• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ceramic Coating on clasp/watch/bracelet for YG/RG

kevBquick

9/10/18
You have the most suitable method with those covers.
Ecoating needs to be polished heavily in order for it to work properly to avoid spot discoloring. 1 coat is not enough however 1 coat on RG makes it look darker. Another coat and it will look like total copper. RG has higher copper and zinc metals to begin with so it migrates through any plating and coats quicker than YG.

Clear powder coating is a better and easier solution to this problem. Air compressor, coat gun and toaster oven from walmart and it will work. Clear powder coatings can be applied thicker as well but instead of polishing you need to brush the surface. Bonus is it wont react with surface colour.

The BEST solution for everyone's plating problems would be Titanium nitride method...
Gold deposition over the TiN...TiN is relatively rough and the gold fills the valleys and peaks. As the gold wears off the peaks, then the TiN acts as a very hard and durable wear resistant point that protects the gold deposits in the valley.

Naturally TiN has a an electrical sensitivity of 20 to 25 Ohm-CM so it's not ideal with most metals because of its lack of conductivity but 316l and 904l can work. To make it conductive enough for a substrate for electrodeposition, the conductivity needs to be increased. With PVD, you can deposit a layer of gold on top of the TiN. This will require the normal preparation by plasma discharge prior to gold coating. However if you want to use conventional electroless gold the TiN will need to be thoroughly prepared to be a non conducting surface. So alkaline, acid dips with any suitable activation that may be required. TiN gives it a hardness of 84 RC and a higher melting point.

Some use ZrN(C) and think it's better due to the amount of carbon being used to adjust the colour. The colour is a brighter more accurate gold to some with a much lower chance of corrosion and even harder and extremely wear resistant. Problem is you need to plate the substrate with nickel first that is electroless for shine and corrosion resistance. Some people's skin cant take nickel.

i wish i understood half that post.

don't judge the color it was a $5 spare i was going to throw on and ruin vs the actual piece. what you see is what you get...it was not a good uniform RG but it served its purpose.

wouldn't powder change the thickness and texture of the piece though?

i will do multiples of coatings on my RG yachtmaster. There is one on there now...no color change.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
In the purpose of adding more insight into the many gold plated rep questions that seem to surface. You have to understand gold plating is a PAIN. There is so many factors to its durability.

If you have that gold bug there are ways to keep your rep in good condition for longer. To begin with a watch needs to be plated atleast 25 microns thick. Watches are worn daily and with constant skin contact. Personally I dont believe those "wrapped" versions are even 25 microns thick. An XRF test would be needed to see the actual microns. Aluminum foil light gauge is 280x thicker than basic plated reps, just go give you an example.

You really have to clean your reps after a night out. When going to dinner, foods with sulphide and chlorides can accelerate the fading process. Even before going out you dont want to spray that cologne anywhere near it. If use anti dandruff products that can affect rose gold reps the worst along with sulphide foods and turn it a dark colour. I'm sure some users here have run into that issue.

There is also the geological factor to plating durability you have to consider before buying.
Someone in the UK with wet and humid salt laden air is not ideal for a plated replica. There is no solution to a persons salt laden perspiration reacting with the plating. Specifically in the UK, Manchester, and Liverpool are the worst for plated reps.

Florida, New York, New Jersey are terrible locations for plated reps as well with Florida being the worst in the USA for them. Costal/marine and industrial/marine to sum it up are not ideal climates for plated replicas to be in and would need to be cleaned if the watch is a daily user.

I believe Florida measures the furthest for salt laden air drops. At about 30 to 50 miles inland.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
i wish i understood half that post.

don't judge the color it was a $5 spare i was going to throw on and ruin vs the actual piece. what you see is what you get...it was not a good uniform RG but it served its purpose.

wouldn't powder change the thickness and texture of the piece though?

i will do multiples of coatings on my RG yachtmaster. There is one on there now...no color change.

