• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build Thread: Milsub 5517

zkramez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/20
Thread is to document the build of my 5517 milsub. The goal is to get as close to perfect as possible with no expense spared on parts.
I have decided to start with a Phong case. That should be on its way in the next week or 2.
I have reached out to several other people for their take on building the perfect most accurate milsub.

Here is what we determined...
1. Case: Phong with custom markings and modded with a genuine 702 tube and crown (I am aware 703 is more waterproof but I care more about looks and accuracy).
2. Bezel Insert: Crown Art Customs.
3. Crystal: Genuine T19 crystal.
4. Movement: Genuine cal. 1520.
5. Hands: Omega genuine sword hands.

6. Dial: I am still figuring this out. I have heard to use MQ or Ivan. I am open to suggestions though. The dial is arguably the most important part of this entire build.
I am open to all suggestions

Stay tuned...

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
Will be following this one with interest! Let me know if/when you need the hook-up on the blistered T19 and 7020+702!

Have you made sure Phong won't mod the case for a 703?

Would be interested in your thoughts on dials, when you have looked at a few!

Lots of pics, please :D

zkramez

12/12/20
Will be following this one with interest! Let me know if/when you need the hook-up on the blistered T19 and 7020+702!

Have you made sure Phong won't mod the case for a 703?

Would be interested in your thoughts on dials, when you have looked at a few!

Lots of pics, please :D
I did message him to keep it 702. If he forgets and ships it with 703, is that reversible? Or is the hole bigger and can't be fixed.

zkramez

12/12/20
@Singapore9 So far I have only seen the Phong Dial and the MQ one. Both look identical if I am being honest. They also are not that great in accuracy. I am waiting for samples from Ivan. Hopefully his are a lot better. They cost more than double the price of MQ so I hope so haha

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
I did message him to keep it 702. If he forgets and ships it with 703, is that reversible? Or is the hole bigger and can't be fixed.
Actually, I may be confusing myself here... It's the 7000 tube that isn't countersunk, 7020 and 7030 swap should be interchangeable?!

Would be good if someone else can confirm! Gone back through a search and finding a conflicting reports on the case side countersink/tube bevel.

Sent you some links by PM!

Last edited:

zkramez

12/12/20
Here are the QC pics from Phong.

Engravings are 7.5/10. Not bad but not perfect. Definitely the best I’ve seen aftermarket.

Shape of the case is ehhhhhhhh 6/10. For the price you pay for these things it should be a lot better.

I will say though it is the best you can get at the time of this post.

Ruby unfortunately was replaced with someone new and I found MQ case engravings to be less superior to Phong. They all use the same case supplier anyway based on the research from other posts.

Phong gets a bad rep these days however… my experience so far has been great. He was super responsive and we spent about 5 hours together trying to perfect the custom engravings. Unfortunately we couldn’t get it 100% but the fact that he truly tried really impressed me.

I read many posts about him being lazy. That was not my experience at all.

Check out the QC photos and let me know what you think!

zkramez

12/12/20
Here are the QC pics from Phong.

Engravings are 7.5/10. Not bad but not perfect. Definitely the best I’ve seen aftermarket.

Shape of the case is ehhhhhhhh 6/10. For the price you pay for these things it should be a lot better.

I will say though it is the best you can get at the time of this post.

Ruby unfortunately was replaced with someone new and I found MQ case engravings to be less superior to Phong. They all use the same case supplier anyway based on the research from other posts.

Phong gets a bad rep these days however… my experience so far has been great. He was super responsive and we spent about 5 hours together trying to perfect the custom engravings. Unfortunately we couldn’t get it 100% but the fact that he truly tried really impressed me.

I read many posts about him being lazy. That was not my experience at all.

Check out the QC photos and let me know what you think!

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
I'm no Milsub expert so won't comment beyond saying it looks good, either way!

Does Phong use a pantograph for the engraving?

Other slightly odd question perhaps but it was Phong and not Jensen doing the work? I thought I read that Phong had retired and handed over.

Seems a shame that we are losing the artisan case makers, seemingly, because 6-digits seem to be so good out of the box.

Reactions: zkramez

zkramez

12/12/20
I'm no Milsub expert so won't comment beyond saying it looks good, either way!

Does Phong use a pantograph for the engraving?

Other slightly odd question perhaps but it was Phong and not Jensen doing the work? I thought I read that Phong had retired and handed over.

Seems a shame that we are losing the artisan case makers, seemingly, because 6-digits seem to be so good out of the box.
To my understanding it is still Phong but don’t quote me on that. I have no clue how they do it but I think they did a really nice job. I got the movement today too. I’m hype.

Reactions: Singapore9

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
You are moving fast! Great to see! If CAC's dials are so good, just get the feet moved?

zkramez

12/12/20
You are moving fast! Great to see! If CAC's dials are so good, just get the feet moved?
That is an option but I still want to see what else is out there. Like you said, I’ve been moving fast. I need to slow it down. Got too excited 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Singapore9

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
I have 5 dials for one 9411 project, must be getting on for 10 plexis, a handful of inserts, etc. I don't think we do these things because they're cheap or easy :ROFLMAO:

zkramez

12/12/20
Big update on the build progress...

I have sourced a genuine non serif dial. The dial is currently at a dial maker getting restored and they are adding the Milsub T logo. When it is done and in my possession I will upload high resolution photos.

This was not cheap by any means but again... I am building the most accurate Milsub. It has to be perfect.

SwiSmade

26/5/16
Big update on the build progress...

I have sourced a genuine non serif dial. The dial is currently at a dial maker getting restored and they are adding the Milsub T logo. When it is done and in my possession I will upload high resolution photos.

This was not cheap by any means but again... I am building the most accurate Milsub. It has to be perfect.
Awesome. Really looking forward to see it

Reactions: zkramez