• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Connecting the past to the present. My collection so far…

brahmabull

On the hunt for PAM163,212,213,288,286,253,228,297
Supporter
Certified
7/11/10
Tar on toe
I joined RWI in 2010 after a trip to China, where I was introduced to the world of replica watches. Was big into Panerai back then. I was able to build up a decent collection and then priorities changed. Balancing growing professionally and having a growing family left little time. Looking back (and knowing what I know now), I should have kept a few Panerai classics instead of selling them off. Who knew that the 212, 288, 219, 253, 286 ( to name a few) would become cult classics.

fast forward to 2023. A friend of mine came back from China and showed me a VSF submariner and a genuine submariner and asked me ‘which one was the replica watch?’ I could not tell the difference. Started up my curiousity and signed into my dormant RWI account. Was happy to see it still existed.

the first thing I noticed was how factories had changed and became overwhelmed with information overload. Spent many nights reading threads and educating myself on all the changes/factories/new terminology etc.

Originally, my goal was to rebuild my Panerai collection however, could not resist the temptation of Rolex, given all the great reviews and high quality offerings that are available today.

Thought I would share my collection and update over time. Not as impressive as other members so be gentle. lol.

2010: my first rep. Panerai Power Reserve. Bought this from a member. Don’t know the factory. Just liked the look of it. At the time, I preferred (and still do to a certain extent) no date dials. no real rhyme or reason. Just a preference.

my obsession with Panerai Ferrari ran deep back then. Owned 4 different models and this is the only surviving one. May look to try to rebuild this over time. Just loved the story behind the collaboration and that the watches themselves were very unique, relative to other Panerai models. Unfortunately, I lost one of the pushers and had to accept that the replacement pusher would look different. This watch has literally been around the world with me so getting rid of it was not an option.

the last of the surviving Panerai watches was my 088. This was a super rep at the time. I bought if off of a fellow Canadian. Just loved how crisp and clean it looks. This was another watch I couldn’t part ways with. Unfortunately I lost the crown guard and snagged the crown, causing it to break off. Decided to replace with a bigger crown. I know, I know, it doesn’t look like an 088 now however, this watch is more sentimental to me and I still enjoy wearing it.

the last acqusition. Rolex submariner. This was when Rolex transitioned to ceramic bezels. Picked this up from another member (are you seeing a theme yet…☺️). This was from noob factory if memory serves me correctly. i love how the pearl has aged. Keeps excellent time despite its age and has never been serviced.

that wraps up my first foray into the replica watch world. Next up, 2023….

brahmabull

Supporter
Certified
7/11/10
Tar on toe
2023: A whole new world. Wow. What a difference 12 years makes. 🤣. New factories. Quality significantly improved. So much to choose from. Where to begin.

Initially, I thought I would stay in my comfort zone aka Panerai. Hopes of rebuilding my Panerai collection with old school classics was quickly dashed away after reading multiple threads and hearing from long standing members. The watches of Panerai yesteryear were now cult classics and the factories that made them were now long gone. Back to the drawing board.

On the advice of others, I started to watch the M2M section. I quickly realized you have to be sniper fast to pick up an old school Pam. They go quickly. One positive outcome was being open minded to other Panerai models. I settled on just trying to get a blue faced dial and a black and gold dial. No model bias. Baby steps.

I was lucky to acquire a PAM690 and a PAM604
Love the blue hue on the PAM690. I swear the colour changes, dependant on the lighting conditions. The sunburst effect can be mesmerizing. A very understated and elegant watch, despite the 47mm case and 26mm lug width. Box checked for acquiring a Panerai with a blue faced dial. This was my first Radiomir. Luckily, I like big watches. 😇

The PAM604 was a right place, right time sort of thing. Love the details in this watch. The engravings are crisp. The black dial and the light, golden Lume accent the case engravings nicely. Ironically, another Radiomir, measuring in at 47mm case and 26mm lug width.

