• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DAYTONA comparison (Valjoux 72 vs Cartel)

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Hey guys it’s me again, today I just received my 6263 Paul Newman Daytona Tiffany signed from kilowattore . All credit goes to him, as you will see from the pics later this is a gorgeous watch. If you can’t tell already I’m a Daytona nut, specifically a 4 digit Daytona nut and what is the epitome of a 4 digit Daytona rep collection? That’s right, a Valjoux 72 movement Daytona. Of course, I could go the franken route and with a gen dial or converted 727 but that’s just another price range.
Besides the ‘review’ , there will also be a comparison with my other Kilo built Daytona, a cartel/JKF modded version.
Do note some things / FAQ:
  1. NO I’M NOT SELLING
  2. NO you can’t buy these stock from TDs, you’ll have to get them built by a modder
  3. This review isn’t really about Kilo’s work, so no mean comments, he did a terrific job
  4. The cartel is about 850 Euros and the Val 72 costs in excess of 3500 euros
  5. Some of the pics have a little colour editing to it to match how I perceive these IRL
  6. This is not really a technical comparison, just skin deep to represent what you get
  7. I have ugly wrists please excuse them heheh.
Some specs (I don’t really note them down so apologies in advance)

ZIbkHL.jpg

ZIblCJ.jpg

VALJOUX 72 (White dial tiffany):
Valjoux 72 movement
Ruby Case , Caseback, Bezel, Crystal and Pushers
Ruby dial
Raffles Jubilee
Phong hands
Ageing by Kilo

Cartel/JKF Modded (Black dial RCO):
Stock cartel Pushers, case , Caseback, Bezel, bracelet
Ruby dial
T21 domed crystal (I cant rmb from where)
Seagull ST19/venus
I don’t remember where the hands came from
Subdial mod to accommodate ruby/viet dial

VAL = Valjoux 72 Build
Cartel = JKF/Cartel Build

CASE
VAL above … Cartel below
Although the pics don’t show it so clearly, the midcase for the VAL is a little slimmer than the Cartel. Thickness overall including crystal is about the same for both so idk what people are on about with cartels being very thick.
  • Note that the acrylic crystals add crazy height to these watches, so you may find that some people state that the thickness is 15mm whilst some state that it’s 12mm.
ZIb9E3.jpg

DIAL
Well, there’s nothing much to talk about here, both dials are from ruby so both are about the same quality. The Cartel dial has a very slight step to the outer minute track whilst the VAL dial is more raised.
ZIb63s.jpg

ZIbOS2.jpg

PUSHERS
Okay this shit is a big deal to me, as you can see, the VAL pushers stick out way more than the Cartel ones and look much nicer. The VAL pushers are P302 spec Daytona pushers and look very pretty compared to the rough appearance of the Cartel ones. The placement of the pushers is also another point to take note. Although both asymmetrical, the VAL pushers are further away from the crown than the Cartel ones (more spread apart) by like 0.3-5mm. This could just be due to the size of the pushers but idk.
ZIbyLE.jpg

MOVEMENT
Okay, so at this point you may be like: “Jeez Ivan, you’re a dumbass, why would you pay more than 3x for a Daytona that is like only a little more gen spec”. Alright boys, take a look at this beauty of a movement. Granted, the ST19 is still beautiful as most mechanical chronographs are, but the Valjoux has so much depth and complication to it. One of my favourite movements of all time.

ZIbXEQ.jpg

ZIbPeW.jpg

TACTILITY
So, this is won’t need pictures.
Valjoux: Chronograph activation is smooth and springy. To give a comparison, it’s kind of like clicking a gel pen. (Think pilot G2 gel pen) Winding is crunchy in a good way (John Mayer Hodinkee part 2) and smooth. Hour subdial actually works due to being a genuine Valjoux 72 movement.
Cartel St19/Venus 75: Chronograph activation is like breaking glass, a sharp crack after you hit a wall of resistance. Winding is also crunchy but not as smooth as the Valjoux. Hour subdial is frozen.

MY FEELINGS ON BOTH
Okay look, I said at the start that this isn’t a technical comparison and it’s true. I’ll now give my personal thoughts on both and why I like them.

VALJOUX:
I got this watch partly due to my love for daytonas but also to commemorate a significant event in my life. It will be a forever watch, maybe swapping out parts here and there but the movement will forever be the same. Some may not understand why you would spend Gen watch money on a rep but to me my daytonas are all unique and special in my heart, this one especially so. I enjoy the little extra lines of text, underlines, co-branding on vintage rolex that makes it a little special.

ZIbQmo.jpg

ZIbr4D.jpg

Cartel:
This was my first modded Daytona and I love it so much. The black dial Paul Newmans in my opinion look absolutely spankin’ and don’t have the flashiness of the white dials. Of course the pushers irk me, so eventually I’ll get a modder to swap them out to cousinsuk P302 pushers. In the meantime, this Daytona feels and wears as if it’s meant to be on my wrist. I have developed a deep personal attachment to this one and it stays super under the radar which I love. Kilo aged this watch to be very worn, to me it feels buttery and more importantly feels like it’s mine.