It would give it a better thickness and protection to scratches. Top coats always change the texture of jewelry so that is a given already. clear powder coating wont change the colour though. I've had more success with clear powder coating.

side note: I'm not trying to bash you're experiment at all, I applaud any experiment. I would suggest doing before and after pics on you're next coat. For me the colour changed into a darker tint when I ecoat.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What about wiping down rep "gold" plating? I've been using a mild eyeglass lens cleaner on a lens cloth. IDK exactly what the components of the cleaner are, maybe alcohol based. It's Walmart's own brand, I have free lifetime refills, lol. The lens cloth is from Zeiss, it's better than a microfiber cloth and leaves no trace of scratches. This is the same technique I use to wipe down my SS watches. I spray the cloth lightly and then swipe gently across all accessible watch surfaces. It does an exceptional job of cleaning. All of my reps could pass for almost brand new, I have a zero scratch tolerance policy. Scratches get polished out soon after discovery but obviously I can't do that on "gold" reps hence the protective film. But I don't want to do damage to the gold plating with any chemical solution so I'm wondering about using this lens cleaner solution on them.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
What about wiping down rep "gold" plating? I've been using a mild eyeglass lens cleaner on a lens cloth. IDK exactly what the components of the cleaner are, maybe alcohol based. It's Walmart's own brand, I have free lifetime refills, lol. The lens cloth is from Zeiss, it's better than a microfiber cloth and leaves no trace of scratches. This is the same technique I use to wipe down my SS watches. I spray the cloth lightly and then swipe gently across all accessible watch surfaces. It does an exceptional job of cleaning. All of my reps could pass for almost brand new, I have a zero scratch tolerance policy. Scratches get polished out soon after discovery but obviously I can't do that on "gold" reps hence the protective film. But I don't want to do damage to the gold plating with any chemical solution so I'm wondering about using this lens cleaner solution on them.

Those lens cleaners are rubbing alchol and water with some added chemicals to give it a bad taste. But mostly water. The PH level is 7 which is neutral. You can only clean plated jewelry with PH neutral products so it should be fine for plated jewelry.
Even that basic blue dawn dish soap with warm water will work after a few dips and wipes with cotton balls. Micro fibre cloth works too.

Put silica gel packs in your watch case as well. Keeping your watches in the room of the house that the humidifier is in works great too. You want no moisture where you store it. It will be a big difference.

The plated reps need more care but they are fun to wear lol.

James2020

1/6/20
An alternative is to have a protective sticker film on your clasp. Won’t be as nice because sticker outline will be slightly visible but it will protect your clasp better

There are several brands out there and the below link is one of them. It’s not cheap so you may want to shop around...

https://www.yololuxurywatches.com/

zewthenimp

Horology Curious
3/8/21
I bought some ceramic coating (CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0) to help protect a rose gold rep that's about to arrive. Can I use this on the crystal as well? Or do I need to be cautious and stick to the gold case/clasp?

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I think this could be really interesting to see developed. Plastic stickers are not a good solution.

Last edited:

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
25/2/21
i'm going to chime in (and necro this thread) as I've been experimenting a bit lately with regards to stickerless watch protection.

Ceramic Coating

Addressing misconceptions

People incorrectly look to ceramic coating to prevent scuffs and scratches. Nano/ceramic coating will do very little to prevent anything that is more than micro-marring. Having said, that, some of the thicker ceramic coatings do claim to prevent against micro-marring. We all know how easy it is to pick up little scuffs here and there which tend to accumulate. Ceramic coating can help mitigate at most against micro marring. A lot of marketing will misleadingly advertise it as 9H/10H hardness. This is not on the mohs scale. This is on the pencil hardness scale.

What is it good for then?

Its primary uses come from its hydrophobic properties.

- Resistant to chemicals (pH2 - pH12)
- Easier to remove bonded contaminants
- Slick to the touch
- High gloss

In the real world it means it is a good product to add gloss to your watch, keep sweat off any plating and prevent some degree of micro-marring.

