• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ceramic Planet Ocean - Scratches on AR/Crystal?

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Although I purchased it a while ago, I wore my CerPO for the first time 6 days ago, and daily since...
Very light use, nothing strenuous/taxing, haven't bumped it on anything, wore a jacket and long sleeved shirt over it but nothing abrasive/etc.
Anyway I noticed today in sunlight what are definitely some light assorted scratches. Not sure if they're in AR or crystal (or are they one in the same?)

Is this normal for the PO crystal to become scratched so quickly, and after virtually nothing was done wrong to it?
I know it's a rep, no worries - just asking! Thanks in advance gents :)
(Attached are two photos)

IMG_7453_zpsb3yhi1sp.jpg

IMG_6522_zpsbjmrp0sk.jpg

Inbetweener

Known Member
22/1/15
It is my understanding (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong here) that the crystal and AR are two separate components. Crystal refers to the 'glass lens' if you like and AR the ant-reflective coating applied to it, usually on the inside, watchface-side of the crystal.

As for the scratches it could be on either depending on whether your watch has a sapphire or mineral crystal. Sapphire crystal is pretty hard to scratch, mineral less so, so if your watch has a sapphire crystal I would expect the scratches to be on the AR.

ashley1

Known Member
27/9/07
I would give that crystal a good wipe over with a new/clean microfibre cloth and something like Solution 30 Lens Cleaner from Zeiss or a good non abrasive glass cleaner to ensure you have thoroughly cleaned the surface. Its hard to see from the pic but could just be stubborn streaking rather than scratching. If it is scratched it will virtually be certain it's the AR not the underlying crystal

Snapscan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/11/11
Mine is a lot worse than that after about 6 months of desk wearing a couple of times a week. It looks like the crystal is covered with dried splotches of sea water and it's clearly the AR dissolving. I read on the forums that it's a common problem on these and people remove the AR with Scotchbrite and rubbing or with a polishing pad and a Dremel, there are a few older threads on this. I'm going to have a go at it this week. Also, I have a few small scratches on the bezel insert so you should be careful with that, cover it with tape or remove it before working on the crystal.

Snaaakeey

25/2/14
Uk
Looks like a bad ar coat. I don't believe its common on the POs but I have seen the same thing on a few cases over the last year. 3 options if you can't live with it. Buff off the external ( faulty) ar. Get a rep replacement. Or get a gen crystal.

ppmoney

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/12/14
it is the AR that is scratched, and is common since Omega uses double AR.
AR coated on the interior and exterior.

jpohl402

10/7/12
Mine is a lot worse than that after about 6 months of desk wearing a couple of times a week. It looks like the crystal is covered with dried splotches of sea water and it's clearly the AR dissolving. I read on the forums that it's a common problem on these and people remove the AR with Scotchbrite and rubbing or with a polishing pad and a Dremel, there are a few older threads on this. I'm going to have a go at it this week. Also, I have a few small scratches on the bezel insert so you should be careful with that, cover it with tape or remove it before working on the crystal.

Yes I have the water splotch looking deals also!
Thanks for the tip and the forewarning about bezel. Have you done yours yet? It is really starting to annoy me!! :(
Please update this thread w your results. I assume the crystal wont be quite as clear after removing external AR?

Looks like a bad ar coat. I don't believe its common on the POs but I have seen the same thing on a few cases over the last year. 3 options if you can't live with it. Buff off the external ( faulty) ar. Get a rep replacement. Or get a gen crystal.

Thanks buddy, I may start w buffing off the AR...

it is the AR that is scratched, and is common since Omega uses double AR.
AR coated on the interior and exterior.

So, (I'm no expert on "inner" watch workings) - Omega, either gen or rep, is Unlike most other watch brands in that there is an AR coating on both sides of the crystal? Therefore the outer AR scratches or fades off? Whereas most watches have AR on the inside and sapphire crystal on the outside, which is virtually unscratchable? Ive never noticed this happen on any of my other watches...

bc1221

30/4/14
my old CrPO did that. looked terrible in certain lights.

it buffs off fairly easy though.
you can use a cape cod.
i used car polish and a buffer. sounds silly but it made it quick work.