ZIbtck.jpg

ZIb8yY.jpg

Some wrist shots and a family Daytona photo:

ZIbTrS.jpg

ZIbpSP.jpg

Note to kilo:
Thanks for doing these builds for me, they have brought me immeasurable happiness and now have a permanent place in my collection. Also this is a status update that the watch is great and all is well with it!

Note to newbies that want to get a Daytona:
Get a damn cartel modded Daytona, they are great for the money. If you’re into manual wind vintage chronographs this is the way.

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Ivan

Last edited:

gclass

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/9/16
Great review Ivan. They are wonderful.
Wear them in good health.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Very enjoyable review to read. Well done.

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Fantastic post ! I relate with spending Gen watch money on Rep ? Well done sir.

gindiesel

12/10/20
Canada
lol ^^ I was going to use the exact same gif for the "don't quote the whole post" ask...

Thanks for the great info, Ivan!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Excellent comparison and great crisp pics, I'll have to send you my watches for a shooting session next time ;)

This last valjoux build was a rollercoaster, mainly due to my inexperience on these movements. I was honoured you trusted me on this build knowing this and I'm so happy about the end result. I hope you will enjoy your watches for a long time :)

lolex_panelai

Known Member
13/3/12
Ivan
Many thanks for a great and passionate comparison of great and passionate grail watches! And congrats to that pieces!

Cheers, lolex

and pls. sell me that oman-tona
:_o_:

Last edited:

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
Ivan
Many thanks for a great and passionate comparison of great and passionate grail watches! And congrats to that pieces!

Cheers, lolex

Read before intervening, he wrote that they are not for sale!

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
Ivan

Cheers, lolex

Hahaha not for sale man, I got mine built by yodog, you may want to check with him to build one. If I remember correctly it wasn't too easy to find the dial so you may have to wait for a bit. If you get one do post it here! :)

Reactions: lolex_panelai

lolex_panelai

Known Member
13/3/12
so great - congrats:clap_1:

you don‘t see them often!
anyhow, have an „arabian knight" shipping.

yours is wonderful!

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
Wow great to see another Sultan Of Oman "Green Khanjar" build. Here is mine built by slay , although its characteristics are a bit different since it's built with cheaper parts (st19 movement & heavily modified cartel case):

V5oFHL.jpg

My 6263 collection is complete with a silver dial "Big Red" build by watchguyusa1 and a gold wrapped 7750 build by the infamous David Wong that has a JPS 6241 dial installed.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
Wow great to see another Sultan Of Oman "Green Khanjar" build. Here is mine built by slay , although its characteristics are a bit different since it's built with cheaper parts (st19 movement & heavily modified cartel case):

V5oFHL.jpg

My 6263 collection is complete with a silver dial "Big Red" build by watchguyusa1 and a gold wrapped 7750 build by the infamous David Wong that has a JPS 6241 dial installed.

OMG please post pics of the JPS that's my dream daytona (gen), maybe in the never future :(

I reckon your oman build is higher spec than mine, mine has the stock case. Damn that looks real good!

Last edited:

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
OMG please post pics of the JPS that's my dream daytona (gen), maybe in the never future :(

I reckon your woman build is higher spec than mine, mine has the stock case. Damn that looks real good!

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread with such a lengthy post, but here are the specs:

Parts:
- Case: Cartel 6263 Case w/ asymmetric pushers, extensively modified & re-shaped to gen specs
- Movement: Venus 175 Copy [Manual Wind Chronograph Movement], modified to accept gen-spec dial
- Dial: Custom made Oman Dial from Vietnam w/ Genuine Coronet (v72 dial with correct subdial spacing!)
- Bezel: High Quality Black Flat-S Bezel from Vietnam
- Crown: Genuine Rolex 703 Crown + Clark's 703 Tube
- Hands: Custom thin sub-dial hands, look just like Phong/Gen Hands
- Crystal: Clark's Tropic 21 Domed Acrylic Crystal
- Bracelet: Genuine Rolex 7835 folded link bracelet with genuine endlinks
- Springbars: Gen-spec 19mm spring bars

The case was significantly re-shaped to gen specs and modified to allow for a gen-spec flat-s bezel to be installed. In order to get this case to gen specs, about 1mm of metal had to be removed from the sides of the case and they were shaped to a nice convex profile. The lugs have also been re-shaped from the top to have the correct shape/profile.

And here are the pics:

V5oYkK.png

V5oTK2.jpg

V5ohYd.jpg

V5odDe.jpg

V5ojcZ.jpg

V5oHaR.jpg

V5oXPg.jpg

V5oOyA.jpg

V5otLQ.jpg

V5o4Ka.jpg

V5oakf.jpg

V5omhy.jpg

V5oAcG.jpg

V5oBgp.jpg

V5wDaq.jpg

V5wZ1s.jpg

V5w6Lh.jpg

V5wKW0.jpg

Reactions: kilowattore

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
I hope I'm not hijacking your thread with such a lengthy post, but here are the specs:

Not at all, please hijack if it means more sexy daytona pics! That's gorgeous, so much work into a cartel build. That gen oyster and endlinks make a huge difference as well i reckon. The lugs look good as well, gorgeous man! Happy to see other 4 digit daytonuts out here :)