• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Correct date dial on Black Dial TT Submariner

mrgpack

Horology Curious
18/5/08
What is the correct color for the date dial on Black Dial TT Subs? I have usually seen them with yellow/off white date dial background and a few with white date dials. Is the white date dial a giveaway it is a rep? Thanks

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
If it is SS it should be white. If it is TT or FG then it should be gold. Only exception to that rule is on a couple models of the YM that have the jeweled markers.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Shouldn't it be gold background with black date-font?

rolexbisub_c.JPG

mrgpack

Horology Curious
18/5/08
Okay, one vote for white and one for gold(yellowish). Went and looked at some preowned gens yesterday and all had gold. Anyone else seen the white date wheel on a gen black dial tt sub?

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
fakemaster said:
Should be white.
guanaco said:
Nope, should be gold with black date-font.

You are both right - kinda of...

Whether the TT has a Black or Blue dial, the date wheel on most Gen Two Tones is in fact an off white color - closer to a very light shade of gold and not really that close to "chalk" white. I have never seen a white (like the date wheel on a 16610) on a Gen TT.

As far as "gold" goes. Some of the older 16613's with lug holes (the A model for example), had a date wheel that was darker and looks more gold in color. The gold colored date wheel that was used on some of the older TT Reps was metalic in it's appearance and really didn't come that close to the darker off white date wheel found on the earlier lug hole Gens.

I would go with a TT sub that has the off white date wheel for a Rep as both the non lug hole cases and most of the lug hole case TT's came with this date wheel...