• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Date Just II 41mm Blue Stick Dial (noob factory) Review and Tear Down

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
I have seen a lot of question about this one lately and not many people seem to have a lot of answers. So in taking one for the team; here is a brand spanking new Date Just II, size 41 mm, for your viewing pleasure followed by what it looks like when torn down.

I think you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was with the quality of this right out of the box! I purchased this particular specimen from Timesshop.

Queue the intro from 2001 a Space Odyssey...

I was afraid that the blue dial wouldn't have a lot of impact because the images of it online were a bit faded. Well, you be the judge but I think it looks terrific!

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

The rehaut has engraving, and to my surprise it aligns with the markers! Bonus :thumbsup:

IMG_3997.jpg

R's align on the left side markers while X's align on the right..

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

V Series Serial ( engraved on rehaut and between lugs)

IMG_3986.jpg

The Crown

DJII41MMCROWN.jpg

Lume shot: Lume is eh... well, rep lume. Good not great. I will replace it when my superluminova comes in. I can not confirm this as of yet but I hear that the stick markers should be blue and the hands green. The Arabic Dial is this way on the Gen.

IMG_3950.jpg

The Clasp:

DJII41MMCLASP1.jpg

DJII41MMCLASP2.jpg

The clasp has an extension that folds out to give you a bit more length. Un-snapping it reveals a spring bar that allows you to adjust it further via holes drilled on the insde of the clasp.

IMG_3922.jpg

Pull the bracelet back to un-snap the half link...

IMG_3923.jpg

Now the bracelet can extend out a bit more revealing the hidden spring bar. If further adjustment is necessary fit can be fine-tuned by moving the spring bar end to the additional holes pictured.

IMG_3924.jpg

Clasp engraving:

IMG_3919.jpg

Ok, so it isn't 18Kt... Just ignore the 750. Besides, if you have this in all stainless how can anyone tell just by looking, right? White gold looks the same when polished... :D

IMG_3920.jpg

SEL engraving:

IMG_3918.jpg

Serial between lugs at 6 o'clock:

IMG_3910.jpg

Model number between lugs at 12 o'clock:

IMG_3911.jpg

Let's peak inside. This watch is on the RWI special list. It ships with an ETA Clone 2836-2. I ordered two of these. One appears to have a genuine ETA in it, or at least has Gen ETA parts.

IMG_3891.jpg

Note the nicely finished spacer ring. The dial attaches to this as it is larger than a standard dial. The spacer ring is held to the movement via two screws and the ring itself clamps to the case with two screws and clamping tabs. The dial feet (you can see one at about 10 o'clock) have small screws that come in from the outer edge of the spacer ring to hold the dial firmly in place.

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

The Rotor:

IMG_3933.jpg

The Wheels:

IMG_3935.jpg

Regulator (adjuster):

IMG_3937.jpg

See the single divot on the perimeter of the jewel? (Indicates that this is a clone movement.) The genuine ETA will have three of these at 120 degrees apart. Also notice teh spring loops (the gold thingy), The are more pointed on an ETA 2836-2. Clones have a more rounded point.

IMG_3940.jpg

Rough stampings are also found on the clones. Genuine will have much sharper engraving and logo.

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

After a slight adjustment it was keeping good time:

IMG_3949.jpg

OK, now for the fun part...

IMG_3906.jpg

Here is the case disassembled:

IMG_3953.jpg

Look inside the crown... is that silicone grease??? It came that way! The tube gasket was greased too.

IMG_3903.jpg

The nekkid Case.

IMG_3955.jpg

The construction is nice. The Crystal retainer is easy to align and presses down over the flange (rehaut).

IMG_3956.jpg

The Fluted Bezel:

IMG_3957.jpg

The back side of the Bezel:

IMG_3958.jpg

The Crystal retaining ring has a nylon gasket on the inside with the crystal attached.

IMG_3959.jpg

Inside view...the visible portion of the gasket presses down over the rehaut until the retaining ring is flush with the case.

IMG_3962.jpg

Crystal centered and aligned. I use the stem and crown to align the cyclops from the top and side. Once aligned simply place it in the press.

