• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Changing battery on Tag Heuer Monaco Sixty Nine

debug77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/1/09
Hey,

Could anyone give me any pointers as to how you go about changing the battery on a Tag Heuer Monaco Sixty Nine please? The display on the digital side has gone so I expect the analogue side to stop working any day now.

I have taken the four screws off the analogue side, and opened the case, however it seems to be pretty sealed and I suspect I may have to remove the hands (at which point its time for me to bow out :() unless anyone knows another way?

It's the $108 version off Rolex2U (if that makes any difference!)

Thanks! :)

Spboudart

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/9/08
I've got the same watch from Tony.

I opened it up a while back cos the digital movement runs fast (20sec/day) while the analogic is perfect, so I wanted to see what I could. The only thing I was avble to learn is how to answer your question.

Easy to do: The digital 'plastic movement casing' is kind of digged in its middle to leave room for the analogic movement. Do not remove the hands, just pull away carefully the digital dial; see the following pics:
DSC02701.jpg

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

I also took pics of the batteries you need 2 LR41 for the digital movement:
DSC02704.jpg

and 1 SR621SW for the analogic movement:
DSC02705.jpg

debug77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/1/09
What a stunning reply! BIG BIG thank you for that reply, especially for going to the trouble of taking photos. I think that looks pretty straight forward thanks to that. Thank you :)

Spboudart

26/9/08
Your welcome!
I thought that it was easier to explain with pictures, because when I started to write the explaination I got confused myself.
Anyway, I love that watch, and not so many here have one like that.
If yoy have an answer for my 'digital' movement running to fast let me know.

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
I just did a Rotary Revelation, and suspect they may be the same.
The Rotary has a split stem system, so once the crystal and bezel are removed, the dial/movement can be "jiggled" until the stem can be seen. Then the stem is turned until the "key" area in the stem is in the correct axis, and the stem is then split apart. (This can take a little force)
Suggest reading up on split stems,
http://montresuisses.blogspot.com/2007/ ... watch.html
(This is another method of dealing with it, but explains the principles.)
So if the Tag does run a split stem, which I suspect, this will be your answer.
The other way to overcome this is to grasp the stem inside the casing with a set of needlenose, and screw the crown off, if this is possible, You then can jiggle the movement dial out sideways.
Once the top movement is out, you have easy access to the 2nd below it.
Offshore

EDIT, I see an alternate answer was posted whilst I was composing this.
OK so of course the digital dial doesn't have a stem as such!

Silko

Looking Around
6/8/13
Hi Spboudart

I have a Monaco 69 and need to replace the battery to. The pictures are no longer available do you still have them?

Thanks in advance.

Silko

Spboudart

26/9/08
Hi Spboudart

I have a Monaco 69 and need to replace the battery to. The pictures are no longer available do you still have them?

Thanks in advance.

Silko

Done

Silko

Looking Around
6/8/13
Thanks very much, much appreciated. Why does the analog watch have a battery, thought it was a wind up?

Silko

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
I will be trying this over the weekend .... thanks so much.

p.s. Does anyone have "loose" arms on theirs? mine are very loose and the watch flops open all the time during normal use.

Also, does anyone know if an all-black face was ever released? Mine has a silver face.

Thanks for any info - Steve

Ozangon

Looking Around
15/10/19
Hi!
could you repost the photos please!
they are not longer available.
i dont have even any idea how to replace:(