• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

condensation on the underside of crystal

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
hi esteemed members,

with reference made to the subject matter, can i place my watch in a heap of rice grains to remove the condensation?
and should the winding crown’s position remain locked or unlocked in the heap of grains?

please help. thanks so much!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Immediately take the back off and place the watch upside down inside a sealed bag / Tupperware with antidessdicant inside it. The stuff you buy in granular form / pouches. Don’t use rice - useless. Place it somewhere warm.

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Rice grains wouldn’t be ideal dust would get into the movement. Def open the back if you have a rubber ball. I believe fridge would help dehumidify but I can’t provide science to support this.

*removed freezer reference as indeed this is poor advice 😬

Last edited:

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
thanks for the advice @muiramas
but i do not have a rubber ball to open the case back.

guess i have to send it back to the dealer who sold me the watch.
he has promised to honor the “warranty” and look into servicing it..

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Use a screwed up ball of duct tape which you can get locally instead. Doubtful that any dealer will replace the movement because you got it wet.

Reactions: Cicero

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
thanks for the advice @muiramas
but i do not have a rubber ball to open the case back.

guess i have to send it back to the dealer who sold me the watch.
he has promised to honor the “warranty” and look into servicing it..
Worst thing you can do is send it back to China. Likely it'll get lost or seized in transit. If you can't clear it yourself contact one of the trusted watch makers on this forum who can help you get it serviced and properly sealed with a waterproof test. As @muiramas says this is what happens when you get a watch wet that isn't waterproofed properly.

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
thanks all for the advice.
i’ll see what the dealer says.
he mentioned sending it back to his supplier, who will be servicing it.

fingers crossed 🤞 then…

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
Reddit must be down.

Have an OP asking what to do and then ignoring every bit of advice given and then someone else says the fix for a leaky watch is put it in the fridge.
my apologies. i am just not confident to open up the caseback myself.
am also exploring the option of getting in touch with a reliable watchmaker.

again, my apologies for the miscommunication & many thanks for your expert advice..

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Reddit must be down.

Have an OP asking what to do and then ignoring every bit of advice given and then someone else says the fix for a leaky watch is put it in the fridge.
Hey muiramas isn’t the number one priority to dehumidify?
You talk about reddit but you're being the child here. Ppl come here for advice not abuse and ridicule.

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Good to know, thanks for sharing, every day is a learning day I guess 🙏
I removed the freezer reference earlier as although it will accelerate the dehumidifcation process. Sub zero temps could foul the oil used in reps. I didn't want to explain it should only be done for brief 5 mins exposure or for a movement you know has taken a lot of water and will require a service anyway. In most cases espcially salt water exposure a service should be undertaken anyway so the fouling oil isn't really a consideration. Removing the moisture and potential for oxidisation would be more the priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I removed the freezer reference earlier as although it will accelerate the dehumidifcation process. Sub zero temps could foul the oil used in reps. I didn't want to explain it should only be done for brief 5 mins exposure or for a movement you know has taken a lot of water and will require a service anyway. In most cases espcially salt water exposure a service should be undertaken anyway so the fouling oil isn't really a consideration.
Cool, thanks for the additional clarification 🙏

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
I removed the freezer reference earlier as although it will accelerate the dehumidifcation process. Sub zero temps could foul the oil used in reps. I didn't want to explain it should only be done for brief 5 mins exposure or for a movement you know has taken a lot of water and will require a service anyway. In most cases espcially salt water exposure a service should be undertaken anyway so the fouling oil isn't really a consideration. Removing the moisture and potential for oxidisation would be more the priority.
hi kidcreole,

so you are saying i could leave it in the fridge for 5 mins? sending it back to my dealer would be a final resort..

my watch was not exposed to sea water. i only had it for less than 2 months. wore it on rotation & washed it with water & mild hand soap.

never had this condensation issue before with all my reps.

pls advise. any help would be much appreciated.

thank you 🙏🏻

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
hi kidcreole,

so you are saying i could leave it in the fridge for 5 mins? sending it back to my dealer would be a final resort..

my watch was not exposed to sea water. i only had it for less than 2 months. wore it on rotation & washed it with water & mild hand soap.

never had this condensation issue before with all my reps.

pls advise. any help would be much appreciated.

thank you 🙏🏻
The watch is almost certainly letting water in through the crystal gasket. You could warm it up with a hairdryer and it'll likely clear. Not too close and not too long. What factory is it? I've never seen a quality Sub rep be so poorly sealed.

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
The watch is almost certainly letting water in through the crystal gasket. You could warm it up with a hairdryer and it'll likely clear. Not too close and not too long. What factory is it? I've never seen a quality Sub rep be so poorly sealed.
this is a clean factory hulk.

when u say use a hairdryer, i take it that the winding crown must be locked tight?
where should the direction of the hairdryer face? near the crown?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
You can superglue a craft stick to the back of the watch to use as a T-handled wrench to unscrew the back. Or you can glue a nut and use a normal wrench. I suggest getting that condensation out of there asap.

Reactions: kavorca1