• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying for friends & relatives?

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Yeah. Much better idea.

if you trust him enough to say outright it’s a rep, then he is close enough for you to give a 900 watch

It’s a totally different take on sending him to a TD out of the blue.

And if people ask him he can proudly say « my stepson gave it to me »
Yeah, only Ive done this before, I bought him an Omega PO a few years ago and it shit itself, so I ended up paying a watchsmith to fix it and he completely ruined it so it went in the bin. So I gave him my PO and after 7 years he’s still wearing it! So I feel I’ve done enough there already…

Reactions: Karbon74

Hagus

Known Member
Patron
Certified
31/5/13
York uk
I tell any friend or family the truth about my watches Without hesitation! Referred a couple to ad’s bought for others, all good, a grown up understands risk.

Lagunax

I'm Pretty Popular
18/4/15
CONUS
My well off neighbor saw a pic of a Belkin Slytech he wanted. He’s treated me out enough times and vice versa where the $600 wasn’t a problem and he knew it could get lost in customs. So depends who you are dealing with. End of story it arrived safely and I almost kept it for myself and was going to refund his Venmo LOL. But I actually ordered another for myself that arrived safely too.

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
My family knows I have reps but as far as the general public goes,no one notices or comments about my watches. People don't care and that's fine with me

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I only buy for 3 people. My S.O, and my parents. The rest, I point to RWI and help them along the way. And I explain to them what to expect and what model they should get.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
The rest, I point to RWI

The other important thing which may or may not be needed, (is in some folks families and friend circles), is to tell some of the F+F "DO NOT MENTION MY FUCKIN' NAME UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" :ROFLMAO:

I mean, there are some fuckin stupid ones about within the younger generations (grandchildren), and I have very good relationships with sellers and members here, so I don't want them starting disputes with TD's, M2M cos the watch didn't arrive the day before they bought it etc etc etc.

Also don't really want the inevitable comments to my family about how much did he spend last month on watches, Mel and I have our own money as well as joint, and we get to spend it on what we like :)
We were both married to other spouses 25 years ago neither of us want our business bandied around the huge family some of whom are not the nicest of characters ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jossé and Reaps

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
It would appear I'm in the minority, I've bought watches, here, M2M for friends, and I've sold them for them too though I accepted 100% that was on me. It's effectively my watch.

It's not complex;
Can you get xxxx?
Yes, here are the pics, if you want it? No comebacks, if I buy you owe me £xxx.
Cheers mate, you want PayPal or cash?

If the "friend/relative" is worth their salt that's it, if not, f&#k them, they're not your friend.