Procedure, experience and results

With any detailing, I prep the surface the best I can, i.e polishing and cleaning the parts.

I apply a combination of Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light as the base coat and Exo v4 as the top coat. Applying the layers within 24h of eachother, with 24h to cure. I am sure to apply an even coat, buffing off excess residue. I don't believe there is any benefit to applying multiple layers of CSL as it won't bond to itself.

After applying, the watches become incredibly slick to the touch and have a beautiful gloss to them (you can use a ceramic sealant such as gtechniq c2 every few months to maintain the gloss and protect the coating). I can't speak for other ceramic coating products but they should be the same in that there is no detrimental effect to how it looks. There is no noticeable added thickness, texture or dulling of any kind. It becomes incredibly glossy, rather.

You'll use a minuscule amount of solution, even after coating 10 watches. So if you want to attempt ceramic coating yourself, buy the smallest volume available.

Note: I am not sponsored by gtechniq, it's just that I use their products on my cars and I know and trust these products to not ruin my watches.

Products Used:

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
Gtechniq Exo v4
Gtechniq C2 ceramic sealant

Plated clasp comparison. - Noob RG

I have had ceramic coating on gold plated watches. It's not all that humid here in the UK, but none of them have any signs of tarnishing. Having said that, I have good cleaning habits. I clean and wipe down my watches after every day of use, especially if it's been a hot day. Here's a clasp that has been carefully cared for - worn perhaps once every 2 weeks since ~Feb '21 (1 year 4 months ago, at time of writing). Ceramic coated around the same time, cleaned after every use. Spotless condition.
z3srF8.jpg

Noob v2 Clasp - 2nd hand, arrived to me in this condition. This is how your plating could look like when improperly cared for.

z3sBAK.jpg

Liquid Skin

Given the ceramic coating route didn't actually provide much in the way of scratch resistance, I looked to thicker solutions such as Liquid Skin by The Watch Protect Company

This is an expensive solution, retailing at £129 (~$160).

I decided to test this on a link. First, I polished and cleaned it up:
z3slv1.jpg

After applying two layers of the solution, it ended up looking something like this. It's an incredibly thick and gooey liquid to work with, and as you can see, it's rather streaky and any dust can easily get trapped. I could probably have started again and done this neatly but for the purposes of testing its durability, I left it as it is.

You can definitely feel the thickness of this coating. The biggest detriment to using this is that it adds texture and dulls the surface.
z3sCzj.jpg

Here's how it looks after dishing out some punishment to it. I attacked it with screwdrivers (both lightly and forcibly) as well as rubbing it on wooden surfaces as well as metal surfaces. It resisted wooden surfaces decently well without visible change to the skin but metal surfaces definitely dulled the skin big time.
z3sPO4.jpg

I removed the coating with acetone to see how it looked like underneath. As you can see, most signs of damage remain but it looks like it has definitely protected the surface to a degree.
z3swpi.jpg

Closing thoughts:

The product definitely protects against light scuffs and micro marring. But is it worth the ugly aesthetic it adds to your watch?

Here's another application, comparing the aesthetic of Liquid skin versus nano coating. You can say I'm bad at applying it, but I will say it is incredibly difficult to apply evenly.
z3sEzt.jpg

At the end of the day, neither products protect against any deep scratches. You'll need protective stickers for that.

I highly recommended nano/ceramic coating your plated watches to protect against harsh chemicals. If you want to protect against micro marring, the prosumer products such as crystal serum light will aid the battle somewhat. I haven't used Crystal Serum Ultra, which is supposedly a much harder coat, but it is not available to consumers.

Regarding the liquid skin. It definitely works against the lighter impacts but given its ugly appearance, I decided to limit its use. I now only apply it to the link that makes contact with the edge of the clasp (as seen in photo above), seeing as that link is the most prone to being scratched by the edge of the clasp and is the least visible.

