• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bezel removal on seiko

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Bro for the GMT bezel take a look at my bezel removal guide.

So try the 4 blade tool on both first, use a wedge if needed then a case knife. If none of that works you can move on to the more aggressive tactics.

juENo.jpg

Here comes the saviour, thank you for the detailed guide bro. Much appreciated. I’ll order the 4 jaws tool and some blades right now. I’ve read your write up first thing haha.

For the heat if needed does the normal kitchen oven work or do i need a blow torch kind of thing?

Also do you happen to know if the Chinese Horotec rep tools will take genuine Horotec addons? Like i was thinking to order the genuine 4 jaws add on for the tool I have but don’t know if they will fit

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bezel-jaws-for-bezel-case-back-remover-horotec

Got so disappointed that i couldn’t even do a Simple task, remove and fit bezel. Looks like it’s not simple lol. Hopefully I can learn and get better at it soon

Thank you:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here comes the saviour, thank you for the detailed guide bro. Much appreciated. I’ll order the 4 jaws tool and some blades right now. I’ve read your write up first thing haha.

For the heat if needed does the normal kitchen oven work or do i need a blow torch kind of thing?

Also do you happen to know if the Chinese Horotec rep tools will take genuine Horotec addons? Like i was thinking to order the genuine 4 jaws add on for the tool I have but don’t know if they will fit

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bezel-jaws-for-bezel-case-back-remover-horotec

Got so disappointed that i couldn’t even do a Simple task, remove and fit bezel. Looks like it’s not simple lol. Hopefully I can learn and get better at it soon

Thank you:)

I use the normal kitchen oven, just put the watch head on an oven pan and set it to bake haha. You might want to wait til the wife is out if applicable. There can be a slight odor when plastic is heated that high.

Can't answer if the gen Horotec blades will fit. My guess is they would. I have a more expensive 4 blade tool like the one in my guide, and also a cheap one I bought while waiting for some replacement blades. The cheap one works just as well.

Don't get discouraged. I never liked the two blade tools, and you got some tough samples to deal with right away. Many bezels are not too bad to work with.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Can't answer if the gen Horotec blades will fit. My guess is they would. I have a more expensive 4 blade tool like the one in my guide, and also a cheap one I bought while waiting for some replacement blades. The cheap one works just as well.

Thank you sir!
I want to get the expensive one too but the one with 4 blades that opens to 65mm is very expensive for me for now unless I improve then i dont mind spending that much. The cheaper one you mean from like Ali- E, replica of Horotec? I might just order the 4 blade jaw add on as well for my tool the one I posted above. It will be the same thing as a 4 blade tool i guess with genuine blades but for less than half the cost.
And for sure I’ll sneak into the kitchen when wife is out loll.
Thanks once again boss.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The cheaper one you mean from like Ali- E, replica of Horotec? I might just order the 4 blade jaw add on as well for my tool the one I posted above.

Yes, one like this. You really only need to use it to get the hytrel ring up onto the retaining ring lip.

1. Razor blade to make a gap for the tool blades
2. Bezel tool to force the gasket onto the lip evenly
3. Case knife to finish

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtyUSnM

Last edited:

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
I am compelled to post a "shout-out" to KJ - thanks again for sharing another part of your watch knowledge - I was about to toss a bezel that I bent while removing it from an old Aero nautic 2000 (yacht master style) that I am modding with a new xtal with the cyclops in the right position for a rep.

If you ever grow tired of your handle "Time Traveler", may I suggest The Oracle, or The Sage, or The Wise One, The Man, .....

Reactions: Lutaito and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Haha thanks bro. Truth is I'm just a stubborn ole codger that doesn't know how to give up. And I break a lot of stuff so I'm forced to figure out how to fix it. :cool:

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Yes, one like this. You really only need to use it to get the hytrel ring up onto the retaining ring lip.

1. Razor blade to make a gap for the tool blades
2. Bezel tool to force the gasket onto the lip evenly
3. Case knife to finish

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtyUSnM

Got it, ordered one. Now the waiting begins. Got the razer blades today. Ahh i hate waiting lol

Speaking of bezels, I have a explorer 2, the makers on the bezel some of them the black paint is off gone/faded. Enamel paint works work or any tips to bring that bezel to life?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Got it, ordered one. Now the waiting begins. Got the razer blades today. Ahh i hate waiting lol
Speaking of bezels, I have a explorer 2, the makers on the bezel some of them the black paint is off gone/faded. Enamel paint works work or any tips to bring that bezel to life?

Buy some thinner and get a little ceramic bowl. Mix a small amount of enamel paint and thinner together in a ratio of 4 drops thinner to 1 drop paint. Dip your brush into the mix, dab it on a piece of paper to drain away excess then dab the brush into a numeral cutout. The mix will run to the cutout limits, aid it along with the brush gently. Fill up the marker spaces. The thinner will evaporate out and leave you with very smooth level markers.

Use a damp (not dripping) q-tip with alcohol to clean up excess on the insert surface before it dries. Don't let alcohol get into the cutouts. If some dries do the same technique but use thinner or acetone (goof off)

Do more coats til you're satisfied with it. Keep stirring your mix as you work. About a teaspoon of mix will do all the cutouts.

Some examples here
https://www.repgeek.com/keeping-up-...paint-explorer-ii.html?highlight=Kj2020+paint

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchSmith.US

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] thank you again bro. I’ll do this soon.

