• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying, selling, avoiding scams and safe dealing

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
excellent info. Wish I had this a few weeks ago when I made my first buy...which BTW went smooth.

icecream

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/10
any tips on how to package a watch that will be shipped internationally?

n3tph4t

3/12/12
IMHO as any TD would...plastic bag, then bubble wrap and well packed into a small corrugated cardboard box very well taped up with parcel tape.

I'll write something to update the post with re packaging

Sent from my L96A1 using a 7.62mm round

Motoman4540

24/2/13
I would add a few words of advice from a noob to other noobs:

1. You are buying a replica of a watch that may cost thousands to $100K+ if genuine. There is a reason that your rep is $600 and the gen is $75K, and it isn't "marketing expenses and advertising." A rep will have flaws, maybe small, maybe large. Decide up front whether you are the type of person that will freak out about whether the date window on your new AP is to close to the tachy ring or whether you need to have it serviced for $250 at some point.

2. A rep is made somewhere in Guangzhou, probably, by low paid Chinese workers. Quality control on a complex watch like an A7750 is not going to be perfect. You aren't buying from Amazon. Small things can be fixed for less than it costs to send back to China, wait, and finally get it back 3 months later. See what your Trusted Dealer wants you to do (you did buy from a TD, right?). Don't freak out. Work it out with the TD, then the Mods if necessary.

3. The TD's get a bunch of email every day. It's reasonable to expect a response within 24-48 hours if you haven't bought yet -- if you don't get a response, go to another TD. If you have bought, patience is a virtue. They don't have warehouse fulfillment and instant shipping like Amazon. They are going to take care of you.

4. After you have bought, it is definitely fair to expect a reasonable response to a substantive question, but not, "when are you sending it," "when will it get here," or other types of questions that have been answered many times here, such as what "turned over to customs" means, etc. Don't email a TD every hour, getting more and more irritated. There is a time difference, a lot of email, and that takes time. So even if you have bought and are waiting for QC pics, take a deep breath and chill for 72 hours before asking for status. They are TD's here for a reason . . . they generally take care of forum members.

5. Develop a relationship with a TD, so that he knows who you are. A TD that knows who you are is much more likely to help you quickly. My only experience has been with Ryan, Andrew and Joshua, and I can highly recommend them for getting back to me within 24 hours and usually significantly less.

n3tph4t

3/12/12
You're welcome, if anyone reads this and likes it then please acknowledge that by clicking the weighing scales under my posts. this adds to my reputation which is helpful.

If you don't find it useful then please let me know what's missing.

Thanks
N3

n3tph4t

3/12/12
I've been away for a little while. I'm doing an update to this and so if anything is no longer applicable would you let em know?
Thanks
N3

edm911

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/10/14
I'm am concerned about where to get my first rep. I am looking for a 5015 fifty fathoms. What TD should I get it from? Should I contact through their website or here? How do I go about the purchase?

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
I'm am concerned about where to get my first rep. I am looking for a 5015 fifty fathoms. What TD should I get it from? Should I contact through their website or here? How do I go about the purchase?

Read different dealer sections. Once you read their reviews and decide which one you want to go with, figure out their preferred method of communication by reading their stickies. Boom.