At the end of the day, as obvious as it sounds, the most effective option to protecting your watch is simply to learn to not smack it on things! Easier said than done but I've gradually learned to tuck my arm in when walking past a door frame or not resting my wrist on a metal table! Regarding plating. Ceramic coating will help you prevent tarnishing, especially if you're out all day but the most effective thing to do is to give it a nice wipe down after a sweaty day or avoid wearing a plated watch on a hot day at all!

Last edited:

sometimesryan

Horology Curious
20/4/18
Automotive ceramic coating will not meaningfully protect your watch from anything, just as it won't meaningfully protect your car paint from anything except some dirt sticking to it.

Reactions: Yogibear

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
i'm going to chime in (and necro this thread) as I've been experimenting a bit lately with regards to stickerless watch protection.

Ceramic Coating

Addressing misconceptions

People incorrectly look to ceramic coating to prevent scuffs and scratches. Nano/ceramic coating will do very little to prevent anything that is more than micro-marring. Having said, that, some of the thicker ceramic coatings do claim to prevent against micro-marring. We all know how easy it is to pick up little scuffs here and there which tend to accumulate. Ceramic coating can help mitigate at most against micro marring. A lot of marketing will misleadingly advertise it as 9H/10H hardness. This is not on the mohs scale. This is on the pencil hardness scale.

What is it good for then?

Its primary uses come from its hydrophobic properties.

- Resistant to chemicals (pH2 - pH12)
- Easier to remove bonded contaminants
- Slick to the touch
- High gloss

In the real world it means it is a good product to add gloss to your watch, keep sweat off any plating and prevent some degree of micro-marring.

Procedure, experience and results

With any detailing, I prep the surface the best I can, i.e polishing and cleaning the parts.

I apply a combination of Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light as the base coat and Exo v4 as the top coat. Applying the layers within 24h of eachother, with 24h to cure. I am sure to apply an even coat, buffing off excess residue. I don't believe there is any benefit to applying multiple layers of CSL as it won't bond to itself.

After applying, the watches become incredibly slick to the touch and have a beautiful gloss to them (you can use a ceramic sealant such as gtechniq c2 every few months to maintain the gloss and protect the coating). I can't speak for other ceramic coating products but they should be the same in that there is no detrimental effect to how it looks. There is no noticeable added thickness, texture or dulling of any kind. It becomes incredibly glossy, rather.

You'll use a minuscule amount of solution, even after coating 10 watches. So if you want to attempt ceramic coating yourself, buy the smallest volume available.

Note: I am not sponsored by gtechniq, it's just that I use their products on my cars and I know and trust these products to not ruin my watches.

Products Used:

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
Gtechniq Exo v4
Gtechniq C2 ceramic sealant

Plated clasp comparison. - Noob RG

I have had ceramic coating on gold plated watches. It's not all that humid here in the UK, but none of them have any signs of tarnishing. Having said that, I have good cleaning habits. I clean and wipe down my watches after every day of use, especially if it's been a hot day. Here's a clasp that has been carefully cared for - worn perhaps once every 2 weeks since ~Feb '21 (1 year 4 months ago, at time of writing). Ceramic coated around the same time, cleaned after every use. Spotless condition.
z3srF8.jpg

Noob v2 Clasp - 2nd hand, arrived to me in this condition. This is how your plating could look like when improperly cared for.

z3sBAK.jpg

Liquid Skin

Given the ceramic coating route didn't actually provide much in the way of scratch resistance, I looked to thicker solutions such as Liquid Skin by The Watch Protect Company

This is an expensive solution, retailing at £129 (~$160).

I decided to test this on a link. First, I polished and cleaned it up:
z3slv1.jpg

After applying two layers of the solution, it ended up looking something like this. It's an incredibly thick and gooey liquid to work with, and as you can see, it's rather streaky and any dust can easily get trapped. I could probably have started again and done this neatly but for the purposes of testing its durability, I left it as it is.

