• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartier Tank Reference 9262

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Hi Friends,
I'm a big fan of the Cartier Tank Louis, but the solid gold ones are too expensive for me and the Must models are a total turn-off for me (had one 30 years ago). Recently I've come across a Tank in 925 Sterling Silver, Reference # 9262, from the 1950s, which I'm considering buying. I can't find anything about this watch.
Can you help?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Its French..that is the extent of my knowledge on them. 🤣

Its a nice vintage piece.

Reactions: Hesekiel

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
A Montreal watch dealer named Mke Nouveau on ticktok and IG seems to specialize in Cartier. Maybe reach out to him

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Thanks. I bought that watch for $500 shipped to my door. I have no doubt that it's a genuine 1940s to 1960s Cartier Tank. Funny enough, another seller just listed one on eBay for a BIN price of $2,100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225998201803

I'll have to find out what ETA heart with 17 jewels beats inside and then find a watchmaker who is able and willing to make it work again. Doesn't help that the pictures used on eBay are horrible.

The cosmetics I will do myself, but I won't want it to looks "like new" at all.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Reactions: 369mafia

freebalkany

24/8/21
I'm gonna go on a limb here, because I'm no cartier expert. But this does not look like a geniune Cartier tank to me.
The movement looks super cheap and does not have any decoration or signature. I believe it should be written Cartier or Jaeger on it.
From the eBay link, the case back engraving looks terrible too.

Hope that helps

Reactions: Stuvetjee

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Thanks, guys, I'm definitely not an expert n Cartier watches, but I know clearly more than that.

Early Cartier watches in the 1960s and earlier had no secret signature in the dial.

And, yes, the movement is definitely wrong. That's most apparent in the fact that the case has been opened up, crudely so, to accompany the tonnau-shaped wrong movement. At some point in time, my guess is the 1960s or early 1970s, the round, ETA-based 2512-1 had died and was replaced.

There's a reason why I was able to get this watch for cheap. The seller has a top notch reputations, and sells the most amazing high end watches and watch parts professionally. I have no idea how he finds them.

Keep in mind this watch comes from Caracas, Venezuela, in terms of resources not much better than Cuba, so, yes, the butchered the watch case to install a movement to just get it going. I will either find a clean ETA 2512-1 or follow the watchmaker's advice on how to proceed.

For kicks, here's another Cartier with a wrong, in this case Concord, movement:

This is clearly an old watch, dating, at the very least, to the late 1960s. Could it be a complete fake, done in solid 925 Sterling Silver? Sure, but it's highly unlikely. I'm sure it's a genuine watch, with a later in life opened up case to accompany a wrong movement because they couldn't get a replacement or it was too expensive for the owner.

Still, while I wait for the watch to arrive, I appreciate all comments, good or bad.

Niko1U

Horology Curious
25/1/21
Germany
To be honest, looking at these pictures it looks more like a watch that is similar to a tank and was converted to a Cartier. The crystal, the hands, the dial and the case look rough in comparison to what I have seen from other Cartier models, even older ones from the 60s etc.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
To be honest, looking at these pictures it looks more like a watch that is similar to a tank and was converted to a Cartier. The crystal, the hands, the dial and the case look rough in comparison to what I have seen from other Cartier models, even older ones from the 60s etc.
Hi Niko,
thanks for your feedback. Nothing is unimpossible, for sure.

I already found one watch with the same reference # though, in Bulgaria of all places, and being not exactly a newbee to replicas, I look at the perfect Cartier engraving on the back of the case and I'm having a hard time believing that this is not original engraving.

I'll await the watch, document and measure everything, clean it up, and then decide on how to proceed. I may source a similar, tonnau-shaped movement, or -- if I can figure out what to do with the widened case back -- a Piguet Caliber 21 or 9P which would be correct for a 1950s Cartier Tank.

I have no plans on selling the watch, ever.
In the 1970s, I bought two Must de Cartier watches brand new in tax-free Samnaun, Switzerland for my girfriend and me. If memory serves me, they cost around 700 Swiss Francs each, comparable to about $800 US. Today, a nice quartz powered 1970s or 1980s Must Tank costs still $1,250 to $1,850 and I'd never buy one because I hate, outright hate, gold-plated and gold-filled watches. When the plating wears off, it's like a ship wreck on the wrist! In contrast, a solid Sterling Silver Cartier tank really ticks my boxes, and given I love patina, this is a really a watch that speaks to me.

I'll keep y'all posted about this fun project.

Reactions: Niko1U

Niko1U

Horology Curious
25/1/21
Germany
Sure nothing is impossible. I'm watching the thread and I'm excited what you are going to do with the watch! I love a good project and it's nice to see more Cartier here in the vintage section!

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
First, thank you for allowing me to share my forensic journey into the mystery of this Cartier Tank 9262.

While the watch is now on its way from Caracas via Panama City to San Jose, Costa Rica, I tried to find anything that would help me in my quest. As I mentioned before, I found another, identical watch currently offered for sale on eBay. It appears to be an identical twin, with an identical movement, currently with a first bid of $600 and a BIN of $2,100.

The really odd thing for me was the tonnau-shaped movement and the corresponding case opening of this Cartier. As it is well known, up to the late 1960s Cartier used movements from EWC, Jaeger Le Coultre, and Piaget, among others. Good news is that *almost* all of these movements are available today used, some pricier that others. But they are all round!

Then I found a vintage square watch from Hermes, Paris, for sale! This watch has several watchmaker’s service inscriptions from 1964 up to 1990 in it, dating it as an early 1960s (most likely 1963) watch.

Hermes Paris and Cartier Paris were closely linked in the 1960s, so finding a contemporary Hermes watch with an also tonnau shaped movement and the same case opening was exciting to me!

Note: the tonnau-shaped opening of this watch matches the one on the Cartier. Keep in mind that what we see under magnification on the computer screen is tiny in real life. The movement diameter is about 17mm, which is frankly mind-boggling!

To be continued . . .

Reactions: Karbon74