• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying for friends & relatives?

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Ok Guys, so a new thread… I’ve been posed with a question and not entirely sure how to deal with it and answers are as always greatfully received..
So I’m sitting, playing chess with my stepdad and he says “Nice watch, what is it?” And I say “It’s a rep” he says “where from?” I say “China” He says “How much?” I say ”$900” he says “Get me one”….
Now, to me, this is where it gets tricky… 1. He really doesn’t know what Watch he wants… 2. If I order it I’m taking postal difficulties, ie customs, loss etc. I don’t want to be responsible for his lost watch. My wife says send him here and let him work it out but I’m not sure that would work?
Anyone have a similar experience, advice would be appreciated?.

• Wow
Reactions: Dave2302

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Ok Guys, so a new thread… I’ve been posed with a question and not entirely sure how to deal with it and answers are as always greatfully received..
So I’m sitting, playing chess with my stepdad and he says “Nice watch, what is it?” And I say “It’s a rep” he says “where from?” I say “China” He says “How much?” I say ”$900” he says “Get me one”….
Now, to me, this is where it gets tricky… 1. He really doesn’t know what Watch he wants… 2. If I order it I’m taking postal difficulties, ie customs, loss etc. I don’t want to be responsible for his lost watch. My wife says send him here and let him work it out but I’m not sure that would work?
I agree with your wife, send him here straight to TDs section. Let him browse around their online catalogues and order the watch himself.

domiffm

buffalo is sick
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
I never do that, I never order for anyone. Not even when it comes to friends, family or even forum users. I'm happy to explain the process and how everything works, but then they can order themselves.

I have no desire to do QC for others, messages back and forth, take the risk of customs, blah blah.... You name it.

Then the watch breaks (either because it has a factory issue or, most likely, because the new user has no idea how to use it), has to go to the watchmaker. Then complaints about further costs etc.. NOPE

The only exception: If my wife wants a new watch, I order for her.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I never do that, I never order for anyone. Not even when it comes to friends, family or even forum users. I'm happy to explain the process and how everything works, but then they can order themselves.

I have no desire to do QC for others, messages back and forth, take the risk of customs, blah blah.... You name it.

Then the watch breaks (either because it has a factory issue or, most likely, because the new user has no idea how to use it), has to go to the watchmaker. Then complaints about further costs etc.. NOPE

The only exception: If my wife wants a new watch, I order for her.

Exactly this, been there got the tee in the 2000's years, never again.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The closest I got to buying a rep for a friend involved me checking with a fave TD whether a rep was available, then put the friend in touch with the TD to take it from there. At least that ensured they got hooked up with someone I knew they could trust.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I can't imagine any situation in my life where I would say "it's a rep," unless, perhaps, I'm in a foreign country on vacation and look into the barrel of a gun, and even then I'd probably rather hand over my watch . . .

Sometimes, we create our own problems, don't we?

If I wear a nice watch, and somebody compliments me on it and says "nice watch, what is it?" I respond with thank you, it's an Omega, Tudor, Breitling, Seiko, whatever it is and that ends the discussion. If the follow-up response relates to the value, I usually respond with "I bought it used, cheap."
End of story.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
You should have given the watch you were wearing and buy a new one for yourself. What a great gesture! :D

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
You should have given the watch you were wearing and buy a new one for yourself. What a great gesture! :D

Yeah. Much better idea.

if you trust him enough to say outright it’s a rep, then he is close enough for you to give a 900 watch

It’s a totally different take on sending him to a TD out of the blue.

And if people ask him he can proudly say « my stepson gave it to me »

Jossé

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
It's your stepfather, I don't see the problem with explaining to him the process and the risks such a purchase entails.
He must be willing to run the same risk as you do when you buy for yourself, if he is - help him out.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
I don't see the problem

I do ;) Mels son, has been on ever since I joined here asking me about watches etc, I gave him a link to Steves site, at first he was looking at Navitimer, then something else, there has been about 50 different choices so far and not one trigger pulled.

I know for a fact he wants one for all the wrong reasons, i.e. to impress his colleagues / keep up with his boss, and we all know how that's gonna end.

Mel understands and agrees with me, and I still love him as if he was my own, he's a great young man (30's) but never do business with family or friends there will almost always be some form of issue.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I do ;) Mels son, has been on ever since I joined here asking me about watches etc, I gave him a link to Steves site, at first he was looking at Navitimer, then something else, there has been about 50 different choices so far and not one trigger pulled.

I know for a fact he wants one for all the wrong reasons, i.e. to impress his colleagues / keep up with his boss, and we all know how that's gonna end.

Mel understands and agrees with me, and I still love him as if he was my own, he's a great young man (30's) but never do business with family or friends there will almost always be some form of issue.

Give the young fellow a nice modded 5513 or 1016.

He can then also say that it’s a gift from his old geezer stepdad.
« Look at that old thing. This must be as old as him »

Jossé

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
Hehe! I understand your argument, but I can't agree 😅 I have help my brother a couple of times. I already spend a lot of time on here doing the legwork, why would I not help him out when he needs it? Its family, some nagging I can tolerate :cool:

j-unit139

Supporter
Certified
12/3/23
GER🇩🇪 / CH🇨🇭
I slipped into the same situation with friends two times. I don't see an effort in time (they usually tend towards popular and we'll available reps so it's easy for me to add it to a order I would do anyway. Also I don't see a custom risk (as TD covers the costs and my rep is in the shipping anyway). I never order them a watch alone. But I'm always clear about two things:
- When it arrives with a defect, it's up to them to cover costs of repair (I would never order exotic movements, only easy stuff like A28XX, VS3135, ...).
- When they start to wear the watch they are covering any risks, even the movement being completely dead. At the end it's not very different to a cheapy they would may buy in there holidays: you buy it, you bear the risk.

So I only assist when I know in advance that they understand it. Those are good friends with interest in watches and even a capital damage is not a world to them. For all others, I don't even loose a word about reps.

Reactions: Jossé and SubNot

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
I don't see the issue, I once bought one rep for a friend, we placed the order together and put his address, he understood the risks and went for it anyways (after all like any of us at the beginning). All went well (like all my orders with the TDs), I would do it again no problem with close friends and family, as long as they are 100% clear with the risks and all that follows in buying a rep watch. I think it all depends on the relationship you have with this person, if you are close and you trust each other you shouldn't even consider it a problem, but you'll never know I guess 😅

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
I have already ordered a watch for so, but there was an insurance with an agent 🐼...

Reactions: Dave2302

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
If you like him give him a clean or vsf watch. If you don’t then give him a $100 shitter. Never get into a situation with your pa-in-law over $900 stinking bucks.

Reactions: Lagunax

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I can't imagine any situation in my life where I would say "it's a rep," unless, perhaps, I'm in a foreign country on vacation and look into the barrel of a gun, and even then I'd probably rather hand over my watch . . .

Sometimes, we create our own problems, don't we?

If I wear a nice watch, and somebody compliments me on it and says "nice watch, what is it?" I respond with thank you, it's an Omega, Tudor, Breitling, Seiko, whatever it is and that ends the discussion. If the follow-up response relates to the value, I usually respond with "I bought it used, cheap."
End of story.
Ahh, well now we are getting into a whole new argument and there has been a lot said on this subject on the forum. Personally I would not lie to my close friends and family so there is no way I’m saying it’s a Gen. Outside of this people can think wtf they like… I don’t give a s**t. Also I have a Gen Sub so it’s a bit odd to have two! 🤣 Well on my budget it is!