• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bezel insert - what glue to use?

Harley357

1/9/08
I have removed a bezel insert and cleaned out the old glue residue from bezel and insert. Now I was going to put the bezel insert back, but the 2 types of glue i wanted to use didn't work so far. I tried Contact cement and a glue called "Amazing goop" which has worked for almost everything I used it for in the past. So far it hasn't worked this time.

I want to stay away from super glue. The only other thing I haven't tried yet would 5 minute epoxy.

Any better suggestions on what type of glue I should use?

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
You sanded the insert down I take it?..
Should be a snug fit to begin with
and a little bit of gorilla glue should do the trick.

take a toothpick.. and dab a little around the insert..
put the insert in apply a tiny bit of pressure and then wala your good to go !

- Ex

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
Gorilla glue is correct... but squeeze some onto a paper plate first.... then swirl it with a toothpick.... when it starts frothing, then use it... you'll get better results!

Make sure to have compression on the insert for a while.....

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Super glue works fine. Just don't expect to get the F'er off in one peice after that.

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
I use, as recommended from aftermarket insert dealers, shoes repair glue, called also "contact glue".
This one you put glue on the both face, you let dry for 10 minutes, and then you assemble and press for some seconds.

This is -my own opinion- the best way to hold parts together, even if the watch goes in water.

With this kind of glue, the assembling can be disassembled very easy.

I use the "gel" or "cream" type instead of the "liquid". Just to avoid mess. I apply it with a tooth pic, deposing on both parts, bezel ring and insert, a little quantity of glue on 4 spots, at 12, 3, 6 and nine. Works fine.

Harley357

1/9/08
Thanks for all the replies. I made the mistake of not sanding the insert, I just cleaned with Lacquer thinner. Maybe that's why my first attempts with contact cement failed.

The bezel insert is unfortunately not really tightly fitted. I just sits in there pretty loose. This is the original insert that came with the watch. I have a replacement bezel that I wanted to use initially but it doesn't fit. It is too big in outer diameter and worse - it is also too thick. So I am just going to put the original one back in.

Got this Gorilla Glue now and also 30 Minute Epoxy. Both are waterproof when set. Thanks for all the suggestions. Have to figure out which one is easier to use, I don't want to make a mess and get glue between bezel and crystal..