IMG_3965.jpg

Crystal pressed:

IMG_3967.jpg

Placing the bezel gasket on the base of the retaining ring; the Fluted Bezel will press on over this gasket.

IMG_3969.jpg

Nylon gasket in position.

IMG_3970.jpg

Pressing the Bezel:

DJ41MMBEZELPRESS.jpg

And Done! I tested this case to 12 ATM or 120 Meters which 20% over rating of the genuine Date Just which is 100 meters and it passed without issue. I left it in the tank at pressure for an hour and all I did was grease all the seals before testing.

IMG_3905.jpg

Conclusion:

It is a great looking watch with great construction. The SEL fit is right and tight. It feels really good on the wrist and I love the larger case and dial. It's great for those with larger frames as the 36mm DJ was always a little anemic IMO. I pulled the bezel off the second one I have and will make a mold to cast some in 18kt gold, just for fun. It would be nice to have a two tone version of this watch me thinks. This is the perfect dress watch, I tried to wear it the other day while in shorts and a t-shirt and it just didn't look right...I felt unworthy! :facepalm:

Given the bang you get for your buck with this watch how can anyone not own one of these? And who cares if the case and bracelet have 18kt stampings...who is gonna know?

-DA

Reactions: NoahT

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
Thanks for doing that. I have a similar one and it's great...

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
FANTASTIC write-up, review, pics and info, Alex. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share. That's awesome. And the fact that this case actually has a crystal retaining ring w/nylon gasket-seal is impressive..just like a gen or high grade 16610 rep. NICE !!
With an amplitude of 308, that's a new movement and that's great. Now you have me wanting a 42mm DJ II. Thanks again for sharing, buddy.:thumbsup:

D

d4m.test

THANK YOU VERY MUCH DarthAlex! Absolutely fascinating & loved the pics and clean explanations. Wish I had those skills. This IS a beautiful watch that i need to add to my Bucklet List!

dave

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
I have the blue one too, but is the lume confirmed super luminova? I heard its only normal lume?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Absolutely great DarthAlex.!!
Well done and explained
This is an awesome review
Thanks for take your time sharing that
BTW. I have one DJII exactly like this. I'm very happy with it

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Thanks all!

Omega88, this comes with rep lume as pictured. I will relume it with Luminova to be more accurate soon.

JamDot

I'm Pretty Popular
22/6/11
Great Thread and review.... I want one of these big DJ but half my collection has oyster bracelets...Have you seen any of these with Jubilee?

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Yes, the other I have has a Jubilee... and pictures don't do it Justice. I bought one for my father with an arabic black dial. It is a real stunner. Just flashes and sparkles in every kind of light.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Nice work Darth
is the bracelet SEL 21mm like gen, last DJ2 I had was indeed 21mm. Also AFAIK the gen only comes with oyster (for now) so jubilee is fantasy....

the only thing that I feel is off on these is the date font, do you have a BK overlay you can try to install as that will make it better

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
And the AR coating on cyclops is absent. I feel the dat font is spot on but not bold enough. That's all.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Nice work Darth
is the bracelet SEL 21mm like gen, last DJ2 I had was indeed 21mm. Also AFAIK the gen only comes with oyster (for now) so jubilee is fantasy....

the only thing that I feel is off on these is the date font, do you have a BK overlay you can try to install as that will make it better

RSH, yes it is, 21 MM.

True about the Jubilee but damn it looks good (plus it has the hidden clasp!)

And the AR coating on cyclops is absent. I feel the dat font is spot on but not bold enough. That's all.

Correct, no AR on the cyclops. Guess I need to contact Finedd.

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
A two tone version of this would be awesome! Nice write up, and great pictures.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
I am not sure about DJII, but the Gen blue DJ is white gold.

This rep has all the correct hallmarks for that. This means that the remark about the marking on the clasp is incorrect and the rep is corrcet. :)

It even has hallmarks inside the case although here it is less convincing as the polishing here cannot hide that it really is steel.

But for once, this really is a 1:1 assuming that the DJII version of the DJ really exists. If it does not, this seems to be one helluva fantasy.