So update on the GMT bezel, i inserted the blade, tapped a little with a hammer while the watch case was held in the vice. Then i tried to lift the bezel while blade was in, and guess what the blade broke and a part was left in the bezel lol.
I removed the crystal, pried out the insert ( broke that too) and saw the wire spring thing in the bezel. Pried that out but it is no more in the round ( its original shape) now :(

Insert i can order new one it was a glue down insert. Can I source that wire spring from somewhere? Or is this bezel useless now?
Tried to lookup on Ali E and ebay for that spring but no luck yet.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It's not common for a 6 digit case to have the wire attachment method except for cheaper cases.

I would try bending the wire back into shape. I've had to do that a few times. Two pairs of needle nose pliers or one pair and some vice grips etc. You can even make your own, it's just wire, about 24 or 25 gauge. I don't recall ever seeing them for sale separately anywhere though.

When it comes to replacing the wire and bezel, the usual method is to insert the wire in the gap one segment at a time. That gets harder the further along you get, so another method I discovered is to use bracelet tape to hold the wire in the bezel groove. Then just place the bezel on the case, and cut the tape and pull it out. The bracelet tape is uniquely great for this task because it it super strong and sticks to itself quite well. Also it is very slick on the non-sticky side so it slides out easily after being cut.

2nOlW.jpg

2n12Q.jpg

2nYfS.jpg

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] ah man looks like This will be going in the trash drawer.
Idk if I can make the wire. Is it just round that we need because the one that was in the was like a little shaped like star shaped not flat round. So idk if i can redo that shape

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Post some pics of the bezel and the wire, maybe you could use something else like fishline. Why did you want the bezel off, to change the crystal? Looks like that cyclops is in the ETA/DG date window position.

hWzks.jpg

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Heres how the wire looks like.
Wanted to practice replacing-swapping crystals and bezels of different sorts and i get stuck on my first samples haha

I managed to somehow bring it a bit back in round ish shape but not what it was looking like
69037242f48dc3e848e6045eda6aecbb.jpg

b32e00862762ff68e7142392aa11785d.jpg

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] some more pics with bezel as well

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So is there a click and spring that fits in a hole in the case?

Is there a crystal retaining ring or is it molded into the case?

I wouldn't give up on this watch. That wire could be salvaged but starting with a new one might be easier for you. Seriously it is a simple thing to make one. Just find some similar thickness and density wire, cut a piece to match the length and put 5 - 7 slight angle bends in it. Hobby shop or hardware store, or online. Measure the diameter and convert it to a gauge. A little spool of SS wire is not expensive.

Another option is measure the thickness of the wire and find some fishline slightly smaller in diameter to fit the bezel groove. I've used 0.56 - 0.64mm fishline to fix many bezels, it works well and holds tight. Start small and work up to larger if it's too loose.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Thank you bro!
Yeah i dont want to give up on it just yet. Plus i wanna learn this so might take a while but i hope i can get it. I will go to the store today and get the wire its 0.4mm thick.
Im just confused to where and how to make those bends so the wire sticks into the groove of the bezel. I guess when i get A new one ill try to figure it out

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you bro!
Yeah i dont want to give up on it just yet. Plus i wanna learn this so might take a while but i hope i can get it. I will go to the store today and get the wire its 0.4mm thick.
Im just confused to where and how to make those bends so the wire sticks into the groove of the bezel. I guess when i get A new one ill try to figure it out

Use this one as a guide. Measure the total length of yours and divide by 8 to get each segment length. You could get away with fewer segments probably, the straight segments are what goes under the retaining ring lip. The bent angles stay in the bezel groove. 0.4mm is 26 guage.

https://metalwerx.com/gauge-inch-mm-conversion-chart

z2CvkQ.jpg

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Use this one as a guide. Measure the total length of yours and divide by 8 to get each segment length. You could get away with fewer segments probably, the straight segments are what goes under the retaining ring lip. The bent angles stay in the bezel groove. 0.4mm is 26 guage.

https://metalwerx.com/gauge-inch-mm-conversion-chart

z2CvkQ.jpg

Thanks brother will try to get this done in the next couple of days. Also waiting on that 4 jaws tool coming later this week for the other Orient watch case

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] ok so finally got my 4 blade tool and another bummer. Looks like the tools 4 blades are not evenly sitting between the lug and the case for the Orient case. If two blades will sit other 2 are way off and i just cant get 4 to sit in and with 2 in place it doesn’t pop off the bezel. Now idl I got unlucky and the tool is very cheaply made and isn’t even or there is a trick to make to work that im unable to figure out. Maybe unscrew the blades on the tool and change angles? Thought I’d ask you first. Tried to push in the razor blade first as well but that makes a VERY small lift almost non visible and still my case knife isnt going in.

Also, i ordered original horotec blade replacement for my tool and they fit in the chinese tool very well but again with 2 blades its not helping. At least i know the rep tools or horotec take genuine blades.

Now I could order this addon for my tool and it would be working as a genuine horotec tool no? Its the 4 blade add on to my tool

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bezel-jaws-for-bezel-case-back-remover-horotec?code=C52364

Still waiting for my 26 gauge wire to arrive to continue with the gmt bezel and case.
0f88c4b17650d5ae0466814f7c716728.jpg

eec86b668ad791b85059f59d509c9be9.jpg

a66afdad6485192a9726e71bfbb93044.jpg