• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Straps for AP. OEM VS Orloff, Donerix, Jacobs....

stevek16

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/10/09
El Poblado
Who makes the best quality straps out there and how does it rate against OEM. I'm looking to get a few straps made and looking to get the highest quality.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
[MENTION=1976]tootall[/MENTION] does some pretty nice work too

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Checkout those links. I buy mine from Donerix and AP Bands.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
For me it is important for the strap maker to use the plastic inserts from your existing rep strap. Otherwise the strap fit will not be perfect on the rep watch.

spursian

Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
So far I've bought from Orloff, Jacob, SMP, and Donerix and my fav two are Jacob and SMP. However, you'll need to send your JF inserts to Jacob to make the strap whereas SMP has them readily available. Jacob's hides are in a class of its own but also more expensive.

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
I have not try Orloff yet for his AP straps, but IMHO Jacobs' AP Hornback strap is simply awesome!

ixBqS9C.jpg

3rfvluL.jpg

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
Vic's (SMP) have always had the best fit for me.

Variatio Delectat

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/13
Planet Earth
I have not try Orloff yet for his AP straps, but IMHO Jacobs' AP Hornback strap is simply awesome!

I tried Orloff once, but the quality did not even come close to Jacob. His "rough" straps may be suitable for Pams, but IMO not at all for APs. However Jacob indeed needs the inserts to be sent to him, whilst Vic (very decent straps too) already has them available.

pure b

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/14
Jacobs straps are the best looking imho but are fairly expensive.

I am wearing a Donerix one on my RC now.
As it doesn't have inserts I made my own from the "ink shaft" of a Bic pen. Cut off a small piece to fit between the plots and put the piece inside the strap. Then fitted the plots to the strap and the whole to the case. It fits like a glove now.

rnrprof

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
24/3/14
United States
Jacobs straps are the best looking imho but are fairly expensive.

I am wearing a Donerix one on my RC now.
As it doesn't have inserts I made my own from the "ink shaft" of a Bic pen. Cut off a small piece to fit between the plots and put the piece inside the strap. Then fitted the plots to the strap and the whole to the case. It fits like a glove now.

Do you have any pics of what you did? I thought about using Eric's straps and somehow getting the plastic inserts from my rep strap into Eric's strap but I cannot figure an easy way to do it. I like Vic's straps a lot as well as Jacob and Ericgets some great hydes at times- but he is personna non-grata here at the present.

MrBeasy

8/2/16
Do you have any pics of what you did? I thought about using Eric's straps and somehow getting the plastic inserts from my rep strap into Eric's strap but I cannot figure an easy way to do it. I like Vic's straps a lot as well as Jacob and Ericgets some great hydes at times- but he is personna non-grata here at the present.
+1 for pics please. I have a couple without inserts and would like to try this...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pure b

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/14
I cut of 2 small pieces of plastic from a ink shaft like this and put in in the lug side of the strap. In the piece of leather between the 2 cut-outs for the plots

61450.jpg

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
As far as the JF AP 15400, is SMP the best since Jacob does not take orders any longer for this particular model? Thanks.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Personally, OEM, HautStrapmakerie, Jacob, D9, Horus, ABP and Analog rule the roost of AP straps for my tastes.