• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cigars and the liquor that brings out flavor...what's you're favorite combo?

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
When I was living in Oslo, I got into the local custom of enjoying a good smoke and a nice drink after dinner.

A few combos that I liked were Lapponia Lakka with a sweet but mellow cigar like Oliveros Dos Perez or a good whiskey (ie Maker's Mark) with a Fuente Fuente Opus X.

What combos do you enjoy?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I love Cuban coffee (espresso) with a cigar. I've always wondered if great coffee smells like great tobacco or vise-versa. Must be the dirt.

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
I was thinking about this just recently.

When I was out in Krakow a couple of weeks ago I smoked a Romeo Y Julieta Cedros No. 1 with a local honey-based liqueur called Krupnik. It was an enjoyable combination, and it got me thinking there must be all kinds of interesting matches that smokers have found.

I'm a fan of drinking scotch and american whiskies, and was also wanting to try non-cuban cigars for a change; does anyone have any recommendations?

Shadow88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/10
Any good Scotch (isngle malt or high quality blend) works for me. I like Johnnie Walker Black Label ALOT and have some great Talisker 10 year single malt that I'm trying to NOT drink too fast.....The Black Label is my go-to for the cigars...the smokiness is sublime.....

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Hmm let me think. A nice Ramon Allones with a sweet cherry liquer... makes my night.

tflgee

1/9/09
The other night I smoked a Montecristo (Cuban) with a glass of Highland Park (Scotch). That was a really good combo.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
I wonder if you have to like scotch, whiskey or cognac in order to enjoy them with a cigar? I can't stand the smell of previously mentioned fine liquors therefore never tried any of them with any of my Cubans. A nice sweet feminine liquor, a glass of Portuguese Sandman's Port or Moscatel de Setubal is my perfect combo.

Oh forgot to mention a nice espresso or homed brewed Dunkin Donuts, they go fine in the mornings!!!

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I typically go with Remy XO or a good single malt scotch (lately Balvenie). I won't touch blended scotches...

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Maty.... you just gotta keep drinking scotch and cognac until you like them..... heh. Eventually, scotch starts to taste like butterscotch and cognac starts to taste like fruit and spice.

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
I don't drink.. so some nice cream soda is the shizzle. ;)

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
A glass of Elsa Bianchi 2005 Malbec and a Romeo y Julieta Hermoso #2 complement each other quite nicely, particularly after a fine meal. My favorite:

Bone-In Kansas City Strip, medium rare, with a garlic and mushroom pan gravy, served with broiled apple-bacon green beans, crash hot potatoes, and a caesar salad. A bottle of Malbec shared with the meal, and then lingering with the rest of the bottle and a fine Hermoso. Mmmm.

Damn...I think I'll have to get cracking on that for dinner tomorrow.

m4rsh4ll

25/7/10
Single Malts or a good Irish whiskey and pretty much any mid to high cigar.

Shadow88

18/4/10
On a recent adventure, I tried a Beronia Rioja Reserva 2004 with one of my Romeo No.1's (Cuban) and was amazed at the results....VERY nice.......

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Rum or Champagne are my 2 favs.

Wow. About as far apart as 2 alcoholic beverages can get, yet strangely...compelling. :thinking:

Hmm. Maybe you've stumbled upon something here. I should investigate. A lot.

Will

VB_Spike

Renowned Member
23/7/09
Champagne or Rum? Mix 'em! Bubbly rum! Weird.

I dont drink, havent in years. Espresso on the other hand....Nothing better than a nice coffee with a Montecristo, Cohiba, RyJ. Mmmmm cubans...not the kind sneaking into florida...

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
I had a montecristo open regata and some sailor jerry spiced rum the other day lovely it was, the vanilla and lime in the rum really complemented the smooth, open flavour of the cigar.

I have to add though I did dip the cigar and will probably do it with every cigar I smoke from now on.

Also I dont really know what im talking about when it comes to cigars but still enjoyed it

P

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
When I was living in Oslo, I got into the local custom of enjoying a good smoke and a nice drink after dinner.

A few combos that I liked were Lapponia Lakka with a sweet but mellow cigar like Oliveros Dos Perez or a good whiskey (ie Maker's Mark) with a Fuente Fuente Opus X.

What combos do you enjoy?

Opus X is a great smoke!

Here are my favorite beverages with a fine cigar:
#1 - Coffee
#2 - Port10-30 years
#3 - Scotch (I prefer Johnny Walker Blue)
#4 - Colorado Bulldog (1 vodka, 1 creme de cacao, 1 kahlua, 2 cream and a splash of coke

Just smoked an Alec Bradley with some kona and godiva trouffle chocolate coffee. I really fine experience.