• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartel 1675 GMT build for TxRob779 - PIC HEAVY!!!

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
This is the start of the build I'm doing for Rob. There is a whole different thread on the case details if you want to read more about that go here: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/1675-pros-please-103861

In a nut shell - Cartel 1655 case that came as a 1675 model.
Work will include: Dial refinish, Relume, Clark Bezel swap, Gen like insert swap(will age this), Clark crystal, Cg shaped like Gen(square style), SB holes drilled for 2mm SB, Gen caseback gasket, possible Gen crown/tube swap(waiting on parts), oil movement 2836GMT, center DWO, age case/band, lube band, lube seals, pressure test for WR.

1675 GMT dissected
2ece0455.jpg

Dial refinished with aged matte finish(really bad lighting on this one)
RickiPhonePics010.jpg

Relume markers(still wet)
RickiPhonePics014.jpg

relume hands(still wet)
RickiPhonePics015.jpg

Dial
RickiPhonePics031.jpg

lume shot (yes i know its a lot better than it should be for the age :) )
RickiPhonePics032.jpg

RickiPhonePics033.jpg

Aged insert work (backing soda and bleach and a little elbow grease was used this time)
RickiPhonePics036.jpg

New WSO insert for comparison
RickiPhonePics039.jpg

Quick mock up for Rob's QC. (If he wants ill yellow the lume more, and possible dial(i like it this way though, just my 2 cent)
RickiPhonePics040.jpg

Stay tuned for more to come!!!
Do give em your honest input, It only makes me better!
Thanks RWI!!!

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Hell of a job How :thumbsup: - this is so very hard to do properly guys..:popcorn:waiting for the rest then :)

Thank you Co-Axial, Rob, and TB! I used a combination of 3 lumes and 2 different binders to make the dots. Vintage, Ivory, and Col's very own G102. The brightness is from Col's lume.
I'm also working on a lume comparison thread, which hope to have done soon.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
What did you use as a base for the lumed markers Rick? Kinda looks like they are floating a wee bit above the dial.

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Excellent work so far... really interested to see how it all turns out, looks like it'll be a real beauty!

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
What did you use as a base for the lumed markers Rick? Kinda looks like they are floating a wee bit above the dial.
The lume is on the markers that came on the dial. Think it might also be i have horrible photo lighting on the bench. Ill take it outside today and get a better shot.

eduardor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
21/10/11
Very nice Rick! Those puffy lume dots look great!

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
This looks great, interested to see what it looks like when it is finished :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Sorry, again I have to be the jerk on the forum who disagrees. It's nice to be positive when someone puts an effort into something but I feel this only does a disservice to those who are looking for a reference of accuracy. Although the lume is shaped nicely, the application to the dial is terrible. If they were applied BEFORE the texture (which I'm never a fan of because it's so rare to see one that doesn't look like varnish splatter) they might have had a chance of looking like they were applied directly to the dial. As it is, the dial is ruined IMHO.

Gen photos for reference:

jocke_gmt1675.jpg

w846lz.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

1675dialrelumedall.jpg

Well, maybe not ruined. Just remove the lume markers and apply less lume directly to the dial. No need to go with waaaay too much.

Bigjule111

Renowned Member
1/3/11
Nj
Thinkbachs. I had the same dial that came with the josh 1:1. I believe the indices look thick like that from stock. Probably just a hair thinner. That's one of the biggest fault with the dial. The indices pop in dial unlike the gen

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I just can't seem to find any gen dials that look like it. :(

d111271.jpg

28KGrHqN21n8E-29Tr2121UBPtyw1PP8Q7E7E60_12.jpg

28KGrHqZHJBYE-hOp29sLDBPt7KJ28JQw7E7E60_12.jpg

28KGrHqVHJFYE916-2RLnBPowdl28TM60_3.jpg

28KGrHqJoE9c7bl4yvBPm5un129iQ60_3.jpg

28KGrHqRpE9dSgTitRBPcbmg7MkQ60_57.jpg

28KGrHqRlgE9rN2928vgOBPtZqyN7r60_57.jpg

The lume also seems to be very matte to me. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough to find the right dial.

I know to some it might seem like I'm trying to be a jerk but I'm really not- honest.

The OP dial, just to save time scrolling up for comparison...

RickiPhonePics031.jpg

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Sorry, again I have to be the jerk on the forum who disagrees.
Well, maybe not ruined. Just remove the lume markers and apply less lume directly to the dial. No need to go with waaaay too much.

LOL, no offense taken here TB, your not a jerk. I feel this is a learning experience and take all advise evenly, i was in the military long enough to grow thick skin ;)
With that said. I did look at the dial again this morning, and when i got to the office i was looking at Gen pics cause it didnt look quite right IMO either. Your right, they do look too high. Reason i was looking was i think the hieght WITH the indices will be too high to clear the 24hr hand. Since the dial didnt come with painted lume like most 1680/Mil type dials i went back with the indices. I was thinking of removing them, removing the lume, sanding the indices down flat and very thin, and then reluming those. To give them a flatter profile, will most likely install the indices to the dial and then applying the lume. To give a painted to dial look. Thank you for your input, it really is appreciated!!!

Rick

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I am no lume expert but based on reading posts from others who are I wonder if using a thinner base with the lume would help it to spread and dry a little thinner/flatter?

Thanks for not taking it the wrong way, it means a lot to me.

no_one

5/4/08
Not trying to be a jerk either, but save the trouble & just go with a Yuki dial.

The best you could do with that dial is just lose the markers & lume directly on the dial.

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
Rick, I should have mentioned to you the dial markers and how they were installed as opposed to being applied directly to the dial.

If you plan to use this dial I would advise you bond the hell out of them or they will fall out of the pin holes they are slid into.

If you could apply the lume directly to the dial you me get the results you want, or mabye Rob will like the dial as is. I can tell you that the handstack on that 2836 has very little room to spare above the dial so it is possible the gmt hand can get stuck.

I like to see the progress here, I hope mine is coming along as well.

Can't wait to see the final product, I know Rob will be stoked.