idea how to pick which is which. If you're going to Franken, then the better case is the one to go with.

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
Little hijack.... V4 case vs V5?

I have no idea how to pick which is which. If you're going to Franken, then the better case is the one to go with.

Correct! The case set is what I worry about the most. Something I can drop a gen crystal and dial in!:thumbsup:

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Rudy, you can't really put that many gen parts on the new CrPO, because the parts are not really available. Pretty much all you could do was do like I did and install a genuine crystal. The only other mod that I think you could do to the watch would be a genuine strap. They are very pricey however.

If it was me I would buy a v5, and here are the genuine parts that I would install; I would do the crystal, dial, hands, crown and tube and bezel insert.

I think if I was building one myself, I would also do a movement swap, something like a real swiss eta movement. You really have to be careful though you get too many gen parts and for the money you spend you could possibly buy a gen for a little more. I have seen the white number model go for as little as 2200 dollars. Probably not the orange number dial though, I guess they are more rare.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The difference between the V4 and the V5 cases are very subtle. The V5 case is closer to gen but the downside is all the crap attached to it. The fully functional HE valve and crown and tube on the V4 are perfect, so you don't need to consider changing them. Also, the hands are superlumed already and perfectly match the lume on the gen dial. For perfection, you might want to change just the second hand to get the red tip that is hard to duplicate with a rep hand. Also, from what I have read, the V5 bracelet is pretty crappy. I actually found the bracelet on Narikaa's PO to be the better quality of the three and have stuck with that. The V4 bracelet was OK but had a marginal clasp that was prone to problems staying closed after while. The V4's also, actually came with very nice, clean and new ETA movements if you ordered one that way. No old or used garbage movements. Mine is about perfect on the Timegrapher. That's another plus as far as keeping the costs down.

It might be immaterial since the V4's are no longer available and I haven't seen many go up for sale, but I'd definitely stick to the old style for frankening and forget trying to franken a ceramic.

Here's a not so great picture of the V4 with the Sunnydale crystal before I swapped the gen dial. What I really need to find is an good insert and/or pearl and I'll call mine finished. BTW, I wet tested it to 5 atm and was pretty surprised it passed with the Sunnydale crystal and original rep gasket.

DSCN5060.jpg

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
The difference between the V4 and the V5 cases are very subtle. The V5 case is closer to gen but the downside is all the crap attached to it. The fully functional HE valve and crown and tube on the V4 are perfect, so you don't need to consider changing them. Also, the hands are superlumed already and perfectly match the lume on the gen dial. For perfection, you might want to change just the second hand to get the red tip that is hard to duplicate with a rep hand. Also, from what I have read, the V5 bracelet is pretty crappy. I actually found the bracelet on Narikaa's PO to be the better quality of the three and have stuck with that. The V4 bracelet was OK but had a marginal clasp that was prone to problems staying closed after while. The V4's also, actually came with very nice, clean and new ETA movements if you ordered one that way. No old or used garbage movements. Mine is about perfect on the Timegrapher. That's another plus as far as keeping the costs down.

It might be immaterial since the V4's are no longer available and I haven't seen many go up for sale, but I'd definitely stick to the old style for frankening and forget trying to franken a ceramic.

Here's a not so great picture of the V4 with the Sunnydale crystal before I swapped the gen dial. What I really need to find is an good insert and/or pearl and I'll call mine finished. BTW, I wet tested it to 5 atm and was pretty surprised it passed with the Sunnydale crystal and original rep gasket.

DSCN5060.jpg

It don't have to be a ceramic guys. And Dave I about bought that franken PO out from under you. I think I was the first one in that sales thread when it was posted. LOL! But I want to go and source my own parts and such.

KBH These versions are fine. I really don't have to have that ceramic insert. LOL! The v4 I don't see these go up for sale much. But the v5 will be just fine.
I love the looks of these watches. Ceramic or non ceramic. The dial is nice and clean looking not to bizy. The watch can fit in with just about any clothing you want to wear. I think at this point its going to be a 42mm V5 PO non ceramic version. Unless I can luck out and find me a V4. Now I will have to dig deep for the part numbers for the crystal and other parts. LOL!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The He valve is close on the v4 however, if you compare against the gen you will see it's not exact. The v5 sucks because it's faux. To get the gen to fit, you need to drill the hole all the way through the case.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
The He valve is close on the v4 however, if you compare against the gen you will see it's not exact. The v5 sucks because it's faux. To get the gen to fit, you need to drill the hole all the way through the case.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

WOW I am so glad you chimed in brother. No offence to the other members.
But I have read so many post by you and PO's. And having to mill on cases and etc. So what do you think? Trevers DG4813 V5 High beat version? Or Tony's 2824-2 V5 PO non ceramic on both just regular V5 PO's! For a base watch?