One thing I’ve learned is that M2M can be a very addictive place. Constantly checking if anything new has popped up for sale became the norm for a bit. Was fortunate enough to procure a few watches from @patnaboy over time. A class act and a pleasure to do buy from. Everything is wrapped up like Fort Knox when it is sent out and all the watches are top notch.

PAM6152: Love the black and gold colour blocking and sizeable crown guard on this one.

PAM183 (yes, another a Radiomir. 🤣).

My Panerai journey has been put ‘on hold’ for now as I travel down the rabbit hole of vintage and modern Rolex. I say ‘for now’ meaning unless I see a great opportunity on M2M to cross off a watch on my wish list. 😍

brahmabull

Supporter
Certified
7/11/10
Tar on toe
Welcome to the world of Rolex….

I never thought I would get into Rolex. A chance comparison between a replica and genuine submariner piqued my curiosity again about replica watches. Seeing how many members posted their Rolexes on the weekly eye candy and wristies thread week in and week out further stirred my curiosity. Reading all the great threads in the Rolex/Tudor section fueled my curiosity even more. A chance lunch started my rabbit hole dive into Rolex.…

My first acquisition was a VSF no date submariner. Everything that I read on the forums made this an easy purchase. Being able to see it in person made it even easier. Just a stunning watch. I couldn’t believe the quality. Now, take that with a grain of salt as I am fairly new to Rolex but damn, it looked good upon first sight… Classic Rolex colour blocking and a no date model.

Hulk smash….
The more I read, the more I thought of how 2010 was the beginning of super rep Panerai watches and how I wished I kept a number of watches that have become cult classics. Could 2023 onwards be the super rep Rolex time period? The quality is great. A few factories (VSF and Clean in particular) are hitting it out of the park. Great modders taking reps to the next level with their beautiful builds. I did not want to miss out.

With the holidays coming up, I thought it would be fun to get a green bezel Sub. Starbucks or the Hulk. Both green bezel however, do I want to go full green or be conservative and go with the black dial. So conflicted. lol. Ultimately, I let my son choose between the two. His decision was articulated in 2 words: Hulk Smash. 🤣. Decision done. Easy Peasy.

Here comes the big boy: Hello Mr DSSD
I’ve always liked big watches. Must be my Napoleon syndrome kicking in. 😂

The DSSD has always been on the wish list. Big and bold, yet has a sense of refinemeant and elegance. Think Emmit Smith on Dancing with the stars. My weekend watch.

Next stop: Vintage Rolex ville…
I started to read the Vintage watches section by accident. I accidentally clicked ‘vintage watches’ instead of popular brands. Vintage Rolex wasn’t even on my radar until I started reading ‘The 1016: the under appreciated thread.’. I was instantly drawn in by how many passionate modders/builders we have on the forum. Sharing builds and parts, giving advice, offering support and cheering/celebrating when a build is complete.

With nervousness and trepidation, I reached out to @369mafia to inquire about building a few vintage Rolex reference models. I liked how open and communicative he was in threads and that he has shared his experiences over numerous builds. The fact that he is Canadian was icing on the cake. 😃

He pushed me down the vintage Rolex hill with this gorgeous 5513. Looking forward to collaborating on a couple of projects with him in the near future.

well, that’s my story for now. If you have gotten this far in the thread, thank you for reading. I hope you found it entertaining.

Looking forward to what 2024 holds.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Nice collection my friend. I didn't know you were so deep in the PAM game.
You have a cool and focused collection.

Happy New Year!

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I tremendously enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for the insight into your journey with replica watches. Very well written and very well photographed.

Reactions: 369mafia

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Surprised the 240 didn’t make the collection. Hfac made a cracking version of it

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Fun read and nice collection bro. Love the PAM690, that's a dial you'll look at often and still have no clue what time it is! Thanks for sharing, cheers!

Last edited:

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
Wonderful collection and write up! I am delighted to have contributed two of my pieces to your collection. I also had phases in life where i disconnected from the rep world for a year or two at a time but was fortunate to have kept most of my collection through the years of being inactive.
Its nice to have you back in action after all these years. Enjoy and wish you all the best in building your collection.