You can definitely feel the thickness of this coating. The biggest detriment to using this is that it adds texture and dulls the surface.
z3sCzj.jpg

Here's how it looks after dishing out some punishment to it. I attacked it with screwdrivers (both lightly and forcibly) as well as rubbing it on wooden surfaces as well as metal surfaces. It resisted wooden surfaces decently well without visible change to the skin but metal surfaces definitely dulled the skin big time.
z3sPO4.jpg

I removed the coating with acetone to see how it looked like underneath. As you can see, most signs of damage remain but it looks like it has definitely protected the surface to a degree.
z3swpi.jpg

Closing thoughts:

The product definitely protects against light scuffs and micro marring. But is it worth the ugly aesthetic it adds to your watch?

Here's another application, comparing the aesthetic of Liquid skin versus nano coating. You can say I'm bad at applying it, but I will say it is incredibly difficult to apply evenly.
z3sEzt.jpg

At the end of the day, neither products protect against any deep scratches. You'll need protective stickers for that.

I highly recommended nano/ceramic coating your plated watches to protect against harsh chemicals. If you want to protect against micro marring, the prosumer products such as crystal serum light will aid the battle somewhat. I haven't used Crystal Serum Ultra, which is supposedly a much harder coat, but it is not available to consumers.

Regarding the liquid skin. It definitely works against the lighter impacts but given its ugly appearance, I decided to limit its use. I now only apply it to the link that makes contact with the edge of the clasp (as seen in photo above), seeing as that link is the most prone to being scratched by the edge of the clasp and is the least visible.

At the end of the day, as obvious as it sounds, the most effective option to protecting your watch is simply to learn to not smack it on things! Easier said than done but I've gradually learned to tuck my arm in when walking past a door frame or not resting my wrist on a metal table! Regarding plating. Ceramic coating will help you prevent tarnishing, especially if you're out all day but the most effective thing to do is to give it a nice wipe down after a sweaty day or avoid wearing a plated watch on a hot day at all!

This is awesome. However, IMHO just using a protective sticker is cheapest and easiest. I do not buy gold reps, but my gen YM RG has one of the better protective films and while it is lifting a bit I can tell that the clasp is getting absolutely zero scratches/wear (other than what I had when I originally put the film on)

You can get films from Amazon (on certain models) for around $10-15 or go all out and spend up to $100 for the better/thicker ones. They do not look so great up close in person, but if you can see it from 12 inches away, you would need to have some damn good eyesight.

Regardless information like you posted is ALWAYS welcome, as we have different strokes for different folks and I can see many people going for your method.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
i

At the end of the day, as obvious as it sounds, the most effective option to protecting your watch is simply to learn to not smack it on things!

The most effective thing to do is to give it a nice wipe down after a sweaty day or avoid wearing a plated watch on a hot day at all!

Really interesting summary of coatings, thanks a lot!

I hate scratches and when I bought my first Rolex in 1990 I pledged to keep it scratch free. At first it was a challenge, then it became an obsession. I keep an invisible bubble of about 5" around it that nothing enters but my hand or a shirt sleeve, etc. Eventually this became second nature and it was an easy transition to wearing reps. New looking and scratch free is my minimum standard, one that I can say is not that hard to achieve. Your two statements that I quoted describe how to do this very well.

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
25/2/21
This is awesome. However, IMHO just using a protective sticker is cheapest and easiest
I'd be worried about taking off some of the plating when removing the sticker. Perhaps a non issue?

I keep an invisible bubble of about 5" around it that nothing enters but my hand or a shirt sleeve, etc.

I think that's a good technique for keeping the watch safe. I consider myself quite fastidious about condition and like you say, found it easier than I initially thought to actually keep my watches looking new. Accidents do happen, but they can be substantially minimalized or mitigated with a little bit of self discipline.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Keishara Funny you say that. My uncle would always ask the customer do you walk with your hands if someone wanted their bracelets or watches re plated meaning it would be pointless because the tendency they have to ding their jewelry.

You have a 24/7 salt spray test living in the UK lol.

Some people don't like the e coats though because of the final finish feel and look to them. I don't understand why some think it's permanent too.