• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Davidsen crowngaurds.....compare and possibly mod?

speedy1

Known Member
28/3/06
Ok, I have ordered a 195.

I keep looking at the pics and drooling.

But, the more I look at the crown gaurd the more I am thinking it is too large. The amount of space within the CG makes the crown look way small and the lever is wwwaaayyyy too far out from the case. (Everyone has their pet peeves and this one is mine)

Can some onelook at their Davidsen PAM and compare the crowngaurd to one of their other dealer Panerai crowngaurds?

I am think it will be possible for me to remove some material from the bottom of the cg (the area where the CG comes into contact with watchcase). But this will only be possilbe if this crown gaurd is a bit bigger than the others that are closer to gen.

I will have to look at mine when it gets here to see how to do this without screwing up the PVD but I am pretty damn good with sandpaper/files/dremel/etc. and I think I may want to try this.

Can some one eyeball their CG's and let me know if it is indeed bigger?

charlesdickens

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/4/06
Speedy1

My 005 should be arriveing early next week and I plan on doing the very same thing. I think it can be done. We'll see though.

dachshund

Horology Curious
16/3/06
speedy1

Be careful taking material off of the bottom of the crown guard, the lip that the screw head seats against is not thick at all and if you grind through that you won't be able to use your crown guard.

speedy1

Known Member
28/3/06
That is EXACTLY the sort of info I was looking for! Thanks!!!

Does pose a problem, I will have to see exactly how thick it is. If this was uncaoted stainless it would be much less of a problem as I could dril the hole .2mm and put a bit larger screw head in it or some other such mucking about. But since it is PVD it means any place that the metal is topuched (of course) the PVD is GONE GONE GONE!

Min is currently en-route so I cannot WAIT for it to get here.