• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Chase-Durer Quartz repair

DenisMcG

Horology Curious
6/12/08
Hi all,

I am the type that buys a watch and wears it pretty much every day. My current watch is a Chase-Durer Pilot Commander XVA that I have had for over 10 years. Around two months ago, the second hand fell off followed shortly buy the chrono not working. This is what basically got me to look at new watches. I just ordered a Skyland V3 from D4M. Anyway, after reading the great info on this forum, I decided that I would try to tackle a repair. I managed to get everything apart without too much trouble. Except the two crowns, they were a bit of a pain. Once apart, I had to do a little shake, rattle, roll with the YM52A movement to find the second hand. I managed to shake it out and using a piece of cellophane tape to hold the hand, and a large magnifying light, I got the second hand back on. It took over 30 minutes however. I cleaned the case and crystal, put it back together and everything is now working, even the chrono. I never would have tried something like this if it weren't for the posts that I have read here on the site. Now I have a new watch on the way, and a functional "work" watch that I can wear around the garage.

Denis