• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can I install 2824 into a genuine rolex datejust case?

champagnesky

28/10/12
On a stick dial yes, you'll have to set the hour hand tilting up slightly to clear the indices.

thx for the reply, not a biggie to fix then. Btw tripdog, you are in the know, have you any idea if the models for the 3d printed tools for dwo and dial feet were available for downloading?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
thx for the reply, not a biggie to fix then. Btw tripdog, you are in the know, have you any idea if the models for the 3d printed tools for dwo and dial feet were available for downloading?

No, sorry, don't know if you can download the models.

Paj1985

Looking Around
10/8/19
Hi newbie here ????????

Does anybody know a watchmaker that can fit a genuine eta or equivalent to a datejust36? The Asian movement is awfully temperamental and I would love a workhorse in there. Thanks chaps

Emjaykay

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/10/15
Here is one I built. All gen but he movement. I used a ETA 2824. You can use raffles movement ring to secure the movement to the gen case and extended post hands so you don’t have to do the H4 mod

Pelagic Could you please confirm which DWO you used to fit the gen Datejust dial? I am about to do the exact same project with a 1600 case & pie pan dial.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Pelagic Could you please confirm which DWO you used to fit the gen Datejust dial? I am about to do the exact same project with a 1600 case & pie pan dial.

Why not put a gen dw? Not too steep in price for a DJ and can’t be bettered

Emjaykay

31/10/15

Am fitting a 2824 to a gen 1600 case and dial. As far as I know, the Rolex 1570 movement date wheel doesn’t fit the eta 2824.

Emjaykay

31/10/15
cant it be overlayed?

do you mean use the 1570 date disc as the overlay? Glue it to the top of the 2824 date disc? That’s a great suggestion...I haven’t done this before and had always just kind of assumed that the overlays would be just that - very very thin printed plastic. If the Rolex date disc is as thin as the overlay that could be an option. I have done a fair bit of research and with the 2824, raffles spacer, dial spacer, overlay, and 1600 Datejust pie pan dial there is only just enough room.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
do you mean use the 1570 date disc as the overlay? Glue it to the top of the 2824 date disc? That’s a great suggestion...I haven’t done this before and had always just kind of assumed that the overlays would be just that - very very thin printed plastic. If the Rolex date disc is as thin as the overlay that could be an option. I have done a fair bit of research and with the 2824, raffles spacer, dial spacer, overlay, and 1600 Datejust pie pan dial there is only just enough room.

Yes, that's what I mean. (Not easy to make it line up I understand but a good watchsmith can do it).

I've planned it on one of my builds which is based on an ETA2836 which won't take the gen date wheel. Of course, as you stated, you have to make sure it´s possible and there is room for making it fit but it's worth researching, especially in a build like yours with many gen parts already :) It was just an idea to research further.

I look forward to seeing your build, it sounds fantastic!

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19

Emjaykay

If you put a genuine 1570 date wheel on an ETA 2824/2836, the dates will count down rather than up because the date wheel advances counterclockwise on a 1570 movement and clockwise on an ETA 2824/2836:
ZU1oeS.jpg

Last edited: