• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cannon Pin Fix

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Just wondering how difficult it is to do a cannon pin fix on a Pam Asian Unitas 6497 Manual Winding 17J. I'm not going to do it myself, I'm going to have a watch smith do it. I'm not looking for too many specifics but basically do you... remove the hands, remove the dial and fix it from that direction? What basically is involved? I'm not wanting to spend too much money.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
doctorron

once you have the parts it is easy, and pete 2528ca recently gave some details on how to do this, in words that were better than I could use to describe:

"the hour wheel and cannon pin sit under the dial. it is fairly easy mod, especially if you are changing a dial anyway.

the hour wheel basically falls off if there is no dial in place. to remove the cannon pin however, you must remove the plate over the keyless works and remove the gear closest to the cannon pin. just be careful not to unlatch the v spring in the keyless works because it is a beeotch to put back. then once the gear is out, i put the plate back on to hold the keyless works snug as a bug, and use a hand remover to lift out the cannon pin. you should feel a slight pop. then push on the new one, again hearing a click, and reverse the keyless works part. slide on the hour wheel, put on the dial and then "Bob is your fathers brother."

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44749&p=394895&hilit=cannon+pin#p394895

Vacuum's tutorial on RWG is definitive, but you need some extra details above from pete

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?sho ... &hl=cannon

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Jurgenk said:
doctorron

once you have the parts it is easy, and pete 2528ca recently gave some details on how to do this, in words that were better than I could use to describe:

"the hour wheel and cannon pin sit under the dial. it is fairly easy mod, especially if you are changing a dial anyway.

the hour wheel basically falls off if there is no dial in place. to remove the cannon pin however, you must remove the plate over the keyless works and remove the gear closest to the cannon pin. just be careful not to unlatch the v spring in the keyless works because it is a beeotch to put back. then once the gear is out, i put the plate back on to hold the keyless works snug as a bug, and use a hand remover to lift out the cannon pin. you should feel a slight pop. then push on the new one, again hearing a click, and reverse the keyless works part. slide on the hour wheel, put on the dial and then "Bob is your fathers brother."

http://replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewto ... in#p394895

Vacuum's tutorial on RWG is definitive, but you need some extra details above from pete

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?sho ... &hl=cannon

Thanks guys. Great info. So the old hands should fit the new pin?

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
Yes the old hands will fit but you will have to file the backs down to get them flush with the cannon pinion.
just fitting the pinion will do nothing to make them flush just further away from the dial.

If the watch is a model without the seconds at 9 then buying a H3 cannon is a waste of money and the original cannon will do .

If it's a model with the seconds at 9 or a sandwich dial that has been relumed then a H3 cannon and hour gear is needed to clear the second hand otherwise if you press the second hand down too much it will catch and cause drag and may damage your dial as well as making regulating the time keeping impossible.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Once again good info. You know whenever I click the Pete link provided words are blocked out. I guess its highlighted or something but I can't read it.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
There are a couple tutorials on another board but they leave some things out. # 1 Make sure your watch guy removes the minute wheel. That way when he snaps the new pin on he won't damage any of the gears from the minute wheel being left on...The hour hand should fit OK but the minute hand will need to be shortened to sit nice and flush.

You can pull the short pin off with pliers but ideally the Presto #2 canon pin and hand pullers are best.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
cybee said:
There are a couple tutorials on another board but they leave some things out. # 1 Make sure your watch guy removes the minute wheel. That way when he snaps the new pin on he won't damage any of the gears from the minute wheel being left on...The hour hand should fit OK but the minute hand will need to be shortened to sit nice and flush.

You can pull the short pin off with pliers but ideally the Presto #2 canon pin and hand pullers are best.

Gotcha! Thanks.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
Time4Direct said:
Yes the old hands will fit but you will have to file the backs down to get them flush with the cannon pinion.
just fitting the pinion will do nothing to make them flush just further away from the dial.

If the watch is a model without the seconds at 9 then buying a H3 cannon is a waste of money and the original cannon will do .

If it's a model with the seconds at 9 or a sandwich dial that has been relumed then a H3 cannon and hour gear is needed to clear the second hand otherwise if you press the second hand down too much it will catch and cause drag and may damage your dial as well as making regulating the time keeping impossible.

This is the exact watch. http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_48&products_id=833

This is the exact cannon pin: http://replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45200

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Is T4D saying that the set Brtelec is selling will not work on that watch?

The watch I am fixing has seconds at 9 so the H3 should work.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
cybee said:

I don't know if that's what he means or not. Please know Cybee that if it appears it won't work for my watch I will have Brtelec to send it directly to you.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
doctorron said:
cybee said:

I don't know if that's what he means or not. Please know Cybee that if it appears it won't work for my watch I will have Brtelec to send it directly to you.

Thanks Doc..but I hope it does work for you, I am really not sure why it wouldn't.

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
cybee said:
doctorron said:
cybee said:

Thanks Doc..but I hope it does work for you, I am really not sure why it wouldn't.

Yes, I'm thinking it will and Brtelec knows the watch and he too thinks it will work. Okay with me either way.