• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Magic Light Mini Review

UB7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/07
A couple of people have asked me to write a review on my black magic light, i'm no By-Tor or Pugwash, in fact this is my first watch i've ever really "reviewed", so please bare with me..Well, what is there to say about this watch..The HBB reps are some of the best around, people fray away from it because of the expensive price tag but once you hold one in your hands you see what these things are all about. Here's my Black Magic "Light", upgraded with a polished ceramic bezel. It comes stock with the brushed PVD bezel and most will agree that it looks great as is, but unfortunately the genuine article comes with a polished ceramic bezel. So for the sake of accuracy, I decided to go for the ceramic bezel from Angus.

GEN:
gen.jpg

REP:
magicre2.jpg

bbrev4.jpg

magic2.jpg

The construction of the watch is quite remarkable. The rep factories obviously put a lot of time and work into getting this one right. And boy did they hit a home run, even JCB himself has said on TZ that some of our trusted dealers were using pics of gens, when in fact we all know they are reps..Yes, they are that good. The quality and build of the watch is undeniable.

Again, on mine I have opt'd to go for the ceramic bezel, and it is also equipped with a genuine flat strap, as opposed to the tire tread strap that it comes stock with. Many of us with HBB's already know that the clasp has proven to be somewhat problematic for people with small wrists, the clasp ends up digging into your wrist. Personally, I have a very small wrist and have figured out a way to remedy this. You need an H screwdriver, take the half of the strap with the holes in it and put it on top @ the 12 lugs, and put the part of the strap connected to the clasp on the bottom @ the 6 lugs, this has fixed the problem for many members.

bbrev2.jpg

The case is a mixture of brushed, and polished PVD (or ALDC?) Not exactly sure what the polished parts are. And the stock bezel is brushed PVD. Overall, great construction and definitely has the feel and look of the gen. When considering this watch, you must take into account that the real thing can run you 8-20k depending on what model you want. So for well under 1000, you can have an amazing replica.

bmbx2.jpg

bbrev5.jpg

The datewheel on the black magic light is black on mine, and when you order a genuine you have the option of choosing a white or black dw, so that is faithful to the gen. Another reason why people fray away from this watch is because they think it's big. I personally think it wears smaller than a 44m PAM, why? Well thats easy, because the panerai's are much thicker and the design of the HBB is much slimmer. Also the way the lugs are set up, integrated into the rubber bracelet gives the HBB a smaller appearance. I have a 6 1/2" wrist and it doesn't look overly big.

bmwrist2.jpg

As you can see, the design of the case gives the watch a very slim and sleek appearance

bbrev3.jpg

bbrev1.jpg

As a rep, this watch is incredibly accurate. This is one of those watches that you can wear without fear of getting called out, they really are that good..If you are worried about the price, you can always go for the "Light" version and upgrade to a ceramic bezel down the road. Also the light version lacks the AR that the more expensive version comes with, but that can easily be fixed by one of our AR experts..Hope this mini review has helped people make a decision!

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Nice job. I know what you mean about having to just handle one to understand the appeal.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Great job on the review, HB7. We definitely need more HBB reviews. Moving this to the Watch Reviews section!

UB7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/07
The crystal on mine is stock, no AR on it...I have my PVD lite coming home from k2222 w/ some double AR and I might swap the crystal to this watch, but untill than this watch remains AR'less

dooley110

Horology Curious
25/1/08
Great review :D :D and definitely a beautiful watch. Would love to get one if I can afford it. :( :( .Who's the dealer,btw?

dooley

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I just ordered the RG Tuiga, but that one will be my next.