• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clutch spring jumped out?

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
I have an IWC-replica chronograph, with the a7750 movement. Today it stopped moving, so I opened it up and found a small metal piece loose inside stuck in the movement. I pulled it out and image googled it. Seems to be the clutch spring.

I'm kinda new to this but not afraid to take on mechanical tasks. Been googling and found links to disassemble / assembling of the a7750 which require flash to view, which does not work nowadays. Hard for me to say if this is a tough large job or if it would be possible for somebody with little experience (basically none) with watches.

Problems I'm experiencing with the watch:
The crown seems to be winding the watch even when unscrewing it from its screwed in position (it did not do this before)
The chronograph starting button doesnt give a click anymore (but starts and stops as it should)

I will gladly provide any more information if needed. Thanks in advance to anyone offering any support /+ knowledge.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
That's indeed the clutch spring, good thinking to image google it :)

If you are inexperienced better leave it to a skilled watchmaker, those 7750 movements are complicated.

To give you an idea what you are looking at, I put a Youtube video below. He's installing the clutch spring at around 9:45 into the video.

Reactions: hptjfl

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
Ok, I have watched the full stripdown (or the beginning) of this teardown:

And doesn't the missing part show up on 1:37 already?
If so, it could possibly be a pretty easy replacement. Please let me know if I'm wrong

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Ok, I have watched the full stripdown (or the beginning) of this teardown:

And doesn't the missing part show up on 1:37 already?
If so, it could possibly be a pretty easy replacement. Please let me know if I'm wrong

Not saying that you can't try if you are willing to take a little risk. It is a bit tricky to push that spring back in but not impossible if you have some technical skills, good tweezers and steady hands. The spring needs to be pushed in from the side and it tends to get airborne and takes off into the orbit if your tweezers slip.

Not sure if it solves all the issues with your watch though and also a bit suspicious what else might have come loose or is simply out of place. But sure, worth a try - just don't put the blame on me when you bricked it completely :)

But before you start, maybe try to find some other tutorials on YouTube to get a better understanding on how that spring must be installed. Search for Mark Lovick, he explains it very well with perfect close-up videos if you find one of his tutorials.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74 and hptjfl

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
But before you start, maybe try to find some other tutorials on YouTube to get a better understanding on how that spring must be installed. Search for Mark Lovick, he explains it very well with perfect close-up videos if you find one of his tutorials.
I just tried to put it in reverse to how he's pulling it out in the video, and it went flying 😂
I stopped trying there, found it, taped it to the back of the watch. Now I'm waiting for a reply from a watchmaker.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I just tried to put it in reverse to how he's pulling it out in the video, and it went flying 😂
I stopped trying there, found it, taped it to the back of the watch. Now I'm waiting for a reply from a watchmaker.

here is a tip.

put a piece of Rodico on the rounded end and grip the piece with the Rodico between tweezers.
use a flat piece of plastic "over" the piece to keep it steady

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
here is a tip.

put a piece of Rodico on the rounded end and grip the piece with the Rodico between tweezers.
use a flat piece of plastic "over" the piece to keep it steady
Thanks!
I've come to the conclusion that this will be a homemade repair or none at all, wont spend the money on a watch maker, it will come up to way more then my purchase price.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thanks!
I've come to the conclusion that this will be a homemade repair or none at all, wont spend the money on a watch maker, it will come up to way more then my purchase price.

Some additional tips.

Instead of a flat plastic, you can also use bracelet tape (polyimide). The glue is strong enough to steady the part and will not leave residue. You can dab with Rodico afterwards

When you do the work, make sure that both of your forearms are resting on a surface, and that the movement is approximately at upper chest level.

Don’t drink any coffee or coca-cola or anything with even light stimulant 😅 on that day.

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
Some additional tips.

Instead of a flat plastic, you can also use bracelet tape (polyimide). The glue is strong enough to steady the part and will not leave residue. You can dab with Rodico afterwards

When you do the work, make sure that both of your forearms are resting on a surface, and that the movement is approximately at upper chest level.

Don’t drink any coffee or coca-cola or anything with even light stimulant 😅 on that day.
I actually jumped the gun and tried to get it in, I kinda forced it in and it sounded like something broke, now the watch won't run at all. I'm kinda ok with the outcome, seeing as it was already kinda ruined and I wasnt spending 300 euro on a watch maker fixing it. The only way I'll fix this one now is if I get an eta 7750 with the same dial positions

• Sad
Reactions: Plaasbaas

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I actually jumped the gun and tried to get it in, I kinda forced it in and it sounded like something broke, now the watch won't run at all. I'm kinda ok with the outcome, seeing as it was already kinda ruined and I wasnt spending 300 euro on a watch maker fixing it. The only way I'll fix this one now is if I get an eta 7750 with the same dial positions
Ouch
Force is never an option in this kind of work

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
Ouch
Force is never an option in this kind of work

To be honest, I'm quite surprised, but it seems that whatever I used force on yesterday, seem to have made the screw-in crown work properly, the watch seem to be running as it should again. I guess I'll make another attempty of pushing it in, but not today.

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
To be honest, I'm quite surprised, but it seems that whatever I used force on yesterday, seem to have made the screw-in crown work properly, the watch seem to be running as it should again. I guess I'll make another attempty of pushing it in, but not today.

So it works or it does not?
I am confused

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
While the watch might be running, I would be utterly surprised if the chrono functions work as they should. Those are to some extent independent complications.

Reactions: hptjfl and Karbon74

hptjfl

Horology Curious
14/4/24
While the watch might be running, I would be utterly surprised if the chrono functions work as they should. Those are to some extent independent complications.
If this clutch spring only affects the chronograph im happy enough, i dont care much for it tbh

Reactions: Plaasbaas