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Yeah this happened to mine... removed the ar with autosol...metal cleaner... writhed a treat.

jpohl402

10/7/12
You know, I REALLY really like this watch! But this issue with the crystal - can you say "ANNOYING"?!
Lol... Oh well, reps are reps and not perfect ;)

Anyway, some updated shots for you all:
As you can see - many more scratches or spots. The worst part about it (to me) is that on the OUTER EDGE of crystal touching bezel, only between 25 and 55 - there is a small layer/ring/ridge/gap/whatever where it is more white or peeled away. I'll tell you what it looks like: Literally looks like car window tint. The outer edge of crystal is white or non-tinted, and the rest is drastically different, almost like a light tint film on crystal! Weird!!

Update1_zpsafgbe43f.jpg

Update2_zpsouphuort.jpg

Update3_zpsu0aadk3x.jpg

Update4_zpsepbqldje.jpg

Now, before I attempt surgery - I barely know how to change watch straps or open a caseback. I CANNOT remove this bezel. Will cape cod (used on crystal but inadvertenly WILL touch bezel) - scratch the "ceramic" bezel if not removed? Thanks in advance gents.

P.S. How much is gen crystal?

image0r

14/11/14
I would use painters tape to mask off your bezel. You may also want to remove the strap to make the watch easier to work on. I hope this doesn't happen to mine.

jpohl402

10/7/12
Quick Surgery on a Saturday!!

To start:
Let's grab some painters/masking tape, cape cod, and a towel.

Surgery1_zpstyazcefp.jpg

Tape the watch bezel all up, a ton of little pieces every few mm or so, since the crystal is obviously CIRCULAR, lol.

Surgery2_zpsxyeo4heb.jpg

Surgery3_zpsfiac0fg7.jpg

Now it reminds me of this, LOL! Frilled lizard.

Frilled-lizard-threat-display---expanded-frill-jumping-and-hissing.jpg

Frilled-Lizard.jpg

Frilled%20Lizard%20-%20Australia%20-%2011-23-2007%20-%20006.JPG

A few shots during the process:

Surgery4_zps9hxbsdzn.jpg

Surgery5_zpsuskgj5h0.jpg

I took the tape off, cleaned the watch real good, and took her outside to inspect. I noticed two more areas where a slight bit of AR still remained. So back inside it went, to the operating table (bathroom) to re-tape off parts of bezel, and re-cape cod crystal. Another cleaning then back outside for the final results, and Voila!!
No more "damage/imperfections", perfectly clear crystal, I don't notice any visible difference - it's not cloudy or anything! Looks great, I'm very happy, and I love this watch again! :)

Surgery6_zpsb3ly2fcn.jpg

Surgery7_zpsw7uhdnh8.jpg

Surgery8_zpsoh8uwutv.jpg

Surgery9_zps54czlmh9.jpg

Surgery10_zpsddr38ysi.jpg

Surgery11_zpsybo7kxes.jpg

Surgery12_zpstwdkqvkx.jpg

Surgery13_zpsyafzjhvn.jpg

Surgery14_zpsxjaeozzs.jpg

Surgery15_zpse8reviyt.jpg

And for the heck of it, a few shots with water on the crystal, since I've always liked these types of photos! (YES, all seals/gaskets were greased & lubed by a local watchsmith then the watch was pressure tested in a machine!)

Surgery16_zps8jbazqbi.jpg

Surgery17_zpszivz2ws8.jpg

Surgery18_zpsllltsquj.jpg

Surgery19_zpscnbtdhcz.jpg

Now, one final note - this was EASY! And if I say it's easy, that means literally EVERYONE can do it! LOL :)
Glad to contribute a little bit to my RWI brothers and this community!

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Exactly what i had to do to mine... once you remove the damaged AR off it's a beauty again.. and you're right it's not difficult surgery this one.

pippo

10/1/10
I hate scratches on AR but I hate reflexes on all the crystal surface even more. I really cannot stand any watch with no AR, I know I am sick.
Great job nonetheless!

rivets

Horology Curious
15/4/15
Resurrecting an old thread.......
Are there different types of "cape cod" or is it one size fits all, seems to be for fine metals "on the tin"
Cheers